I'm on the market for a new guitar once again, and I was wondering what would suit my playing style well. I play mostly Punk music and Indie Rock. I already have a MIM Tele which preform's pretty well for me, I'm just looking for something to add to my collection. I will have about 1500 dollars at the time. Thanks in advance!
dunno what you're plugging into but that money could also be spent on an amp. Pigeon is right though. Pretty much any guitar in that price range should do just fine. I wouldn't worry about spending extra on active pups when passives would do just fine, and IMO sound better anyway. You could go for a Schecter C-1 custom with a pickup swap(the stock ones typically don't satisfy the owner...). Ibanez prestige also falls into that category if you wanna try something with a paper thin neck.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Punk and Indie?

I'd say a Strat or a Tele would do it for you. Maybe a fat strat for a bit more chunk for the punk. With 1500 bucks on your side you're spoilt for choice really! plenty of mexican fat strats going for around 700 bucks leaving a little amp money too!
strat.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Indie?
Anything that plays well and sounds good.

Punk?
Anything that makes noise.

Quote by CrazyPigeon
Anything that's not "metal" will be fine really at that price range.

+1

EDIT: Whoa, whoa, whoa. Sorry for not reading the OP all the way, but you have a MIM Telecaster and a budget of $1500? I'd say get a new amp. or spend like $700 (or whatever) on a guitar and the rest on the amp. Nothing reinvigorates you're love of playing the guitars you have then playing them through a new amp. It's like giving a guitar a whole new voice. And once you buy a $1500 guitar, that's an instrument that you'd probably want to keep for a while, you should definitely narrow your criteria before dropping that wad on a single guitar.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jul 19, 2011,
Dude, I know its fun to get a new guitar and all (Just got my own brand new just-out-of-the-box Tele ) but stick with your Tele. Get a new amp!

I don't know much, but I'm guessing some kind of Fender, or maybe a Traynor, or an amp with really good cleans would work for you. When you need punk just turn up the gain a bit more, or go to your bridge p'up. Don't take my word for it though, thats what I would do. Wait for more answers first before you make a decision.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
PRS Mirra, It has the best quality and sound in its price range. A used PRS CE22/24 would be a great choice also you get single coils and humbuckers in one great guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
what sort of amp do you have?

you may be best off spending some money on a new amp and putting the rest into new tele pickups
I'll probably spend about half my money on an amp then and save up a bit longer to get a American Standard Strat. I'll get one of those Marshall MA50's or MA-100's. Played one before in a shop and it was beautiful for the price. Has anybody else had experience with any marshall MA series amps?
Last edited by MrCloudshoe at Jul 19, 2011,
OR get a (second-hand maybe) HSS Strat. There was just a thread about how versatile they are. I dont know Fender very well though. They might not have a super-awesome $1500 HSS Strat.

You know, if you REALLY need to buy a new guitar.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Or a Gibson SG Classic.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
The best advice I ever read on here about punk guitars went along the lines of:
Buy the cheapest guitar you can find at a pawn shop and spend the rest on speed
I'd say a Mosrite fits both genres if you really want to spend money on your guitar. But basically you want the weirdest guitar you can find that is still playable - Hofner solidbodies, Teiscos, Eastwoods, Silvertones, etc.

If you've got $1500 to drop on a guitar you've probably got a sweet amp already right? If not get a sweet amp first and then figure the new guitar part out. For punk and indie you again probably want something kinda strange and old that has the vibe. Silvertone, Supro, Kay. If you can't find something like that a Fender might work with a fuzz or something or a Vox or Marshall (or copy if you're inclined).

Like was said before you pretty much just want 'not metal and maybe not classic rock and maybe not jazz but those are kind of okay I guess if it's really awesome so don't worry too much about it and just get something awesome'.
find a nice used vintagey guitar lke thisman said^ tiesco and kay are the key words.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Sir Anonymous
Buy the cheapest guitar you can find at a pawn shop and spend the rest on speed

Sigged

(This is going to be my new go-to answer to any of these "What Guitar Should I get?" threads)
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jul 20, 2011,