I've recently got the idea to figure out the modes of both melodic and harmonic minor scales, so I wrote them out and figured out how each mode is spelled.

So my question is what is the proper name for each of these modes?
For harmonic minor I found:
harmonic minor
locrian nat 6
Ionian augmented
Dorian #4
Phrygian dominant
Lydian #2
ultralocrian

melodic:
melodic minor
Phrygian nat 6
Lydian augmented
Lydian dominant
mixolydian b6
locrian nat 6
super locrian or altered

Are these the names that I should use for these?
Before I tell you that. Can you give examples for all of those where you would be playing a mode of the harmonic and melodic minor scales?
Ionian #5 or Augmented 5th is what I would call it based on the intervals, though I never bothered to look up the names of the modes in the harmonic minor scale other than what I've heard people call them.
Quote by griffRG7321
Before I tell you that. Can you give examples for all of those where you would be playing a mode of the harmonic and melodic minor scales?

Over modal progressions you would be playing modal, but I did this more for the use of suggestive play so I'm not too worried about playing modally. I just wanted to know if these are the names I should use because they can be called different names ( mixolydian b6 could be called aeolian dominant)
Quote by ibz120
Over modal progressions you would be playing modal, but I did this more for the use of suggestive play so I'm not too worried about playing modally. I just wanted to know if these are the names I should use because they can be called different names ( mixolydian b6 could be called aeolian dominant)

For suggestive play you can use the name "major or minor scale with accidentals".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I know it's not technically correct, but thinking of the melodic minor, harmonic minor and marmonic major in the following way really helped me get more comfortable with familiarising myself with where to find their notes one the fretboard and with integrating them into my playing (in a chord/scale theory type of way)

Ok, so let's say that the harmonic minor (natural minor with a raised 7th) is an "Aeolian scale" with a #7. Now we just cycle through the modes, so we have

Aeolian with #7
Locrian with #6
Ionian with #5
Dorian with #4
Phyrgian with #3
Lydian with #2
Mixolydian with #1

Obviously this is incorrect, but the approach helped me. I used the same idea calling the melodic minor Dorian with #7 and the harmonic major Ionian with b6.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.