Recently i bought a LTD guitar and the lowest 3 strings start rusting after around a month, should i change all of them? do ppl usually change all of the strings when they buy a new guitar?
Also, any suggestion of what kinda strings shud i get?

Thanks!
I would change them, and make sure you change all of them at the same time.

I would recommend Elixir (nanoweb or polyweb) 9's or 10's whichever is more comfortable for you.
Where's Waldo?
Yes ofcourse you should, a month is changing time depending how much you sweat on your palms while playing.

If you sweat alot, go for coated strings like elixers. If not, just see what you like best.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
Quote by JonnyH
Yes ofcourse you should, a month is changing time depending how much you sweat on your palms while playing.

If you sweat alot, go for coated strings like elixers. If not, just see what you like best.

Yeah I've had Elixir's last me 6 months
Where's Waldo?
Yeah, do all of them. It'll sound best and feel best. Strings are cheap anyway, and get Elixirs as they're not much more than other brands but last ages,
Change the strings.
Adjust the intonation.
Keep checking the intonation over time, it only takes a few seconds. If the intonation has drifted much, it's time to change them.

Rinse and repeat for the rest of your life.
Watching your intonation tells you how the health of your strings is going.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thx for the info guys
So I got few more questions
1) how often do u usually change strings?
2) r different strings used to play different genres?
is elixir a good choice if I play heavy metal and metalcore?
i restring every 2 weeks. heavey playing and thats still a little to long.

hate coated strings, feel weird....even the ones that say they dont....

DR and ocasionally Ddarrio....these companies have earned my loyalty in terms of quality, sound, and life.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
i restring every 2 weeks to a month, if i could i afford i would like everyweek, nothing better than a brand new set of strings to play on!

i dont know if your gonna down tune at all, but if your gonna play drop C or lower than get the D'Darrio Drop C Strings probably the best strings ive ever played

and for standard and a 1/2 step down i use ernie ball power slinkys

different gauges are usually used for different genres
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
is it necessary to change all the strings even only my high E string is broken? (my guitar has a FR)
I change my strings if one breaks, but if they don't break within three months, I'll change them.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 5, 2011,
My motto: Change early, change often.

Seriously, I change my strings after 2 weeks.

Also, I'd reccommend if you have a Floyd to change all the strings in a single sitting, but not take more than 1 string off at a time. If you do take more than 1 string off at a time, tuning after you put the strings back on is going to be a nightmare.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by PsiGuy60
My motto: Change early, change often.

Seriously, I change my strings after 2 weeks.

Also, I'd reccommend if you have a Floyd to change all the strings in a single sitting, but not take more than 1 string off at a time. If you do take more than 1 string off at a time, tuning after you put the strings back on is going to be a nightmare.

so do i nidda follow a pattern? i saw some of the guys on youtube saying u hv to do the high E, then low E, then A... something like that.. is it necessary?

also i got a problem.., after loosening all of the fine tuners, i cant loosen the allen screws, any of u got the same problem?
when i tune, i do the low E then the high e, B string, A string, G string and then the D string, i think it helps keep balanace in the springs.

which allen screws? the ones on the nut or the ones on the bridge?
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by M_16A
when i tune, i do the low E then the high e, B string, A string, G string and then the D string, i think it helps keep balanace in the springs.

which allen screws? the ones on the nut or the ones on the bridge?

the one on the nut, i can easily take out the one on the bridge
Quote by M_16A
i restring every 2 weeks to a month, if i could i afford i would like everyweek, nothing better than a brand new set of strings to play on!

i dont know if your gonna down tune at all, but if your gonna play drop C or lower than get the D'Darrio Drop C Strings probably the best strings ive ever played

and for standard and a 1/2 step down i use ernie ball power slinkys

different gauges are usually used for different genres

this. same way here
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Quote by Bellion
Thx for the info guys

1) change them every 1 to 3 months depending on how often you play and also how much your palm/fingers sweat. A tell tale sign to change them is that they are turning black with dirt on the underside, you can make them last longer with string polish or "fast fret" I swear by fast fret, it makes the strings slick and makes sliding and playing quick much much easier

2) Different strings are more for tuning and tonal preference, and ease of play to an extent.

For example, a .9 gauge set of strings will bend very very easily, but as the trade, your "tone" may not be as good (this is preference really) and they won't hold their sustain as well as fat strings, the heavier you get, the tougher bending gets, but resosance and tone go up too. "default" string sets are usuall .9's or .10's going up to 46,

Heavier gauge strings will downtune better because they are thicker and hold a higher tension, for example, if you want to tune to C standard, you may use strings that go from .16 on the top string to .56 on the bottom, they will be thick and hard, but strumming feels really good (in my opinion) and the resonance is fantastic so these strings are great for modern metal and metal core.

Personally, I use 10's or 11's (usually 11's as I like the touger feel, strumming rhythm is nicer on it for me) because I play blues and more old stuff, but the 11's have enough tension to let me downtune a full step and a half if I want to, (for example, Black Stone Cherry- Rain Wizard is in Drop Dflat standard) without getting too floppy.

As for string brand, I'll be honest, I don't feel a difference on a brand by brand basis, BUT, coated strings feel amazing and last ages, so they are worth the premium, I use Ernie Ball titanium coated usually if I am getting coated, and I keep a set of 11 gauge at home if they snap. Usually I take my guitar to the store for restringing because they throw in a full set up for free (even stoning the frets once for free!)
Ernie Ball super slinkys are my choice but you want thicker strings if you're into Lower Tunings.
*I change them every few months and I play a few times a week.
*Change them right away if you see any sign of rust.
*I usually just go from Low E to high e when changing all the strings.
*Keep your hands clean and dry and Wipe your strings down with a clean cloth after playing so you can get the most out of them.
^ what he said.

I forgot to mention, always wash your hands before playing, it might seem a bit anal retentive, but it will clean all the crap off your hands before you touch the guitar, and therefore make the strings last longer, this is especially useful if like me you have super acidic sweat which breaks down strings, walls, buildings, melts faces, and generally causes a nuisance
Quote by Bellion
do u hv to cut off all the strings b4 loosening the screws?

no cuz then your bridge will go out of whack,

you take of the locking nut, then do one string at a time. you loosen it down untill you can unwind it off the tuning peg, then remove it from the bridge, then restring it, then move to the next string, but tune it back before going to the next string
Quote by SMTHSCN
1) change them every 1 to 3 months depending on how often you play and also how much your palm/fingers sweat. A tell tale sign to change them is that they are turning black with dirt on the underside, you can make them last longer with string polish or "fast fret" I swear by fast fret, it makes the strings slick and makes sliding and playing quick much much easier

2) Different strings are more for tuning and tonal preference, and ease of play to an extent.

For example, a .9 gauge set of strings will bend very very easily, but as the trade, your "tone" may not be as good (this is preference really) and they won't hold their sustain as well as fat strings, the heavier you get, the tougher bending gets, but resosance and tone go up too. "default" string sets are usuall .9's or .10's going up to 46,

Heavier gauge strings will downtune better because they are thicker and hold a higher tension, for example, if you want to tune to C standard, you may use strings that go from .16 on the top string to .56 on the bottom, they will be thick and hard, but strumming feels really good (in my opinion) and the resonance is fantastic so these strings are great for modern metal and metal core.

Personally, I use 10's or 11's (usually 11's as I like the touger feel, strumming rhythm is nicer on it for me) because I play blues and more old stuff, but the 11's have enough tension to let me downtune a full step and a half if I want to, (for example, Black Stone Cherry- Rain Wizard is in Drop Dflat standard) without getting too floppy.

As for string brand, I'll be honest, I don't feel a difference on a brand by brand basis, BUT, coated strings feel amazing and last ages, so they are worth the premium, I use Ernie Ball titanium coated usually if I am getting coated, and I keep a set of 11 gauge at home if they snap. Usually I take my guitar to the store for restringing because they throw in a full set up for free (even stoning the frets once for free!)

wow tat really helps a lot yeh my high E, B and G strings hv already turned black so it's time for a change..
btw i guess brand doesnt matter if they r well known..i once bought a high E string in a cheap music store nearby and it rusts after like 3-4 days :p
What I would do is buy full sets, it might seem silly, but put it this way: when one string snaps, if they are all from the same set, they are all bound to be in a similar condition, so it's worth replacing the whole set, packs of strings are cheap thankfully, so no need to worry about changing them, personally I don't give a hoot what strings I buy, whether they are ernie ball or Daddario or Elixer, these 3 brans are all awesome, you can get quite technical over strings, some people swear they sound different etc etc or some are better than others, but to my ears, there is very little sonic differentiation, I can definitely feel a difference in my hands when playing, but that usually lasts about a week till the initial niceness wears off, and then I am relying on the fast fret to keep them clean!

I would say play is safe for now and get the ernie Ball sets, or if you want to splash out, get some coated strings that will last forever!

When you say rust, do you mean literally rust like turn orange/red? cause is messed up man lol

Glad to have helped!
Hmm looks like they're brown in color and theres the smell of stinky rusting on my hands after playing lol..
Never heard about the fast fret product, is it a kinda oil u put on the strings to make them easier to slide on? May hv a look in the store tmr
yeh they definitely need replacing, I think this time round get the guy in the store to do it, and buy some strings and the fast fret for in a month to do it yourself

Fast fret is like a stick thing and a wipe cloth, you rub the stick on the strings and then wipe the strings down on the top and bottom, and it makes them very slick
I change strings when my sustain becomes non existant. Aww yeah fresh pair of blue steels on a les paul.
I haven't changed strings on 1 of my guitars for about a year now that has a floyd rose and i play it fairly regularly...1 because i'm lazy and 2 string eze (string lube) plus wiping down the strings before and after playing helps...hmm come to think of it most of my guitars strings haven't been changed in at least 4 months with fairly regular playing
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Quote by Bellion
Thx for the info guys

Cathbard covered it.

Learn how to check the intonation and check it often.

I've had Elixir 12-56 strings last five or six months on my acoustic.

I don't use them on my electrics because of the pure abuse my strings take.

Some whammy bar tricks do horrible things in terms of string wear.

I've had a set of Ernie Ball 09-46 last two or three days, Most times they last about two or three weeks. I've even had them last over six weeks a couple of times.

EDIT:
It's all about the intonation.

No time tables about how long strings should last they last as long as they last.

Don't replace good strings just because it's been say a month or something. The converse is also true.

Don't keep playing a worn out set of strings because you changed them last week.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Aug 7, 2011,
Quote by Willowthewitch
Cathbard covered it.

Learn how to check the intonation and check it often.

I've had Elixir 12-56 strings last five or six months on my acoustic.

I don't use them on my electrics because of the pure abuse my strings take.

Some whammy bar tricks do horrible things in terms of string wear.

I've had a set of Ernie Ball 09-46 last two or three days, Most times they last about two or three weeks. I've even had them last over six weeks a couple of times.

EDIT:
It's all about the intonation.

No time tables about how long strings should last they last as long as they last.

Don't replace good strings just because it's been say a month or something. The converse is also true.

Don't keep playing a worn out set of strings because you changed them last week.

sry..im rly a newbie..
how do u check the intonation?
Quote by Bellion
sry..im rly a newbie..
how do u check the intonation?

in a nut shell you to make sure the open note, the note at the 12th fret, and the harmnoic on the 12 are all in tune exactly