I'm after a few opinions from folk who might have had the chance to try out different low-end Vox amps. I currently have a Vox VT15 which I've enjoyed using for about 12 months. However, what I'm starting to find is that, despite all the various modelled Amps available, I'm really only using a couple of them - basically a hard rock sound and a clean sound. The high-gain amps don't get a look in (they sound messy) and most of the low-gain ones either (all rather similar).

The tone from the VT15 seemed amazing when I got it but I'm starting to think it sounds a bit artificial and I find myself flipping between the hard-rock amp models (UK 80's, UK90s, California metal, US 90s) not really settling on any of them for very long. I know it's only a practice amp and I shouldn't expect amazing results.

So I thought I'd try and go for an amp with less bells and whistles, fewer options, but with a more natural sound. So I was looking at the Vox range and I see they have a variety of valve\tube low-end amps - the AC4, the Lil'Night Train. Can anyone compare the tonal qualities of these different Vox amps, perhaps to the VT15? Would the simpler, low-power tube amps sound more natural (less artifical) than the VT15?

I guess I'm wondering whether I've just got the bug and I'm looking for reason to buy some new kit (!) or whether my ears have started to appreciate different (modelled) amp tones after a year of playing.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

And for the record, yes I am looking to purchase, budget is about £500, live in the UK, my play style is indie\rock (Foo Fighters kinda stuff), mostly practice amp for the house, but with enough oophm for a little jamming - no gigs though.

Cheers!

Ash
I haven't played a VT15 or LNT so I unfortunately can't help you.

I can however send you an Under the Bridge cover I recorded on an AC4 for someone on here who was interested in buying mine (it's for sale).

My honest appraisal...

You say you want a natural sound, well the AC4 has quite an organic sound IMO. Honestly I think it would benefit from a speaker upgrade, and I think a chunk should be cut out of the back.

Sweet spot of the distortion is at about 6-7, it can lose clarity when driven harder than that. Otherwise it's good and punchy. It takes pedals alright. I'd recommend getting an EQ pedal to go with it.

Has enough 'oomph' for jamming, unless you have an overzealous drummer but quietens down nicely for bedroom use. Construction is solid and I've had no problems with it over the last year and a half.

The amp has nice clarity and does have some of the typical Vox chime. For the money it's a great buy. In fact it surprised me how much it cost when I bought it given that it sounds so tasty. It'll do indie-rock just fine as well.
Last edited by Duv at Jul 19, 2011,
Honestly, unless you've got some really bad conditions where you need a low watt amp (living in an apartment, college dorm) then save up and get whatever the hell amp you want. i dont believe in buying a new amp and then out growing it in 6 months or so
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Cheers for all the advice Duv. I've watched a few review videos on YouTube and everyone seems to like it but I do wonder about the recording quality of some of them.

I did a bit more reading and I get the impression the Lil Night Train's sound tends to break up early and it's also pretty damn loud. I think if I went Vox then the AC4 is the way to go, at least for me.

BTW, did you have the combo or the head unit with the seperate cab?

Cheers!
Depends on what you play. Night Train is voiced more modern, the AC4 is pretty much the same as the original AC4 so it's a vintagey sound.

The AC4 combo's sound boxy due to their small speakers. The Head and 1x12 cab sounds nicer, but its still a great sounding combo.

Both are very loud amps given their size, but the AC4 has an attenuator built in.
Quote by Dan_5893
Depends on what you play. Night Train is voiced more modern, the AC4 is pretty much the same as the original AC4 so it's a vintagey sound.

The Night Train doesn't have the signature AC30 chime just in case that's a key consideration for your amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Maybe an AC4 head and a 1x12 cab or something?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
If you want trebley cleans and vintage distortions, AC4.

If you want deeper, thicker distortions (at lower volumes), Lil' Night Train

If you want everything else on the earth, VT15
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by AshersUK
Cheers for all the advice Duv. I've watched a few review videos on YouTube and everyone seems to like it but I do wonder about the recording quality of some of them.

I did a bit more reading and I get the impression the Lil Night Train's sound tends to break up early and it's also pretty damn loud. I think if I went Vox then the AC4 is the way to go, at least for me.

BTW, did you have the combo or the head unit with the seperate cab?

Cheers!

Combo. Still have it. Feel free to buy it off me

Also I'd recommend buying an AC4 combo and then feeding that into a cab if you so wish. That way you keep the portability etc but have the benefits of different speakers/cabs for when you're at home.
Last edited by Duv at Jul 20, 2011,