Hmm I guess a strat would be a little more versatile because it has 5 pickup combinations.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I choose option C, the super-strat that isn't made by fender and happens to be neck-through with a floating bridge
strat !
Gear:
-Squier Bullet Strat

DUNLOP CRY BABY

-Peavey ValveKing 212
HSS strat hands down. I can't remember who said it(Clapton or Gilmour I think) You can make a strat sound like a les paul, but you can't make a les paul sound like a strat. To break it down in a more "objective" fashion.

Les Pauls are meatier, heavier, and unless you go CS have P90's or buckers. Combine that with the mahogany body and you have a very warm, thick, hefty tone.

Strats come in bajillions of configurations. Typically you have an alder or ash body. Both towards the brighter end of the spectrum with ash being a bit warmer. With a bridge humbucker you can fatten up the tone by rolling off the tone a bit and doing some minor EQ tweaks. Or you can make it bright as the sun with virtually the same effort. You're gonna fight a lot more to do this with a LP if at all. Strats come with pretty stable trems, most LPs don't.

I'm not saying a strat is the be all end all solution for everything, but it's waaaaaaay more versatile than your average LP. Bring on the flames......
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
to me both of them are versatile. because strats are great if you want bright sound all thanks to its single coil pickups. and the les paul has a meatier sound because of its humbuckers.

but since some strat models has a HSS setup. you got the best of both worlds, but of course change the pickups
Quote by repairmanjack
HSS strat hands down. I can't remember who said it(Clapton or Gilmour I think) You can make a strat sound like a les paul, but you can't make a les paul sound like a strat. To break it down in a more "objective" fashion.

Les Pauls are meatier, heavier, and unless you go CS have P90's or buckers. Combine that with the mahogany body and you have a very warm, thick, hefty tone.

Strats come in bajillions of configurations. Typically you have an alder or ash body. Both towards the brighter end of the spectrum with ash being a bit warmer. With a bridge humbucker you can fatten up the tone by rolling off the tone a bit and doing some minor EQ tweaks. Or you can make it bright as the sun with virtually the same effort. You're gonna fight a lot more to do this with a LP if at all. Strats come with pretty stable trems, most LPs don't.

I'm not saying a strat is the be all end all solution for everything, but it's waaaaaaay more versatile than your average LP. Bring on the flames......

^This though honestly it's a better choice since you can handle more genres and get more sounds out of one axe HSS recommended
i think versatility is subjective.

if you're trying to make a les paul sound like a strat or vice versa you're doing it wrong, but both guitars offer very usable tones that a good player can fit into any musical style. i happen to prefer a les paul tone over a strat tone in most styles of music and as a result i personally consider the les paul to be a little more versatile because i find strat tones aren't really satisfactory for my tastes in a lot of "genres".

it's all about what the player can do with the guitar at the end of the day, so if you're choosing between a strat and a les paul, just go with whichever one suits you best, i'm sure if you try enough of them you'll figure that out.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by fenderfreak100
i would say les paul
cause you can coil tap a humbucker

ummmm coil tapping is a decent way to get by. but really you can't make a bucker sound like a SC just like you can't make a SC sound like a bucker. Although I have seen SC's come waay closer than coil tap
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by W4RP1G
HSS strat with a LR Baggs piezo bridge is an amazingly versatile guitar.

fixed.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i know right? i'm thinking i should have done that when i replaced my strat bridge a while back.

live and learn.

i played one once, great little units. through an acoustic amp or PA it's a sweet tone to blend single coils with.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Strat, although the Les Paul Axcess is one of the most versatile guitars possible. Especially the Alex Lifeson model which has a piezo floyd rose.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
I got a LP and i find it can play anything. although i did add Seymour Duncan pickups, thats what i suggest
Naw, Tele's FTW!

Seriously though, completely stock, an HSS strat would be best.

IMHO
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
stratocaster.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
strats and les pauls in there traditional forms would be good at making strat and les paul sounds respectively.

fat strats are a bit more versitile

superstrats can be even more so.
Strats.

Because it's a shit-ton easier to mod a Strat to spec than a LP.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by rob904
I choose option C, the super-strat that isn't made by fender and happens to be neck-through with a floating bridge

+1
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Why not have the best of both worlds with one of these. LP shaped mahogany body and set mahogany neck and an ebony fretboard. It's thin like a Strat and H/S/S, also has great fret access like a Strat, but still some of the grunt of an LP.

Cuz an LP doesnt hug back.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Why not have the best of both worlds with one of these. LP shaped mahogany body and set mahogany neck and an ebony fretboard. It's thin like a Strat and H/S/S, also has great fret access like a Strat, but still some of the grunt of an LP.

Kramer Assault 211 FR

You still can't get it to sound like a strat, the mahogany body prevents any twang.

Strats can get the twang, or you can roll off the tone and not have any twang, with any mahogany bodied guitar, you just can't to that, unless you have a stupidly bright amp.

An HSS strat is still more versatility, simply because it can get those bright tones, as well as the meaty warm tones.
Most of the answers in this thread are wrong, not because the people are mistaken, but because the question is wrong. The right question is "Should I have both an LP and a strat?" (and an SG, and a hollowbody, and a tele, even if they are ugly, and an explorer, and it goes on for a while...)
The answers that were given are actually very good and the people know what they are talking about.
I did some mods on my son's Beast, (HH if you dont know) and with the phase reverse I got such a quack I couldn't believe I wasn't on coil tap. I was pleasantly surprised.
Well, the LP does have 2 volume 2 tone and you can install a piezo bridge.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Strats beyond the shadow of a doubt. You can change pickup combinations in a strat to get any sound, just by changing the pickguard depending on how it's routed. With an LP, it's either H-H or rout it up for something else. Plus, if a strat needs a new neck, it's much easier removing the bolt on then a LP's set neck.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by RebuildIt
Most of the answers in this thread are wrong, not because the people are mistaken, but because the question is wrong. The right question is "Should I have both an LP and a strat?" (and an SG, and a hollowbody, and a tele, even if they are ugly, and an explorer, and it goes on for a while...)
The answers that were given are actually very good and the people know what they are talking about.

What i was meaning to ask was - If you play a variety of genres and you were allowed to take only one guitar on tour, would you take your strat or your LP ?
operator>guitar
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.