So, many of you thought you'd see a Fender Blues Jr or something or other. But it's not. Definitely not.

Note the serial number: 9

So here it is, a Bluetron Bluedrive. Talk about an amp!
Features:
Single Channel
35w with a 25w switch (KT-77)
Full 3 tube preamp
Tube rectified
Driver Tube (think Marshall Major)
Bold or spongy feel
Serial Effects Loops (Send and Return controls)
Built in Reverb
Handwired
Selectable 2/4/8 ohm selection
Parallel speaker outs

Controls (from left to right)
Hot or Not Input (just like Fenders, first gain stage)
Deep Switch (changes the feel of the EQ)
BMT tone stack
Drive 1 and 2 (Controls the drive of the 2nd and 3rd gain stage)
Smooth 1 and 2 (Rolls off some of the bass and treble)
Dwell and Reverb (Basic reverb controls)
Soul Control (Controls negative feedback)
Pre and Post Master Volumes

Head is sitting on top of a Ducted Port 1x12 loaded with a Jensen Mod 12-110.

This is the best amp that I have ever played. And I've played a few. The list includes older JCM800s, a vintage Vox AC30, a 66' Super Reverb, and a few Mesa's. I've plugged into both the Hot and Not inputs, and I love the Hot input. It gives a hotter intput into the second gain stage (controlled by Drive 1). Drive 1 can act as a volume knob or a gain knob depending on how you set Drive 2 and Pre and Post Masters. Drive 2 determines the gain in the 3rd gain stage. As you dial up Drive 1 and 2, you'll eventually get both gain stages going into overdrive (it's cascading gain that YOU control!) And then Pre and Post Masters act just like they say. They act as the 4th gain stage.

Wait! Did he just say that?! 4 GAIN STAGES?! Yes! And man does it sing. Want a vintage Marshall? Dial up Drive 1 and 2, dime the Pre, and set the Post to control the volume. Want a Fender? Keep Drive 1 and Pre low, and crank up the Post. Want a Vox? It's in there, too. And the best part is: It doesn't try to be any of these amps. It takes what those amps do, and correct everything wrong with it!

The Soul control takes this amp to another level. A WHOLE other level. It changes the amount of negative feedback the amp has. Think the feel of a British at zero. And American at 10. Once you get bored with the amp, just change the Soul Control.

Another awesome thing about the amp is the Drive 2 control. At lower settings, it's just another way to control volume. At about 6-1/2, it really comes alive. Notes just get more... substance. The whole feel just... changes.

I really wish I had the ability to record the amp, but I don't. I wish you guys could just... FEEL this amp. It's incredible.

As far as the speaker goes, I'm still on the fence. But with only about 10 hours playing it, it still isn't broken in yet. I'll get back to you all about the speaker later.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Last edited by DisplacedLogic at Jul 19, 2011,
looks gorgeous!

how much was it?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
What an amp. That's really amazing. HNAD sir.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
After all was said and done, I shelled out $2900. And just the interactions I've had with Smitty (the owner) has made it worth it. He's an awesome guy. The website (bluesamps.com) has some clips. YouTube has some videos, too.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Sounds like an amazing amp. After looking at their website, they only list a Blueverb amp. Is this a new model? I would guess so by the serial number.
The Blueverb is the basis that became the Bluedrive. Talking to Smitty, the Blueverb is a clean amp (very Fender). The Bluedrive is his take on getting that "tubescreamer into a Super Reverb" sound... Without a Tubescreamer. It's not a metal amp by any stretch of the imagination, but it rocks. I fancy myself a bluesrocker, and this amp is it for me. And I haven't even began to scratch the surface. I'm going to be calling Smitty tomorrow morning to spend some more time talking to him and tweaking. It's got a learning curve. A very steep one. But the awesome thing is, there's never a bad sound. Never.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Schweet
Quote by DisplacedLogic
there's never a bad sound. Never.

that's how great amps are.
Quote by stykerwolf
what does the soul knob do

adds to the soul xD
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by stykerwolf

robben ford chirp

seriously though
that amp looks ace.
Quote by stykerwolf

It was originally meant to be a switch, but they decided a switch that made Miles Davis burst out of a speaker cabinet was too deadly for any mortal man to posses.
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Quote by coolstoryangus
robben ford chirp

seriously though
that amp looks ace.

+1

that looks awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That looks freaking awesome!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by stykerwolf

Yes, it does get the pecker going. And yes, it was supposed to be a switch, but Myles Davis does wreck shop on a mortal man's soul.

Here's the best explanation I can give. In British amps (like the AC30), it has zero negative feedback. That's part of the reason for the "loose" feel that they have. So, with the soul control at 0, it has that loose feel. Not just the sound, but feel. At 10, it tightens up like an American amp.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Isnt negative feedback the same thing as prescence?

Looks awesome. HNAD.

Whats it based on? I guess some kind of fender?

God help your wallet when it comes to changing those valves.
from the website

"On top of all that, the amp is built to old school standards. Just like Leo Fender would have built it, with one twist. The Blueverb uses audiophile-quality, military-surplus, paper-in-oil capacitors and metal-film resistors for astonishingly clear tone and definition even at high levels of overdrive. Please see the Construction page for more details"

you got gutshots of that bad buy?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by hot4teacher
ok so kinda like a class a/ab thing

Not even close. NFB is completely different and independent of operation class.

Quote by beckyjc
Isnt negative feedback the same thing as prescence?

Looks awesome. HNAD.

Whats it based on? I guess some kind of fender?

God help your wallet when it comes to changing those valves.

No, presence controls are typically placed in the NFB loop but a variable feedback control just controls the amount of signal fed back from the OT secondaries. As the feedback decreases, the effectiveness of the presence control does as well until you get zero NFB and the presence control does nothing. That's why Vox amps have the Cut control which works independently of NFB.

Variable feedback is a really cool control though. The CAA PT100 has one and it's one of the reasons the amp is so versatile.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thanks for helping me clarify that, mmolteratx.

And sadly AM, I don't have any gutshots... Yet.

And beckyjc, it's based off of a lot of amps. The Deep switch acts to change the EQ from a Fender response to that of a Marshall. She cleans up just like a Fender. And rocks like a Marshall.

Either way, hands down, the most versatile amp I've ever played. Even more so than my TA-15.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Ya, these have been getting some buzz over on TGP lately. Definitely on my list of amps to try.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Holy cow. That amp looks hot. I've never heard of that particular make before.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I've never even heard of that amp but damn does it look sexy! HNAD!!!
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
All said and done, I don't think Smitty has made 300 total amps to date. I may be wrong, but considering my Bluedrive is #9... Makes you ponder somewhat.

I've seen posts (but they have all been older) on TGP about them. It seems like the only exposure Smitty gets is from people who play his amps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrY9v1HXmiQ

And there is my cousin playing his Bluetron (it's a Prototype model, I believe. The amp that predated the Blueverb, haha) 4x10 with EL34's. It's crazy good sounding.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B