Page 1 of 4
right so if you'd have seen this thread you'd know that i wanted to build a John Mayer Black1 copy stratocater like this

but obviously on a lower budget.
my plan was to get a basic black strat, squier or something, then do it up with gold hardware, new p-ups, new scratch plate and all that stuff.

so... will update this thread as i go, whether anyone cares or not xD

so far... i've got this guitar:

here's all the bits off it too that i put to the side as i took it apart

it had no name on the headstock, it's fairly light, i think it's either basswood or something similar, but what i was after was a clean, undamaged black paint job, a white scratch plate, rosewood neck, and generally not a bad guitar.
picked it up for £29 it was on sale for £50 but he was fairly easy to haggle with...

and about 20 minutes ago i bought gold pickguard screws, a gold jack input, a gold bridge and gold machine heads.

the screws and jack input are fairly standard, the bridge was the gold one of these:

for £26

and the machine heads were these:

in gold for £15.50

all from www.axesrus.com

the pickups i'm going to get are Axesrus "Blues Tubes" in gold

sound clip
and also i'm gonna get a mint pickguard, new white knobs and pickup selector switch tip, and then throw some EB regular slinky's on it.

i'm also thinking of adding the JM logo onto the headstock
(Invalid img)
^^ looks like that but without the keyring xD

how would i go about getting that custom decal cut for me? i really don't have the patience or skill to do it.

anyone else have any ideas of anything i can add too?

hope you guys like the look or appreciate my idea of what it'll hopefully look like when finished xD
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
You might be able to print that on a laminate and then clearcoat over it... There are a few tutorials on projectguitar.com and I think even stewmac might have one too, in regards to custom headstock decals.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
cheers, and not sure if stewmac will ship to or deal in the UK

but will check out projectguitar now
there are many sites on the www. that will make the decal for you. Either vinyl or waterslide decals. Ebay has loads themselves.
Dont think either ships... just tutorials on how to do it yourself... Good luck regardless though, project looks nice.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
emailed a guy at "impakt by design " and he's gonna do me a vinyl decal 50mm by 25mm of the JM logo for £2

bargain xD

anyway back on track, axesrus shipped my parts today so hopefully will get them tomorrow or friday and i'll have more pics on this thread
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Jul 20, 2011,
update on purchases

just purchased the JM decal

also a mint SSS 3-ply scratchplate off ebay for a fiver

it's from hong kong though so will take a couple of weeks to get here, which doesn't bother me as it'll take me that long to save up for the p-ups =[

aaaaaand just also bought new white (far right) knobs and tips and stuff for the volume & tone knobs and the pickup selector switch and the trem arm end for £3.50 from axesrus
did you play the guitar before you took it apart? how did it play?

looks good so far, i like the roller saddles. are you going to change the nut as well? it looks plastic. you could probably fit one of those yngwie malstreem brass nuts on there. those are like 11$ u.s.
Quote by guitar-tin
That's some nice looking strat. I like that gold hardware!

yeh that's one of the reasons i'm doing it, because black with gold hardware looks sexy
also the pickups i'm getting aren't typical strat ones but i can imagine they'll too looks sexy.
edit: also doing it because i dick off john mayer and that just also happens to be his latest signature series strat xD

Quote by 00_hns_00
did you play the guitar before you took it apart? how did it play?

looks good so far, i like the roller saddles. are you going to change the nut as well? it looks plastic. you could probably fit one of those yngwie malstreem brass nuts on there. those are like 11$ u.s.

yeh i played it, it actually played really nice, had a thinner neck than my fender strat but a little thicker than my ibby so it was comfortable. needed the truss rod slightly adjusting because it was bowed a little but i did that the day i got it and then it played fine, then i took it apart.

i'm thinking of changing the nut to a brass one, but i haven't marked that as a "definite yes" right now, but it's a "probably" if you get me? xD
i get you.

they are nice. i have one on an lp. it didn't change the tone so much, it more like brought out frequencies that were deadened with the last nut.

it gave the bottom end some more clarity, but actually made it warmer.... if that makes sense.
yeh thats the sound i kinda want too!

will have a scout round and see where's cheapest xD
purchase update:

fiver from ebay

43mm brass nut with string spacing of 7mm

measured it all out and it fit fine, hopefully should get it this week or early next week.

will photo update when i receive everything.

but for now, it's going surprisingly well... i'm worried xD

edit: photo here is photo from ebay, not one that i've taken.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Jul 20, 2011,
picture heavy update...

got an envelope in the mail this morning, it was as light as anything, felt like nothing was in it, secretly i hoped for a cheque for like a million £ or something, but inside i found this.

the decal i ordered LAST NIGHT has come today!

here's what it looks like up against my headstock

putting it on:

and here's what it looks like on.

i then attended a job interview and went to my mums afterwards as it was close-by

inside the porch i found this addressed to me!

opened it up to find this

another jiffy bag, surely not a game of russian dolls...

open it up to find this

looks like it IS a game of russian dolls, finally unwrap it all to find this.

the bridge, jackplate, machine heads and screws i ordered the other day.

placed the bridge in the body to see how it fits and to line it up

lookin' good no?

then turned to the headstock/machine heads and found that the holes in the headstock were 2mm too thin, and then didn't have a 10mm drill bit so had to go out and invest in one... finally getting back i continued.

took this mid-way through the stage as i forgot... but you see what it was looking like.
and here's what it looks like all done:

well the headstock anyway...

now turning my attention to the body...

fitted the bridge so far

how it looks:

and to prove that i didn't f**k it up, it DOES all line up properly

and here's the jackplate on, but not screwed in as i need to wire it all in when i eventually get the pickups and stuff.

liking the black & gold look already.

i can't wait til it's all done xD

expect moar pictures tomorrow when i get the knobs etc and hopefully the brass nut.

peace out.
you may also notice the machine heads aren't really the one's i ordered. that's because the ones i ordered weren't in stock... so they sent me some better ones with a little screwey pin thing in them that "clamps" the string in the tuning peg. are these locking tuners?? i think so... either way, i'm happy if it means that it'll stay in tune longer with the roller saddles.

edit: "Axesrus Schaller Style Machine Heads - Rear Disc Locking" £23 were the ones i got

http://www.axesrus.com/axemachine.htm#6inline top of the page there

the ones i ordered were "Axesrus Schaller Style Machine Heads - Single Hole Post" for £15.50 about halfway down the above page...

SCORE!
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Jul 21, 2011,
Those would be locking tuners, yup.

Looking great though, black on gold is always nice

edit: hooray for dyslexia. I mean gold on black of course!
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
schweet! not that i'm gonna be mentally abusing the trem though so they're kinda surplus to requirement, but nice to have xD

also, didn't receive any parts in the mail today, so i'm not impresed, waiting on a brass nut which i ordered a couple of days ago, a mint scratchplate which i ordered wednesday too (granted that's coming from hong kong) and a laptop charger... not that that has anything at all to do with this build, but i'm currently on my girlfriends bright pink sony vaio because my HP DV7somethingorother's charger blew up and stopped working, laptops fine, had 2 hrs battery life left but that died last night so that's now a £950 paperweight... the charging ports etc are all fine, my mate lent me his charger to check if it was all ok and that the charging port/motherboard weren't fried... but yeh, gotta wait for that, it'll be here either tomorrow or monday... as i've got stuff for sale on ebay ending in about 8hrs from now and my girlfriend is going on holiday with her parents about 3 hours from now, it's gonna be annoying that i've got no computer til my battery charger arrives... however i do have xbox live so if you have that, add me, jdemo89 is my username, i'll be mainly playing need for speed hot pursuit, skate3, fifa11 and GTA: IV xD

sorry for lack of photos in this post... i'll try harder next time =[

peace.
It looks good, but what's up with that routing?

And here's how a real man does black and gold.

I plan on building this some day...
Attachments:
black gold jem.jpg
Where's Waldo?
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Annoyed I didn't see this sooner!
Good to see a Mayer inspired build.
Can't wait to see it finished. Liking how the headstock decal's turned out.

yeh i'm pretty impressed with the headstock too xD and i too am surprised i have't really seen many people do mayer inspired builds, the guys a wonderful musician.

Quote by chadreed32
It looks good, but what's up with that routing?

And here's how a real man does black and gold.

I plan on building this some day...

it's a HHH routing believe it or not, wasn't me, it was like that when i bought it!

and while that's a nice jem-style guitar in black and gold, it's not my kinda style as i have absolutely NO use whatsoever for a FR trem. but good luck, i do appreciate it's a nice colour.
You should use gold fretwire though, like the Jem. I think it just looks awesome.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Quote by chadreed32
You should use gold fretwire though, like the Jem. I think it just looks awesome.

Gold fretwire would also be an expensive job!

it would look nice, but for the very reason Punk_Ninja said, it'd just be too expensive and i personally don't have the skill (or patience) to re-fret a guitar.

anyway back to today!

went out to the shops earlier, in search of a soldering iron to install the pickups when i eventually get them... had a look in Maplin, Rapid hardware, and a couple of other shops including Argos and Wilkinsons.
eventually bought something from here

Clas Ohlson is where i found this:

Co-Tech soldering iron kit.

open it up to find this:

pretty cool for £14.99 eh?

getting back home i find these waiting for me:

obviously they were unopened, i took the photo just after i'd opened it.

first things first, a new laptop charger i forgot i paid for next day delivery for! so i'm now back up and running *yayyyyyy*

in the other, these:

as i haven't put everything together, the tone and volume knobs and the pickup selector switch are just sitting there at the moment, but i've put the tremolo arm end on

but i think it looks stupid so will probably take it off... then again, i'm probably not even gonna have the trem arm on so i'll see when it's all done.

that's todays photo-update guys.

peace.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Gold fretwire would also be an expensive job!

Its the same price as stainless, 25 bucks.

But I get you on the whole refretting thing. Im going to stop hassling you
Where's Waldo?
lol it's cool, in a few years when i'm more experienced, confident and generally can be assed i'll put some gold fretwire on. but for the moment, i'm just gonna do what i've planned for now xD

also as i sold some stuff on ebay, i invested in a 0.6mm pointy tip for the soldering iron i bought as it only had a flathead screwdriver type end. that cost me £1.35 with £0.45 postage.
right, brass nut has been fitted (rather badly may i add) but it works.

just waiting for the glue to dry then i'm gonna have some food then will pronbably take some pictures.
sorry but today there'll be no updates... haven't done anything since last time and no post comes on a sunday.

so come back next week to find out if i've done anything else xD
I HAZ A PHOTO UPDATE FOR YOU GUYZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!ELEVEN!!!!11!!!!!!

it's nothing special though so you can sit back in your chair now.

seriously, stop sitting on the edge of your chair, take a breather and chill.

went down to check the mail this morning and there was a letter/package waiting for me.

it was...

as i expected...

something i ordered off ebay for £3.95

yes, 5p less than four quid

bear that in mind...

that's less than a take-away meal...

what was it i bought?

care to hazzard a guess???

no...

yes...

maybe...

well here we go, i bought these!

while not the absolute bargain of the century, it's pretty much half price than in most local guitar shops for these strings.

if you want to get your hands on some for that absolutemegabargain price. just do the following:

1. go to ebay.co.uk

2. search for "ERNIE BALL REGULAR SLINKY GUITAR STRINGS 10/46 2221"

3. click "buy it now only" at the top

4. sort by "price + P&P lowest first"

5. click the top link.

this was also a bonus for me as the seller is very local to where i live so i got them today, i ordered them on friday 1t 11:36pm

still awaiting delivery of a pointy soldering iron tip, a mint scratchplate and an FM radio transmitter so i can play my music from my CD player on the portable radio in the bathroom when i have a shower, but you guys didn't need to know that but i told you anyway...

hopefully more updates either later or tomorrow.

peace.
this is looking amazing, but I have to ask, won't the basswood give the completed thing a bit of a crappy tone??
Quote by SMTHSCN
this is looking amazing, but I have to ask, won't the basswood give the completed thing a bit of a crappy tone??

not as much as the strings :p yeh, I know, I'm trolling, but seriously, it's looking good
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
it really is! I've always wanted to do this sort of thing, I was planning on buying a squire strat (not the most basic one, the one above that) and doing a similar sort of thing!
if you do, get the basic one, the affinity but make sure you've played it first, about 90% of them play really nicely, and they have alder bodies instead of agathis.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
yeh i'm quite happy with how it looks...

also if anyone cared, the pickups, pots and selector switch are on ebay starting at 1p and £2.99 potage ending on Saturday about 5:00pm

just go onto ebay and search for "stratocaster pickups pots switch" and it'll be the one with the silver background (which is my fender strat's hard-case)
at the time of posting this, my listing is the only result if you search them keywords.

and in relation to the basswood - i don't think it'll make a massive difference. besides if it did, it'd surely take some of the "bite" out of the tone, which is pretty much what i'm after anyway, a mellow sound rather than a sharp one.
Quote by Dempsey68
yeh i'm quite happy with how it looks...

also if anyone cared, the pickups, pots and selector switch are on ebay starting at 1p and £2.99 potage ending on Saturday about 5:00pm

just go onto ebay and search for "stratocaster pickups pots switch" and it'll be the one with the silver background (which is my fender strat's hard-case)
at the time of posting this, my listing is the only result if you search them keywords.

and in relation to the basswood - i don't think it'll make a massive difference. besides if it did, it'd surely take some of the "bite" out of the tone, which is pretty much what i'm after anyway, a mellow sound rather than a sharp one.

*runs off to bid* lol :p
Ibanez WD7 Wah
please do.

i have absolutely no use for them.
sadly neither do I :p
Ibanez WD7 Wah
bid anyway... you know you want to!
i'm far too nice to you guys

i've got yet another picture update!

so yeh in the mail today came this

this HAS to be a contender for the most ridiculous amount of packaging for the item that's contained within.

which is this.

the soldering iron tip i bought.

just look at the first image, then the second and compare the label sizes and you'll see why i think this is grossly overpackaged.

granted i paid 45p for the postage so it wasn't too bad, but surely you could fit a bloody soldering iron bit in a tiny jiffy bag or just a regular envelope... it's not as if it's a fragile item is it!

/rant

so now i'm just waiting on the mint pickguard.

as i've decided to sell the pickups that were on the guitar originally with the pots and 5-way switch still attached on ebay,
[if you want them, follow these steps]
ust go onto ebay and search for "stratocaster pickups pots switch" and it'll be the one with the silver background (which is my fender strat's hard-case) at the time of posting this, my listing is the only result if you search them keywords.

i'm gonna need to buy new pots and a 5-way switch when i eventually save up for the pickups.

i believe i'm gonna need 1 Alpha pot and 2 Beta pots (whatever that means????)
question: which of these pots would be best?
http://www.axesrus.com/axeElectronicsPots.htm#Alpha

and also which of these 5-way switches would be best?
http://www.axesrus.com/axeElectronicsSwitches.htm

if left to me i'd usually get the one just above basic...

thanks for any help you guys give in advance
peace.
Page 1 of 4