First off, I just got a MacBook pro and a Saffire pro 24, and am using garageband as my DAW. Saffire pro 24 has a MIDI input and output, but I can't bring it up within the mix. I don't know what it's called, or if it can even be part of the mix. I'm not entirely sure how that works, really. Also, when I play guitar via an analogue connection it is really quiet, and if provoked any higher it starts to clip in the mixing thing. I can barely hear it in my headphones, and can't hear it at all out of my monitors, but when I record it and play it with garageband it works fine volume-wise. Thanks for any help in advance
What MIDI device do you have plugged into it? A keyboard? In Garageband, you have to bring up a software instrument track instead of a real instrument track.

Once you have a device plugged in, check your preferences - Audio/MIDI and see if it recognizes anything.
We've got an electric drumset. So it won't register directly through the audio interface, meaning I'm unable to set levels through it?
You do have your headphones and monitors connected to the saffire pro right? The two knobs on the right adjust the monitoring levels for both of them separately. Also, there should be a software mixer/driver that shows up when the saffire is connected. You can adjust levels of the instruments from there. Try to get your guitar's volume, using the software mixer, so that it's about maybe 2/3rds or more on the dB scale. As long as it's not clipping and the dB reading looks good, you should be fine.
The only thing that works is the headphones.. none of the other outputs work. We've hooked a monitor into the headphone jack and it works fine, too. I've ben inside the mix control and set outputs 5 and 6 for example to output what comes from the DAW, just like the headphones, and it won't work. That's another problem, even from the headphone jack I can't get analog one or anything to play, really. Just DAW, and not even that for the other outputs.
Quote by SixFiveOneZero
We've got an electric drumset. So it won't register directly through the audio interface, meaning I'm unable to set levels through it?

MIDI is different. It doesn't require setting levels on the interface. Garageband should recognize that a MIDI device is plugged in and it will work for an instrument track ONLY if you have sounds loaded. Once you select Software Instrument, a list pops up on the right side of the screen. You have to select the sounds you'll be triggering over there. If you're doing drums, select "Drum Kits" and then pick one that looks interesting.
Quote by sandyman323
MIDI is different. It doesn't require setting levels on the interface. Garageband should recognize that a MIDI device is plugged in and it will work for an instrument track ONLY if you have sounds loaded. Once you select Software Instrument, a list pops up on the right side of the screen. You have to select the sounds you'll be triggering over there. If you're doing drums, select "Drum Kits" and then pick one that looks interesting.

Ok, makes sense. Thanks. We were at Guitar Center last week ad the associate told us that we should have two midi cables if we wanted to use the drum module's sounds, so how do we go about setting that up?