Hello,

I am having a lot of trouble recording a solo for one of my songs. I layered an acoustic rhythm portion and solo over it with my electric.

Problem is, when I hear the recording the distortion sounds extremely dry and high pitched.

The distortion loses all its warmth and bass.

Recording setup:

SM 57 ---> M-audio profire 610--->Win 7 with reaper

In bedroom, microphone is usually about 1 to 2 inches away from speaker.

Gear

Schecter C-1 Classic ----> GT 10----> Peavey classic 30

I absolutely love the way it sounds as my ears hear it, however for some reason the microphone only picks up the highs.

Thoughts?
Last edited by chris4355 at Jul 19, 2011,
You can tilt the mic off axis and/or move it a little to the edge of the cone. Dead center on axis is the brightest spot to have the mic. Any movement should mellow it out a bit.

Also try to monitor post tape (post DAW I guess these days...) so you have a better idea of the tone you're recording.

Remember to check the amp with your ear at speaker level. It sounds a lot warmer from above.
just a suggestion, but my girlfriend had to do a music production thing as part of her uni course, and she had the same problem, i played slightly overdriven blues guitar on her piece but it sounded terrible on the computer/mac... we solved this by recording it clean and then adding in the overdrive (and other effects including reverb) in afterwards and it sounded SOOOO much better.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Good suggestions above.

You might back off a little bit for two reasons:

1) frequency response will be much more similar to what you hear
2) you're playing lead over acoustic, which should stand out easily anyway

You see amps miked up close proximity in live situations because it cuts down on feedback and bleed from other instruments. It also brighten up the sound and makes it stand out against loud drums and bass, and it's quicker to set up.

In your situation you can afford to get a warmer, roomier sound.

The fewer instruments you have the more natural and broad-spectrum the sound can be. The more instruments you cram in - like in a metal mix - the more isolated, tightly miked and compressed the sounds will be if you want to hear them all.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."