Page 1 of 2
I've been playing with an LTD EC-256 and a Marshall MG 100HDFX, and my band has been gigging like crazy. I've been trying to convince her that I really need new gear. We're both in charge of the money, and we both ask each other about large purchases. I would really like to upgrade my amp to a Marshall DSL 50, because I'm really digging the warm tones I hear from the guitarist from the other band we gig with. My SS MG just doesn't really cut it, and I know what I have...yuck.

Well, She said...You'll get the guitar you want when you start playing in front of 500+ paid ticket holders. (Ofcourse she had to put PAID there) She knows I would put on a huge free festival!

My ultimate goal is to have Firebird, and the DSL 50. Have any of you had those issues? My wife and I have a joint account for bills, and we have our separate accounts. I normally use my account for gas and smaller transactions. So, we do have our own money.

My final question is, have you guys had any luck convincing your better halves?
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
So let me get this straight, you have separate accounts for your own stuff, but you don't have enough for a guitar. So I take it you either want your wife's money, or your joint account bill money for the guitar? Or to put it on credit, in which case, if you paid for it with your separate account money, there would be no issue.

So which one of those is your plan here?
tell her in no uncertain terms "its my money, so you can go **** yourself." If she made any further objection, I would move that the relationship be terminated.

This is how I operate. but there are two sides to every coin, so it probably wont go over well if you havent taken a laissez faire attitude towards her own private dealings in the past.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by W4RP1G
So let me get this straight, you have separate accounts for your own stuff, but you don't have enough for a guitar. So I take it you either want your wife's money, or your joint account bill money for the guitar? Or to put it on credit, in which case, if you paid for it with your separate account money, there would be no issue.

So which one of those is your plan here?

Well, I plan on getting a small loan, but we have really good communication. Money is such a huge factor in a wedding, and I know how critical it could be if I bought something she doesn't understand why there is a need. She just doesn't understand the guitarists need for continuing to improve the gear/sound.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Start questioning her on how much her clothing costs.

Unless shes sensible and cheap then your fecked.
I just spent $800 on a guitar. I called my fiance and explained to her what I was going to buy, and she said it was my money and I can buy whatever I want. I thought for sure she was gonna give me some crap because I already have like 10 guitars and some other instruments.

I would have still bought it, even if she didn't want me to because I earned that money myself, and it's not like I don't have a plenty more in savings, but I didn't want the whole "you didn't even tell me first" fight to happen.

True story.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Start questioning her on how much her clothing costs.

Unless shes sensible and cheap then your fecked.

She's very down to earth and frugal. She rarely spends any money. It's very hard for me because we've been playing with bands that tour the country, and their sound is amazing. Ofcourse they hear my MG before hand and its an earsore! I mean...I get compliments which is good!
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Quote by W4RP1G
I just spent $800 on a guitar. I called my fiance and explained to her what I was going to buy, and she said it was my money and I can buy whatever I want. I thought for sure she was gonna give me some crap because I already have like 10 guitars and some other instruments.

I would have still bought it, even if she didn't want me to because I earned that money myself, and it's not like I don't have a plenty more in savings, but I didn't want the whole "you didn't even tell me first" fight to happen.

True story.

I know the feeling. I bought my EC-256 without telling her, and it was a horrible idea. I honestly thought it was okay because it's my money, and I've worked for it. The bills were paid, but it wasn't the though that count. I understand that, NOW!

She asked, "Why do you need another guitar? You already have three!" I have a Fender acoustic, Oscar Schmidt OE-30 Semi Hollow Body, and the EC-256. So, I tried to explain to her that each guitar has a sound that I love, and another would help me get another sound. I also tried to explain that the quality is a big improvement. She just doesn't get it.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Quote by randomhero65
Well, I plan on getting a small loan,

theres your problem... dont be stupid. just save your dough for a few months.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by randomhero65
Well, I plan on getting a small loan, but we have really good communication. Money is such a huge factor in a wedding, and I know how critical it could be if I bought something she doesn't understand why there is a need. She just doesn't understand the guitarists need for continuing to improve the gear/sound.

Ok, I understand that. So it's not that you can't afford it, she just doesn't understand it. Dude, I'll tell you right now, you should get a new amp before a new guitar. That's the biggest factor in your tone, and tone is more important than how a guitar looks when it comes to live shows.

I say tell he you need a better guitar, one that you can keep for 30 years, and the LTD is just a cheap Korean guitar, not too far above a starter guitar kit. It may not be entirely true, but there are many people that believe that. And then, take your time finding a guitar you will be very happy with(I know you said Firebird, but give it plenty of consideration), show it to her, have the sales guy talk it up, and maybe she'll better understand.

But the amp is essential. It's just common sense, a better sounding amp means a better performance and a better experience for everyone.
save up some of your own money and let her know that you've saved up some money and you want to buy it. You can do what you want with your money as long as you've taken care of what's important. It's really as simple as that. It's your money, you've saved it, you can spend it.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
i wish you the best luck on your quest to convince her but coming to the forums for advice was one of the worst ideas you could have made.

if you want some better responses try out telecaster forum. cool old dudes on there who wont say, dude just mushroom slap her (keep in mind probably half of those who are giving you advice are old enough to have a beer, and half of those have had a gf)
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by W4RP1G
Ok, I understand that. So it's not that you can't afford it, she just doesn't understand it. Dude, I'll tell you right now, you should get a new amp before a new guitar. That's the biggest factor in your tone, and tone is more important than how a guitar looks when it comes to live shows.

I say tell he you need a better guitar, one that you can keep for 30 years, and the LTD is just a cheap Korean guitar, not too far above a starter guitar kit. It may not be entirely true, but there are many people that believe that. And then, take your time finding a guitar you will be very happy with(I know you said Firebird, but give it plenty of consideration), show it to her, have the sales guy talk it up, and maybe she'll better understand.

But the amp is essential. It's just common sense, a better sounding amp means a better performance and a better experience for everyone.

That's very impressive. I'll do my best with that. I know I wanted the amp first because it's smoother for her to swallow a 500-700 used amp head rather than a 1400+ guitar.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Quote by thejester
i wish you the best luck on your quest to convince her but coming to the forums for advice was one of the worst ideas you could have made.

if you want some better responses try out telecaster forum. cool old dudes on there who wont say, dude just mushroom slap her (keep in mind probably half of those who are giving you advice are old enough to have a beer, and half of those have had a gf)

I understood I would have a few jackals. I really understand how a long term relationship should last. It's about communication, compromise, and empathy. So, I'll look past those posts, and I was hoping for some mature comments. Haha!
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Quote by Soccerguy
Through this thread, I've learned it might be best to marry a musician...

HAHA! The sad thing is she is a really good singer. She's an aspiring country vocalist, but she doesn't really play any instruments. So that hurts me a bit.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Quote by W4RP1G

I say tell he you need a better guitar, one that you can keep for 30 years

Yeah, this honestly works for everything in these situations. Explain that you'd have to replace everything more often with your current set up and say it'd eventually cost more money to do that.

It's my theory when buying shoes.
Layaway?

Or do your own version. Try to work out a deal where you set aside a little bit each month until you have enough. That way it's not a big blow to your money, and also shows how much it means to you to get it.
Quote by randomhero65
I've been playing with an LTD EC-256 and a Marshall MG 100HDFX, and my band has been gigging like crazy. I've been trying to convince her that I really need new gear. We're both in charge of the money, and we both ask each other about large purchases. I would really like to upgrade my amp to a Marshall DSL 50, because I'm really digging the warm tones I hear from the guitarist from the other band we gig with. My SS MG just doesn't really cut it, and I know what I have...yuck.

Well, She said...You'll get the guitar you want when you start playing in front of 500+ paid ticket holders. (Ofcourse she had to put PAID there) She knows I would put on a huge free festival!

My ultimate goal is to have Firebird, and the DSL 50. Have any of you had those issues? My wife and I have a joint account for bills, and we have our separate accounts. I normally use my account for gas and smaller transactions. So, we do have our own money.

My final question is, have you guys had any luck convincing your better halves?

buy her something pretty
she will loosen up
Quote by fenderfreak100
buy her something pretty
she will loosen up
Hmmm, what if I want to tighten them up?
Divorce.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
All hobbies are expensive.

I follow a couple rules when buying something 1) Must be able to justify the purchase. 2) Must be able to pay CASH on the spot for said purchase. 3) Must be high value (getting my money's worth).

You are considering a small loan. That's a no go right there. Unless this is your livelihood, it needs to be a cash purchase.

Have you considered selling your old amp to finance the new one? The less CASH that trades hands the better. Also that might allow you to pay cash instead of needing a small loan.

For the record, I am old enough to have a beer and have been married for 7 years and have a few different hobbies. All require time and money and a certain amount of discretion on how to approach new acquisitions.
Pics of wife?

In all seriousness, I know what you're going through. She doesn't understand your 'need/desire' for a guitar, you already have one, use it, you don't need more! She never will.

As per the other advise, go for the amp first, and keep putting money away for the guitar, it'll eventually come your way.

I think there's a lot of replies here who may change their tunes in years to come....
Quote by Spreadsheet

I think there's a lot of replies here who may change their tunes in years to come....

QFT
My wife hates when I start looking at new gear, which is atlest once a yr. But she knows how much I enjoy playing, and is pretty resonable about "most of my purchaces. Plus I always buy her somthing to smooth it over.

You can also get some less expensive gear if it really is that big of a deal. Jet City makes some great stuff and they are very resonable, the 50 watt head is @$450ish and a good 2x12 or 4x12 can be had used for pretty cheap.

You could always use the my amp is broke and it will cost more to fix it than getting a new one! Excuse
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
could you arrange for your amp to 'go missing' at a show when you've actually sold it and put the money towards an new amp?
Quote by Spreadsheet
Pics of wife?

In all seriousness, I know what you're going through. She doesn't understand your 'need/desire' for a guitar, you already have one, use it, you don't need more! She never will.

As per the other advise, go for the amp first, and keep putting money away for the guitar, it'll eventually come your way.

Here is a picture of my lovely wife and I during our marriage, and a picture of just her! Honestly, thanks for the updates! I appreciate the info, and if you have more please update!
Attachments:
7316_1066405079208_1798477552_135883_2860814_n.jpg
281940_231022606928817_160963047268107_790937_4728538_n.jpg
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Last edited by randomhero65 at Jul 19, 2011,
solution is simple. i need to find a wife who plays guitar. we will ALWAYS know what to get each other, never need to explain purchases, and if we do have impuse buys, we ge to play with the others new toys just the same.

win on all fronts.

downside....eventually my estate goes into debt??????
fap worthy pics

Anyway, save up cash and then buy what you want. if you can find it used even better as you'll save money
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Just tell her:

"Honey, we need to discuss my gear and my need of it. I'm buying new gear. This concludes the discussion."
With your separate money, couldn't you put some away for a new rig? I mean, as long as you're not doing anything to take out of your jointed account, or something like that.

Or maybe you could say, "well if you let me spend x number of dollars on new guitar stuff, you can spend that much on yourself."

I don't know, I'm 16. I have a girlfriend and I spend a good chuck of money on her, but I don't have a job so I'm incredibly cheap.

Fairness, though. If she felt that you couldn't spend that much money on new stuff for yourself, why not bring up the point that she could spend that much on her self if she wanted to?
Quote by randomhero65
Here is a picture of my lovely wife and I during our marriage, and a picture of just her! Honestly, thanks for the updates! I appreciate the info, and if you have more please update!

You are a handsome man.

You're probably right about the amp first. However, I would have done it differently. Start with the "I want to get a new amp." And then, after some argument about the purchase, offer to get rid of your own amp as a concession, even though you had always fully intended to replace it. This honestly worked for me when I bought my last guitar. (Being a poor college kid, I only had $450 to work with).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
this is why I'm only gonna marry a guitar player
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Page 1 of 2