Page 1 of 2
So, I just joined a friends punk band and its a blast. Definitely my favorite Genre. The problem is my only distortion right now is an MXR Distortion III, which is a solid pedal for classic rock, but is too... im not sure how to describe it, its too precise I guess. It makes it hard to really get noise even when its cranked.

I was looking at a big muff, or rat 2. any other recommendations for what to check out in about a 50-100 dollar range? Seems like a fuzz would be more my taste.

Ive read a couple forums of people recommending DS1s and the like.. i really dislike those pedals and don't quite get their popularity other than costing 20 bucks used. but don't want to start a flame war. so... punk pedals? go!

I like heavier punk stuff like Misfits, Bad Religion, Ramones that sorta thing
Last edited by somekid413 at Jul 19, 2011,
i use a fuzz face, that can get pretty wild when it and the amp are both cranked
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
you could go the DIY route and build one.
boss used to make a distortion called the power driver, if you can find one on ebay/craigslist theyr quite nice. i use both a rat and a big muff (which is modded) and love them both. i would stay away from the ds-1 unless you get an older one, or have it keeley modded.

on a side note running a power driver set with low gain into another distortion pedal sounds awesome.
or try the zvex fuzz factory
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Fuzz factory is awesome, One of my friends had one. unfortunately its like 150 used on ebay.
Quote by scimitar_255
It's punk! Just jab som holes in your amp!

This. Just get a cheap distortion pedal with "Metal" in the name and sounds like ass, and voila!

(Not saying punk sucks, I love punk. But those musicians usually don't put too much thought into their rigs.)
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by carlos_almighty
This. Just get a cheap distortion pedal with "Metal" in the name and sounds like ass, and voila!

(Not saying punk sucks, I love punk. But those musicians usually don't put too much thought into their rigs.)

Kinda true, but I guess personally I want something where I am proud of the sound. nothing too fancy, but a tweak-able sound I can work with, no one is going to enjoy my music if it sound like a blown muffler
Quote by carlos_almighty

You would be surprised...
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
Look at the AMT Electronics Legend series pedals. They are realy nice and are guitar preamps, not a distortion pedal. They have models of Mesa,Marshall,Engl,Peavey,ect.. and they sound remarkably good.they run about $135. Look them up on youtube and see for yourself.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by stradivari310
A Rat is probably perfect for a raunchy punk sound.

+1

the rat is very raw and raunchy sounding but not as "trashy" as the DS-1 (assuming it was the overall trashy-ness of the DS-1 that you didn't like?)
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
I guess its kinda hard for me to picture a sound as "trashy" but yea it was very thin sounding. I don't know, I guess not a really pleasant sound to my ears. would a rat have more gain than my mxr III?
Personally I'd go with a Marshall Guv'nor (the old version) if you can find one. I swear they can do everything! I swear by 'em.
Killing you for a smile
Last edited by TigerSteve at Jul 19, 2011,
A big muff is kind of a distortiony fuzz i guess, it can get pretty good for noise use when you turn the sustain up high, especially if you're running the volume up into a loud amp too.

Then if you wanted something really harsh get a fuzz factory or i'd argue you could get the zvex mastotron, i got one of them and you can get some good noisey tones out of that quite easily, same applies for the fuzz factory though.
Welp, little big muff on ebay pretty cheap($40 US) soo I took a gamble, I have not heard a single bad thing about the pedal so I cant wait to give it a proper listen. the worst I've heard people say is "well its a good sound just not my taste"
I think a lot of people hear the word punk and just say "gear doesn't really matter, tear you speakers, crank up the mids and go wild" when really a lot of "punk" usess a sound that has lower mids and is much more bassey - certainly the last few Bad Religion albums have been like that. The sound is more concise and controlled than older punk, to the point it is crossing into metal sounding gear. I have a Guv'nor and don't find it ideal for modern punk, but it is great for Ramonesy type stuff.
Mi audio crunch box . punk rock is about midrangey crunch and that pedal does it very well in emulating a marshall jcm type distortion .

forget about fuzz for punk rock .. you not gonna that than fast crunchy palmuting roff with a fuzz .

any marshall in a box thats decent quality should get you in that territory . stretch a little more than your 50 ( pedal in that price range suck anyway ).. go in 100 $ used price range and grab a Mi audio crunch box . great boutique type pedal that work fine .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jul 20, 2011,
Some of you guys have a strange idea about punk. The Pistols sound is a fully cranked Fender Twin, The Clash is either a cranked Twin or a Music Man, the Ramones were JMP's and JCM800's. Modern Punk is a lot of Mesa Rectos and Marshalls.
So where do you get the idea that any old disgusting metal pedal is punk? Punk is a valve amp cranked until your ears bleed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Some of you guys have a strange idea about punk. The Pistols sound is a fully cranked Fender Twin, The Clash is either a cranked Twin or a Music Man, the Ramones were JMP's and JCM800's. Modern Punk is a lot of Mesa Rectos and Marshalls.
So where do you get the idea that any old disgusting metal pedal is punk? Punk is a valve amp cranked until your ears bleed.

that's a couple of mainstream examples. no, i'm not being a hipster or anything like that, but the chances are those bands had much bigger advances from their record companies than a lot of other bands, which they would've been able to spend on upgrading to decent gear

a lot of punk bands used whatever they could get and just lived with it's limitations and shortcomings. they weren't delibirately trying to sound crap, it was an "if it does the job, it does the job" kind of thing.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 20, 2011,
A Line 6 DM4? :P No, but, try an Ibanez DS7. I have that and it gets some nasty sounds or some more refined ones, I think. I never tried to refine it, though. ;P An octave fuzz could be cool, too.
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
i agree with those who defend punk rock gear as being crap .

if you look at 90 % of punk rock guitarists .. they used high end gear .. i cant think of a single guitarist using a stompboxe as his main distortion .

the punk rock era Fat wreck chord ( nofx , bad religion , no use for a name , lagwagon etc.. ) almost all used Gibson Les Paul in to mesa boogie dual rectifier heads/mesa cabinet .

nofx's eric melvin amp . http://files.myopera.com/spz/albums/561382/NOFX%20%26%20dOMi-5.jpg

pop punk green day , blink , sum 41 etc. use more midrangey crunch so its marshall jcm , dsl , jvm etc.. with stratocaster , telecaster etc.. and some mesa boogie too .

but in the end i cant think of any punk rock bands that use crappy gear .

Fall out boy use Bogner uberschall head into mesa boogie cabinet / orange 2x12 cabinet . that doesnt sound like cheap torn out speaker to me . and the other guitarist use Krank and orange rockerverb . and thats FOB .

so its not cheap gear just because its pop punk , punk rock etc.

get a good amp ... can be almost anything thats decent . peavy , bugera etc.. could do the job.

isnt Johnny Ramones who said that all amp sound the same at high volume ?? the guy must have been playing blisteringly loud . poor guy must be deaf .
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jul 20, 2011,
I have the distortion III and it gives off a very good rise against sound. what amp are you playing it through? honestly I've stopped using a pedal and just been using the amps overdrive
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
Quote by Blompcube
that's a couple of mainstream examples. no, i'm not being a hipster or anything like that, but the chances are those bands had much bigger advances from their record companies than a lot of other bands, which they would've been able to spend on upgrading to decent gear

a lot of punk bands used whatever they could get and just lived with it's limitations and shortcomings. they weren't delibirately trying to sound crap, it was an "if it does the job, it does the job" kind of thing.

A couple of mainstream bands? I listed some of the main proponents of the genre that started it all - from both sides of the pond.
And I'd like you to name a modern punk band that uses crap equipment. For every one you can mention I bet we an find ten that don't. This idea that punks just want to sound crap is a total load of bollocks as I clearly demonstrated.

All poor musicians use what they can afford, that doesn't mean that they don't want something better. Stupid statement is stupid.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the only punk bands i've ever seen use shit gear are locals and thats just because they either don't know any better or it's all they can afford

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
Why do I think that people saying punk should be played on crappy gear don't actually play punk? Just a guess.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah that's what I was thinking lol

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
american hardcore was also mostly marshalls and les pauls
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
Quote by Cathbard

+1

Punk isn't about distortion. It's about volume; distortion is secondary.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
+1

Punk isn't about distortion. It's about volume; distortion is secondary.

Wasn't punk all about just communicating and getting through to people? You read about some of the punkers saying that it didn't matter whether they could or could not play, or whether they sound / look / smell bad... the most important thing was communicating with people connecting to them.

Wasn't there one punk bassist who couldn't play anything other than 3 chords, and out of time at best?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
You're right kitty. It was about the message. However, the way that message was conveyed was to the loud thrashing of a cranked valve amp. The louder, the better because it upset more people.

You're thinking of Sid Vicious. Steve Jones was playing the bass on Bollocks, not Sid. Sid was there for looks and attitude, he couldn't play to save his life.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's hilarious to read your guys' statements, as if punks really don't give a **** what they're playing. I've noticed more (in the many, many DIY shows I've been to) punks knowing more about gear than most of UG does, talking about their gear and shit after almost every show I've seen. I know of a good number of guitarists who use a pedal as their gain. I'd say go for the Rat, or research a few more distortion pedals. I'd try running whatever you're playing through louder as well.

Then again, I've seen Anti-seen run a DS-1 through a fender, so what do I have to say?
Quote by Skysc
isnt Johnny Ramones who said that all amp sound the same at high volume ?? the guy must have been playing blisteringly loud . poor guy must be deaf .

He is not deaf, he is dead.. could he rest in peace!

Have you tryed the Rat2? I think it would be good to the purpose! You can boost it with a Boss SD-1 to get the "noisy effect" that you want.
Last edited by Giabbo at Jul 21, 2011,
I use a pimped out Epiphone Les Paul through a Vox Valvetronix amplifier on the Mesa Rectifier setting.

This is the neck pickup, which is a humbucker-sized P-90 with the volume pot rolled off to 2-3. It's relatively clean but has a nice amount of crunch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnL6qfoWeI&feature=related

For more distorted parts and lead parts I use the bridge pickup on full volume, which is a Bare Knuckle painkiller humbucker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDJ68fOjIp0
Rat would be good, but it was always a bit too bitey for my tastes.
Crunch box would be perfect.
A modded DS-1 would also do it wonderfully. If you can pick one up on the cheap you can get some people to make it a real nice pedal.

Why people rec fuzz pedals for punk is beyond me..
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Rat would be good, but it was always a bit too bitey for my tastes.
Crunch box would be perfect.
A modded DS-1 would also do it wonderfully. If you can pick one up on the cheap you can get some people to make it a real nice pedal.

Why people rec fuzz pedals for punk is beyond me.. :confused:

+ 1

the crunch box is your best bet IMO .

but anyway , pedals will only sound good if you already have a good tube amp /tube power amp . if you dont .. dont bother with distortion pedal . get a new amp and get one with already built in distortion .
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by Skysc
+ 1

the crunch box is your best bet IMO .

but anyway , pedals will only sound good if you already have a good tube amp /tube power amp . if you dont .. dont bother with distortion pedal . get a new amp .

Agreed. I happen to quite like distortion pedals in certain situations, but they only ever sound half good through a good amp. If it is solid state generally forget putting a distortion pedal though it unless you want fizz
Quote by Cathbard
A couple of mainstream bands? I listed some of the main proponents of the genre that started it all - from both sides of the pond.
And I'd like you to name a modern punk band that uses crap equipment. For every one you can mention I bet we an find ten that don't. This idea that punks just want to sound crap is a total load of bollocks as I clearly demonstrated.

All poor musicians use what they can afford, that doesn't mean that they don't want something better. Stupid statement is stupid.

i don't think you could've interpreted what i was trying to say any more incorrectly

though i can see how you got the wrong end of the stick. i'm not saying punk bands are delibirately trying to sound like crap because that is completely and utterly retarded, i'm saying that having the best gear isn't as essential as your post might suggest, just like it's not essential to be a particularly good guitarist in punk - after all, it was a bit of a rebellion against self-indulgent "dinosaur" bands and their showcases of technical skill.

Of course they are going to use good gear if they want to use good gear
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 21, 2011,
But if your a teenage brat who dont respect anything and kick your pedal everywhere and jump on them with both feet than i suggest you a boss pedal cause boutique stuff might not resist the bad abuse . . thats often associate with punk /punk rock culture . being an ass is pretty much require . kinda like snowboarders /skaters who think they own the world and dont respect anything (people and environememnt ) .

thank god ive never been like that after 16 years of snowboarding and punk rock music . i love the music , love the sport .. but the behavior and the message it send to the youth is crap . but so is hip hop
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jul 21, 2011,
Page 1 of 2