Hello, everyone. I was lurking on the music section of Craigslist today, as usual, and came across this. A "mint" condition Valveking 212 with a "wiring problem". So not so mint, I suppose. Anyway, I emailed the guy and he says that when you play it, it has a low crackling noise. For the price, if it's a simple fix (dying valves or something?) then it would be a steal. It does seem marked down way too much though, so I defer to your knowledge, UG. Any idea what the problem could be? I'm going to say it's probably a bad deal, but who knows?
ask him what exactly is the wiring problem. perhaps you have a friend that knows electronics, ask him to solve your problem. i would say 150 for that amp is a great deal.
He says he has no idea what the problem is and that he needs money so he's letting it go cheap. No electrically savvy friends, sadly, so unless it's something an ambitious lay man can fix then I'd have to pay a tech.
How's he even know it's a wiring problem, if he doesn't know what's wrong with it?

TBH, I'd pass... VKs aren't worth much in the first place, and since you have no idea what's wrong with it, the potential risk is too great for the small return you'd get in reselling it. If you're after a VK to keep, I'd just buy one that works, I often see them for ~$250 if you look hard enough.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
1. Valve king... meh.
2. 2x12 combo valve king... even more meh because if you want to sell it'll be difficult.
3. it doesnt work 100%

I'd say no..
Quote by Kahner
He says he has no idea what the problem is and that he needs money so he's letting it go cheap. No electrically savvy friends, sadly, so unless it's something an ambitious lay man can fix then I'd have to pay a tech.

lol so he says he has no idea but he's sure its a wiring problem?

crackling noises can be all sort od stuff, my guess is its nos the valves, it will be most likely a connection issue, your lucky if its the input jack, just switch it, but if its not, you'll have to check the board for bad soldering or any other connection problem.

It can always be the dude's guitar or cable that is the problem and he's being completely dumb, but i would buy it if i had the money( which i assume is your case) whatever the problem is, it will make up for it, he says it costs 650 new, if you get it for 150 qnd spend like 50 for repairing it will still be worth it.

In the end of the day, its your call.
Yeah, I've no idea why he claimed it was a wiring problem. I suppose I might want to pass on this one.
Eh. The guy just emailed saying he'd take $100... something has to be up. He must've used the thing as a terrarium for his pet lizard or something, at that price. This is too tempting...
Are you going to be keeping the amp, or reselling it for a profit when it's fixed?

Because if it's the latter, don't even bother. A VK is going to be extremely hard to sell. If it's the first option, for $100, I mean... unless the transformer is dead, there's not much on that amp that's expensive to replace.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
They're that hard to flip for profit? But I'd almost certainly keep it. I don't currently own a tube amp and I'd probably have to call the fire department if I mention what my current amp is around here.
Quote by Kahner
They're that hard to flip for profit?

Sure, they're lowend tube amps that are known for not sounding that great
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Don't bother. As a Valveking owner you will end up putting more into the amp than it's worth at the end of the day, and if you just want to sell it later on you will find it very hard to do so without taking a hit.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Eh, good points. It's probably not worth the trouble. Thanks for the advice, everyone.