Hey,

I was considering doing this instead of getting a 2x12. Some of the heads I'm looking at only have a 1x16/1x8/1x4ohm outs.

I can't really afford a really good 2x12 atm, but I liked the idea of a 2x12 to mix speakers. I was considering buying a 1x12 now, and then adding a second 1x12 later on. Not just the cost, as I know custom 2x12s are usually only a bit more than custom 1x12s, but it seems more practical.

To me it seems a lot more versatile, can grab one of the 112s when practising and if I feel like making things a bit more punchy or playing around with positioning/second speaker can add in the second. Could get one cab open back and one closed, etc.

I know the volume wont change with a single 112 compared to the 2 1x12s, unless the speakers in each are different sensitivities, but just transporting and stuff is easier.

Is it possible to merge say two 16ohm 112's into a single 8ohm input? Like are there splitters available or the like?

Will this sound similar to a 212?

Thanks!
Last edited by K-P at Jul 19, 2011,
Depends on the sound you're going for. 2 1x12s won't have as much lowend as 1 2x12 will.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yes 2 16 ohm cabs will make an 8 ohm load.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Aye but if an amp only has one 8ohm output, is there a way to link the two 16ohm cabs together?

Tbh cost wise a custom 1x12 is just as much as a 2x12, so I'm not really sure what to do. Just carrying 1x12's seems a lot easier than a 2x12.
Quote by beckyjc
Usually cabs have a jack so you can add another cab in paralell straigh into the cab.

My orange PPC112 does.

How easy is it to change the speakers in the PPC112? I think linking cabs seems the way forward.
I took the speaker out once, i cant remember why, it was pretty straightforward though, take out a few screw, job done. Theyre a little tight at first though.
why not get like 4 1x12s then itd be like um nvm
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
My friend got the new Blackstar Ht-5R stack with the 2 new 12 inch "blackbird" speaker cabs or whatever. It's a huge improvement over the old HT-5 speakers but anyway, he spaces them out across the room from each other, angled toward the center. Sounds pretty awesome.

Needlessly to say, you can't do that with a 212.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
I'm liking the PPC112. May get one for now, but thing is 1 PPC112 is the same price as a HB212. But 112s just seem so much more versatile and practical. Like spreading them across the room, that sounds amazing.

I'd probably change the speaker from a V30 to a H30 or Greenback, so it seems a bit pointless.
Quote by K-P
I'm liking the PPC112. May get one for now, but thing is 1 PPC112 is the same price as a HB212.

Yeah, but one PPC112 is about half the price of one PPC212. If you compare the same brand of cabs then it's not a bad deal. Ok the Harley Benton is a lot cheaper, but it's nowhere near the same quality as the orange in terms of construction.

In my experience, 2 112s sounds pretty nice and gives you a lot of options for practice/gigs. But as mentioned it's not the same as a 212, and it might be tricky to try out 2 112s together.
Quote by ProgFolk12
Yeah, but one PPC112 is about half the price of one PPC212. If you compare the same brand of cabs then it's not a bad deal. Ok the Harley Benton is a lot cheaper, but it's nowhere near the same quality as the orange in terms of construction.

In my experience, 2 112s sounds pretty nice and gives you a lot of options for practice/gigs. But as mentioned it's not the same as a 212, and it might be tricky to try out 2 112s together.

True. I'm leaning towards two 112's. I kind of like the idea of in-your-face-bass but I'm sure two 112's all be good, especially as I can play around with open back, closed back, ported, etc. Can always add a 2x12 later I guess.

Thing is, it's not as cost-effective as I thought it'd be. I heard not all PPC112's are made equal? I know some have different speakers, but I've heard there's some differences in cabs?
Dont be dumb, get a PPC212 and if you really want another cab in the future get a little 112 for trying things out.

Get single better sounding cab over the two mediocre ones for the same price.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Dont be dumb, get a PPC212 and if you really want another cab in the future get a little 112 for trying things out.

Get single better sounding cab over the two mediocre ones for the same price.

I'd do it the other way around tbh. Little 112 now, either CB PPC212 or custom 212 later. I'm not gigging atm, and a 212'll likely be a big cumbersome for uni room.

I see your point though. I've gone off the PPC112's after learning the china ones are nowhere near as quality as they're made out to be.
Quote by K-P
I'd do it the other way around tbh. Little 112 now, either CB PPC212 or custom 212 later. I'm not gigging atm, and a 212'll likely be a big cumbersome for uni room.

I see your point though. I've gone off the PPC112's after learning the china ones are nowhere near as quality as they're made out to be.
Actually they're hit and miss. I've played on some PPC112s that sounded great and some that sounded bad. At first I thought that the speaker wasn't broken in. Boy was I wrong.

Even though they're listed as having V30s, they are shipped with other budget Celestion speakers a lot of the time. Can't remember the specific speaker model but yeah, this one sounded pretty "meh." Worst part is, it was new from the manufacturer so it's not like someone had just switched the speaker out.

You're safer just getting a ppc 212. Even the open back model.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Hm. Are the Marshall 1912's any good? Or any 112s that come with G12H30s or Greenbacks? Or 212s.

I just don't think my skills are at the level yet that justifies a really nice cab, heh. But I'd like something decent.
My ppc112 is spot on quality wise, and it did indeed come with a V30.

Mind you, i did buy it used, its kinda a old one, the speakers well broken in.