Okay, so this won't be too long despite the long title. So, one of my friends referred me to this website called Eurotubes. And one of the things the website mentioned was that Combo amps are "torture chambers for tubes". I've never heard of people saying this about combo amps . I recently acquired a Mark IV combo from a friend of mine and so I'm not sure how I feel about this.

http://www.eurotubes.com/

There are these things he is selling called Dampeners so that the tubes don't begin to rattle or stop rattling if they have around started to. Have any of you experienced tube rattle?

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-damper.htm

Anyway, about cabinets, are they generally the way to go even if I have a combo? What are the pros (cons?) of a cabinet vs a combo speaker amp? And lastly, what cabinet would go good with a Mark IV?

Thanks.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Personally im not sure whether your problem is as bad as you're making out. I don't think that buying a cab would help either because tube rattle seems to occur by the whole combo amp vibrating at a certain frequency. I'm not sure, i may be speaking complete and utter crap, i've only just read the article and have made assumptions.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Oosh.
Personally im not sure whether your problem is as bad as you're making out. I don't think that buying a cab would help either because tube rattle seems to occur by the whole combo amp vibrating at a certain frequency. I'm not sure, i may be speaking complete and utter crap, i've only just read the article and have made assumptions.

As far as I know, hooking up a cab would prevent tube rattle 100% because the sound will go out of the speaker cabinet in the connected cab and not the combo speaker. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

The only problem, well not really a problem, is that the cabinet will mean more money that I have to spend to buy a good one. The tube dampeners will save me money but I've been reading a lot about tube amps lately and people always swear by good cabinets haha. So, I've been wondering about cabinets myself lately and how necessary one would be for me.

The good thing about having a cabinet would be options, being useful for future bands/gigs, and variety. Cons would be more money, extraneous, and that's all I can think of.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Last edited by BlueAltitudes at Jul 19, 2011,
Bob really doesn't know what he's talking about on a lot of stuff, so I would take his advice with a grain of salt.

Tube rattle is due to the design of the combo amp, with the tubes hanging down, instead of up. It really has nothing to do with whether you use an extension cab or not (at least, if you're still placing the combo on top of it), it's the vibrations from the speakers that make it "rattle."
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
People have been playing tube combos for decades without serious issues. Tube rattle happens sometimes, or it can happen never. Play the amp and find out. As for combos being "torture chambers", that's a bit excessive. Just make sure that the back of the combo can receive adequate airflow to help the tubes cool, or if you are that paranoid, keep a fan blowing on the open back of the cab.

You seem like a smart person, but don't forget, Eurotubes is a business. They sell things, and one of those things appears to be dampeners. Marketing on the fear of tube fragility is what I see here. Though they may be made of glass, tubes are quite hardy.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Hmm, okay thanks for the advice guys. Now that tube rattle is somewhat out of the way. What about the possibility of using a speaker cabinet for the combo? It's generally better to use a good cabinet over the combo speaker right? So, I really don't know too much about cabinets and I could use some recommendations about an extension cab for the combo.

I know that a 2X12 should be sufficient, possibly a matching Mesa Cab, an Orange, Vader, and some others. What about Emperor cabs? Also, I like music that is more geared toward heavier sounds but I'm not strictly a metalhead. I would want something that would be able to go into heavier territories but is also fairly versatile. I don't know if buying a cab is like buying an amp haha so I hope I'm not being dumb.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Emperor cabs are great.

The guy from Eurotubes likes to spout shit a lot so he can increase sales. This is particularly evident in the 'tube reviews' section where he basically calls every tube brand terrible, except JJs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Emperor cabs are great.

The guy from Eurotubes likes to spout shit a lot so he can increase sales. This is particularly evident in the 'tube reviews' section where he basically calls every tube brand terrible, except JJs.

I only really know names of cabs haha and Emperor cabs sounds awesome so it caught my interest. But seriously, if anybody has some other advice on cabs I would really appreciate it .

Huh, well I noticed he took a liking to JJs but I had not read the part of the website where he shits all over other tubes. I guess I'll have to rethink having business with him. The other two tube sites I have looked at are the Tube Depot and the Tube Store. I kind of like the Tube Store the most out of the ones I've looked at for tubes in the future.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
I've never had any problems with tube rattle with my Mark IV.

As for speaker cabs, with the Mark IV you'll be fine. The amp is exactly the same as the head version, apart from the cabinet, the speaker is connected just like an external cab would be.

You can disconnect the combo speaker, its only connected with a 1/4" jack, so you can run it with any combination of cabs you would run the head version with.
If you are in the need of JJ tubes, Bob sells them at a reasonable price and shipping is excellent. Who gives a crap what other things he tells you.
You can probably expect tubes in a combo to have a shorter life span compared to a head due to rattle.

However, the impact will probably be so minute in the grand scheme of things and the life span of tubes, that it'd be negligible. You're probably talking of days off the life span of tubes.

The impact of tube rattle is probably no greater than you shifting your amp from gig to gig.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.