k so i have an ibanez gio laying around that doesnt get played anymore because its input jack has a broken wire.

so im thinking of eventually fixing but modding the guitar to hell because its nice light and acutally plays well. its a strat knokoff too.

here what im thinking:

loking tuners
new nut
new HSH pickups (probably EMGs)
new wiring
new bridge/trem (preferably a floyd rose.)

the guitar already has a trem routing for a 6 screwhole vintage styked trem. i know theres gonna be routing but is it feesible?
It's feasible. But it's a lot of work and money for a guitar that, at it's core, still isn't very good.
I'd say that it is absolutely worth learning how to do that kind of work on this guitar I'd just be cautious about throwing money into it.
For the price of the mods, you probably could get a whole new guitar. i dont know which country you live in but:

locking tuners - around £20-£30
new nut and floyd rose trem - a real one £150
new HSH pickups (probably EMGs) - probably around £200
new wiring - probably £30

if youre not able to do the work yourself - around £80 for a luthier

Total = £480 - £490

you could buy an ibanez RG270 (i think) and put EMGs in it for that.

Rock on!!!
Well, I wouldn't say you ever need to spend that much. If you're willing to sacrifice a few details. For a start, get a licensed floyd rose, they might not be as good, but find a decent quality one, can cost you £40.
Try and buy second hand pickups, you wont find many with problems, and save between £30 and £100 depending on how lucky you are.
New wiring doesn't need to be expensive, use your current wiring and buy less extras, just simple ones, and you can spend maybe £10.
Locking tuners would probably be around £30, although you could just use a locking nut.

That comes to between £180-£250. A bit pricey, but if you want to mod this guitar with those specifications, it wont be cheap.

Just do all the work yourself. It might take some internet investigation and care, but it's very possible, and the satisfaction of doing the work yourself is enough to make the guitar feel great.
Great project. Do it in steps, cheapest stuff first. By the time you're ready to do the expensive pickups you will have either decided its not worth that much or fallen in love and money is not relevant.
well Im right now im saving for something slong the lines of gibson LPC or a prs custom 24.

and after that guitar im not concered with getting new guitrs and all so price isnt gonna both mer too much. I pretty much want to make all my guitars gig worthy and different

the only iffy thing for me is the floyd rose. Ive done EMGs before, i can figure out locking tuners, just havent done a new nut or adding a trem before.

and would it be better/easier to make the floyd floating or not?
A friend of mine had a guitar just like that, don't even bother trying to put a Floyd rose in it, would destroy your budget.

I'd go with the EMG SRO series pickups(NOT the HZ series), instead of actives, a bit cheaper, but still gets you that heavy punchy tone that people love with high output pickups, and you wouldn't have to rewire everything.

Replace the nut with something like a graphtech or Ervana nut.

New locking tuners, and new bridge saddles, not a new bridge, just saddles.

Do that and you'll have a half way decent guitar for under $400.
Quote by ethan_hanus
A friend of mine had a guitar just like that, don't even bother trying to put a Floyd rose in it, would destroy your budget.

I'd go with the EMG SRO series pickups(NOT the HZ series), instead of actives, a bit cheaper, but still gets you that heavy punchy tone that people love with high output pickups, and you wouldn't have to rewire everything.

why would i not go with active EMGs if i like them and can afford them?

and in what sense would it destroy the budget? just the parts?
Quote by Seanthesheep
why would i not go with active EMGs if i like them and can afford them?

and in what sense would it destroy the budget? just the parts?

Well, considering you'd have to gut all the electronics, put in a new jack, pots, switch, add a battery or two, and spend about $300 in all for the pickups and electronics. To me it's not worth it.

With the SRO's, you'd get the sound of high output pickup, yet the versatility of passives, without replacing all the electronics, and prolly save yourself about $100-$150.

To put a floyd in a guitar that has a standard trem, or a hardtail, would prolly run you well over $500, just in body work and fitting, not the actual cost of the trem.

If it's not designed for a floyd, chances are, it's not worth trying to put one in it.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jul 20, 2011,
well heres my logic:

it has the routing for springs in the back so thats done.
it has the rputing for the trem block whih is done.
all that i can think that needs to be done to add a floyd is add the posts, and adjust all the cavities to accomadate the floyd. something i prolly could do myself and not have to take it to a tech for.
the pnly hard part i think would be adding the locking nut, but again, something i can most likely do my self

and yea youre prolly right about the pickups though.
EMGs = all wiring included except switch.
so id need a new switch
and then id need a new pickguard.

new plan:
add a floyd 250$
get a cheap pair of Seymour duncans (prolly SH-4 and Jazz. will cost 130$)
do wiring for HH 20$?
get a new pickguard 30-50$
new switch 10$
Quote by Seanthesheep
well heres my logic:

it has the routing for springs in the back so thats done.
it has the rputing for the trem block whih is done.
all that i can think that needs to be done to add a floyd is add the posts, and adjust all the cavities to accomadate the floyd. something i prolly could do myself and not have to take it to a tech for.
the pnly hard part i think would be adding the locking nut, but again, something i can most likely do my self

and yea youre prolly right about the pickups though.
EMGs = all wiring included except switch.
so id need a new switch
and then id need a new pickguard.

new plan:
add a floyd 250$
get a cheap pair of Seymour duncans (prolly SH-4 and Jazz. will cost 130$)
do wiring for HH 20$?
get a new pickguard 30-50$
new switch 10$

A Floyd dives inside the body, so you would have to cut out a good section of the guitar to fit it, that's what costs so much, plus, it doesn't just drop into the same posts as your standard trem does, it's a bit wider, and requires completely custom mounting.

If you compare a guitar with a Floyd and a standard trem, you'll see what I'm talking about, there's alot more involved than just mounting.

If I were you, I would skip the Floyd, and if you really want to drop in a new trem, drop in a Wilkinson trem, it's a standard trem, but it's almost as good as a Floyd, and would be way easier to swap out.

If you have a good trem, nut, and locking tuners, your guitar will hold it's tuning just as good as a guitar with a Floyd.

Pickups are completely up to you, I'm just said what I'd do if I wanted EMG's again.

If you want to try and fit the Floyd yourself, by all means go ahead, I just don't think it'll work as well as you want it to, and to have a tech do it would be expensive.