im lookin for a versatile bass for around 300$ or less. i play pretty much everything from green day to red hot chilie peppers to the beatles and bob marley. im torn between the squire p bass or the epiphone les paul special bass. im also open to any other sugestions.
not the lp. that is not a versatile bass by any means. a pbass or a jazz bass would be your best bet in that price range. squire ccv or vm is where its at for the 300 dollar range.

greenday used a precision. chillipeppers and bob marley used jazz basses. and beatles have used a variety of things.

or what he said if you are willing ot go used.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I'd go for the Squire VM Jazz, if I were in your shoes. My friend, who is predominantly a guitarist, bought one and they're fantastic for the price. They bat way above Squire's average.
+1 on the VM jazz.

Though, TBH, i'd spend a bit extra on a CV Jazz. In my experience, the CV Squires are significantly nicer than the VM Squires.

Or... look for a used G&L Tribute L2000. While i HAVE seen them for as low as $300... the usually hover in the $400 range. But... the L2k is pretty much the definition of versatility.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I forgot about the squiers cause I'm such a craigslister, but I agree with the choice.
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass.

If you can go up $50, then the Classic Vibe Jazz Bass.
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater