Page 1 of 3
What do you consider a great (guitar) tone? Why do you like it? Do people who listen to your playing think it's great, ok or bad?
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
The sound you get when driving a pitchfork into a dead baby....Ahhhhhhh...
People may like my playing, that doesn't mean my tone is good or bad.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

I wish I could make my guitar sound like a fog machine
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
Quote by ethan_hanus
Marshall MG on the Br00tLz setting with a Squier Bullet strat with a Boss Metal Zone. Now that's a good tone.

I think you mean the Digitech Death Metal for more br00tal stuff.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
This is the first time I've spoken about guitar on Ultimate Guitar in about a year...

Mark Knopfler. Or anything out of a Cornford or Trainwreck.
it means not sounding bad. you also gotta have mids and bass, none of that djent stuff.

Quote by Steve635z
The sound you get when driving a pitchfork into a dead baby....Ahhhhhhh...

damn it, this could have been a great thread, but you ****ed it up on the first post.

i'm so proud of you, if i was your grandpa i'd give you a 20.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jul 19, 2011,
Quote by due 07

I raise you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nr5DyVLiW0

edit: also, anything that sounds badass and fits the song in a unique way. Basically, none of those bland classic rock tones that people here go on about all the time.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jul 19, 2011,
I like a dynamic tone. One that has more than one "level" to it... sort of like a depth to it, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a thick sounding tone. I hate tones that have sortof like a wall of sound type sound.

This is harder to explain than I thought.

EDIT:
Quote by laid-to-waste

Slightly off topic, but I really wish he'd stop ****ing singing. I LOVE his tone and playing, but ABSOLUTELY DETEST his voice.
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Last edited by mullet1337 at Jul 19, 2011,
Quote by mullet1337
I like a dynamic tone. One that has more than one "level" to it... sort of like a depth to it, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a thick sounding tone. I hate tones that have sortof like a wall of sound type sound.

EDIT:

Slightly off topic, but I really wish he'd stop ****ing singing. I LOVE his tone and playing, but ABSOLUTELY DETEST his voice.

john mayer is the only person i've ever come across that has the most consistent 'you love it or hate it' voice. whoever has an opinion about john's voice, it's usually really passionately on either side.

EDIT: actually, most people i listen to have that quality...
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Jul 19, 2011,
Quote by laid-to-waste
john mayer is the only person i've ever come across that has the most consistent 'you love it or hate it' voice. whoever has an opinion about john's voice, it's usually really passionately on either side.

Part of why I hate his singing are the gooey lyrics and the desperate sounding 'flirty' tone of his voice. I bet if I had a vagina I would love his vocals, but as a guy I want the prick to shut up and play his damn guitar, because he's an incredible guitarist and his singing really ruins that aspect for me making me not able to listen to him at all.
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Last edited by mullet1337 at Jul 19, 2011,
Digitech RP12 distortion into Ts-9 (maxed) into a Line 6 on INSANE ALLLLL KNOBS TO TENNNNNNNNNNN
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by mullet1337

"Wall of sound" is typically attributed to music that has depth and layers
Balls.
Last edited by rmr024 at Jul 19, 2011,
Quote by bastards
Digitech RP12 distortion into Ts-9 (maxed) into a Line 6 on INSANE ALLLLL KNOBS TO TENNNNNNNNNNN

i don't know, the crushing overdrive of a Marshall MG might be better.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Big thick bassy creamy reverby gainy goodness

Or something more trebley if I have it on clean, slap on some delay, daddy likes that.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Fat, crunchy and gainy with tight highs that still sound like butter.

Kinda like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9r9MvOk1Ek

But not exactly.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by mullet1337
Part of why I hate his singing are the gooey lyrics and the desperate sounding 'flirty' tone of his voice. I bet if I had a vagina I would love his vocals, but as a guy I want the prick to shut up and play his damn guitar, because he's an incredible guitarist and his singing really ruins that aspect for me making me not able to listen to him at all.

really, you hear that in all his stuff? i hear it in your body is a wonderland, slow dancing in a burning room, but i don't hear it in the song i linked one bit :/

also, it doesn't bother me, really.
Quote by laid-to-waste
really, you hear that in all his stuff? i hear it in your body is a wonderland, slow dancing in a burning room, but i don't hear it in the song i linked one bit :/

also, it doesn't bother me, really.

How can this guy claim to be a blues player ._.
Most things recorded with a SLO.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
B.C. Rich Bronze Warlock > Boss DS-1 > Line 6 Spider on insane. Gain 11, Bass 11, Mids 0, Treble 5.
I pride myself on my humility.
Stevie Ray Vaughn
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Quote by Zoot Allures
How can this guy claim to be a blues player ._.

he plays a lot of blues
I came here to say either crushing overdrive or fog machine. Both have been said.
hello
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-X86oJVe9U

Somehow perfectly rides the line between smooth and screaming tone.

EDIT: Mr. Haynes that is.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Last edited by Dwight.Schrute at Jul 19, 2011,
Page 1 of 3