Page 1 of 2
I need a versatile great sounding boutique tube amp (Mesa, Soldano, Bogner, etc...). I play rock, blues, latin, punk, metal... I't doesn't matter if it is a combo or a head... British sound is preferable. I need it for both, giging and recording and it has to be pedal friendly. 2 channels are enough for me.

Any thoughts?
2nd hand Mesa MK IV/V ?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Perverockstar69
I need a versatile great sounding boutique tube amp (Mesa, Soldano, Bogner, etc...). I play rock, blues, latin, punk, metal... I't doesn't matter if it is a combo or a head... British sound is preferable. I need it for both, giging and recording and it has to be pedal friendly. 2 channels are enough for me.

Any thoughts?

I was thinking getting a Mesa TA-30 or a Royal Atlantic, but there should be more options...
Carvin V3 or X100b.

Also the Peavey JSX/Triple X II are pretty awesome too.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
Carvin V3 or X100b.

Sweet, I like Carvin. Thx!

What about Dr. Z Amps?
Mesa Road King is probably your best bet for 'all-round'. I'm not 100% on US Mesa prices, I haven't been to GG&A in a long time

For a more British sound, hmm. I would say Cornford but American prices are super high I think.
Last edited by vitchb at Jul 19, 2011,
Quote by vitchb
Mesa Road King is probably your best bet for 'all-round'. I'm not 100% on US Mesa prices, I haven't been to GG&A in a long time

That beautiful monster is so @#$% expensive...
Quote by Perverockstar69
That beautiful monster is so @#$% expensive...

time to hit the classifieds
Quote by Perverockstar69

ok, i geuss the 30 watt version would be a little better

LOL
Quote by ampoverload

ok, i geuss the 30 watt version would be a little better

LOL

Oh, you are so funny...
Jet City is a Soldano clone that's overseen by Mike himself, go check em out.

But yeah, the Mark series is the best you can get, like Tom said.

Axe FX maybe?

There's no way in hell, but if you can find a Diezel for that price, jump on it.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by Perverockstar69
Still, I don't have enough money for that

Could you swing a Stiletto? I'm not sure how well rounded it is, but it is one of the more British sounding Mesa's
Quote by vitchb
Could you swing a Stiletto? I'm not sure how well rounded it is, but it is one of the more British sounding Mesa's

I think the Transatlantic, Royal Atlantic and ElectraDyne sound a lot better than Stiletto's xD. Anyway, I prefer tone over if it's american or british sound...
Quote by NosralTserrof
Jet City is a Soldano clone that's overseen by Mike himself, go check em out.

But yeah, the Mark series is the best you can get, like Tom said.

Axe FX maybe?

There's no way in hell, but if you can find a Diezel for that price, jump on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Diezel-Einstein-Amp-Head-50-watts-TONE-/370527290418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564525c432 <------- Would this one make it? xD
+1 to the Mark V.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
used road king
i say this because i've got gas and if theres good deals when i get my big student loan...

oh shit
NOOOOOO

Diezels are rare as shit in america, and he's getting a great deal for that amp.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Someone mentioned this above and I completely forgot about this until I read it.

Axe FX.

Get the Axe FX (or Axe FX2) and a decent power amp, preferably a tube power amp and you are good to go. You can get pretty much any tone you can think of with one of those.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
OP, i'm telling you. Go try out a Mesa Dual Rectifier. You will not be dissapointed. If you can get a used one for around $1200 and a Marshall 1960B or Mesa Straight Rectifier 412 cab. Keep in mind the Mesa's are over 100lbs to carry, Marshall's around 70lbs.
Quote by Perverockstar69
I was thinking getting a Mesa TA-30 or a Royal Atlantic, but there should be more options...

+1 I actually was thinking of the Royal Atlantic as well for the Brit sound.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I'm considering getting a combo (TA-30 or an Electrodyne), and I'm looking for the chance to get a little bit more money for the Royal Atlantic, what do you think? I can use a pedal if I need more gain... I don't know, the thing is that where I live is sooooooo difficult to get this much money and this is gonna be my first real Pro amp, I Have a Laney LC15R (Ok sounding amp) and used to have a Peavey Valveking (a bargain for those features).
Quote by Perverockstar69
Wow, Mark amps have a lot of @#%& :S, I forgot to say that I want simple controls xD

DIEZEL. Like the one that I linked to you.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Not a huge fan of the Einstein, would rather have a Road King. I actually traded a Road King for an Einstein and ended up having to trade back cause the guy was a dick. Glad I did though, the RK sounded better IMO

You might like the Diezel a bit better than me though, since you're playing a lot more lower gain stuff. It's a pretty versatile amp, though I don't think it's as versatile as a Road King (especially since the modes aren't footswitchable), but it'll definitely give you a different sound than anyone else.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 25, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not a huge fan of the Einstein, would rather have a Road King. I actually traded a Road King for an Einstein and ended up having to trade back cause the guy was a dick. Glad I did though, the RK sounded better IMO

You might like the Diezel a bit better than me though, since you're playing a lot more lower gain stuff. It's a pretty versatile amp, though I don't think it's as versatile as a Road King (especially since the modes aren't footswitchable), but it'll definitely give you a different sound than anyone else.

He also was....imbalanced.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
He also was....imbalanced.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

On topic, look for a used Mesa F series. Great, versitile amp. 2 channels, but essentially 3, and it isn't knob crazy.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Mesa Mark V or used Roadking series 1, maybe a used AxeFx standard??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
I picked up a Mesa Road King Series 1 for under $1400 last week. You could also find a Rectifier cab for $600 if you look long enough. The amount of tones you can get out of that amp is incredible. If I had to spend anything more than what I paid for the RK, I'd have to go the Axe Fx route though.
Quote by stonyman65
Carvin V3 or X100b.

Quote by Perverockstar69
Sweet, I like Carvin. Thx!

What about Dr. Z Amps?

+1 for the V3!
Also check out Genz Benz El Diablo
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Laney VH100R would be good option too, especially if you want a Brit type sound.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification