Hey guys!

Just wondering if you guys have any ideas for a guitar that will specialize in 80's hair metal and Guns 'N' Roses soloing sort of thing, real smooth soloing tone and metal rhythm sound like W.A.S.P and Metallica with pretty high distortion, but also be good for beautiful clean sounds for blues and maybe a bit of jazz? My budget is around £500-600 ($800-$900) and my amp is a Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 which can do any sound, ever. Maybe a semi-hollowbody, i'm just not sure on which model. Any suggestions will be grand though. Cheers in advance dudes!
rg1570 then buy some new pups

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
the ec-1000 with duncans
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
either an original kramer, a charvel or my bc rich
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by swilcox26
HSS strat?

...Hair metal, gnr and tallica with high distortion.....no. That's pushing even a Strat. And I have 2 of em.

I would push you toward a PRS SE custom 22or 24. It will certainly serve your purposes stock and you would have enough money to drop on a set of pups if you wanted. They're a dream to play and are extraordinarily versatile as well. I thought about getting one to back up my other PRS.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
^PRS Custom 24 for definite, they are spectacular guitars for the money and by far the most versatile in your price range!
Fender MIM 60th Anniversary Strat
Freshman Apollo Electro-acoustic
Line 6 POD HD500
Marshall MG15CD
Quote by Artemis Entreri
...Hair metal, gnr and tallica with high distortion.....no. That's pushing even a Strat. And I have 2 of em.

I would push you toward a PRS SE custom 22or 24. It will certainly serve your purposes stock and you would have enough money to drop on a set of pups if you wanted. They're a dream to play and are extraordinarily versatile as well. I thought about getting one to back up my other PRS.

hss strat can do those fine, with the right pups ofcourse
No its not.

Not by a long shot.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'd say a PRS SE Custom or Ibanez RG
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
What the hell is happening here?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by coolstoryangus
hss strat can do those fine, with the right pups ofcourse

But if you're going to play exclusively metal and high gain, why cripple yourself? I love a good strat as much as anyone but if I was going to play only high gain metal I would either look elsewhere or customize it to the point where it would have been better to buy an Ibanez in the first place.

And Tom, you can knock the PRS all you want, it's your opinion and I generally respect it. But the PRS is one hell of a guitar for the price, entirely stock.

I'd go into your local (ughhh) Guitar Center or Sam Ash and plug a custom 24 (the SE model) into some high gain amp and see what you think. Additionally I'd look into some Ibanez models though, they fit your bill as well.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I had one

Its very very good guitar, but I wouldnt recommend it for what he wants to play is all ad to that the fact the price of them has increased a lot, makes it a rather odd rec for br00tz to cleanz.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Artemis Entreri
But if you're going to play exclusively metal and high gain, why cripple yourself? I love a good strat as much as anyone but if I was going to play only high gain metal I would either look elsewhere or customize it to the point where it would have been better to buy an Ibanez in the first place.

And Tom, you can knock the PRS all you want, it's your opinion and I generally respect it. But the PRS is one hell of a guitar for the price, entirely stock.

I'd go into your local (ughhh) Guitar Center or Sam Ash and plug a custom 24 (the SE model) into some high gain amp and see what you think. Additionally I'd look into some Ibanez models though, they fit your bill as well.

Don't see why using a strat with the right pups would cripple you anymore then a prs..
jackson pro series, used charvel. those things are great for all the genres you listed.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by coolstoryangus
Don't see why using a strat with the right pups would cripple you anymore then a prs..

At that point you're talking more along the lines of an HSH or an HH rather than a HSS. You would at least have to upgrade to stacked singles or at the very least some form of noiseless singles. At the price of an MIM HSS Strat with the pickup change you would have been better off going Ibanez. If it was primarily cleans for blues and jazz with a liking for metal, I think it'd be a great recommendation however, primarily metal.

And to be fair to Tom, as much as I like the PRS (and dislike most Ibanez) it may not be the BEST choice for this but I highly recommend you go and play one. They're such sweet guitars that I'd rather have one than the "better" alternative of an Ibanez or a Jackson.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jul 19, 2011,
He did state hair metal. Most hair metal was played on guitars that where basically strats with pointy headstock, floyd and a humbucker in the bridge.
Quote by coolstoryangus
He did state hair metal. Most hair metal was played on guitars that where basically strats with pointy headstock, floyd and a humbucker in the bridge.

...The modern equivalent of an Ibanez. Yes. Most hair metal was played on super strats pre Jackson, Charvel, Ibanez, etc. Usually with HSH set ups or at the very least stacked singles and a bucker in the bridge. Why pay as much for the standard strat and an additional 250 to upgrade it when you could go straight to Ibanez and have it done for you minus the cost of pups?

OP, go play an HSS strat too. I own two strats, they're wonderful instruments but I just can't see it being to your taste without a good deal of work.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jul 19, 2011,
I have nothing against ibanez...

But to say a fat strat cant do the genres mentioned and will limit you is WRONG imo. yeah you might need to upgrade the pickups..

You'd need to do that in a prs se as well as well as the majority of ibanez too apart from the ones which are far out of the price range of a prs se..
It's obvious that neither of us will change our opinion on this one. You have a lot of good suggestions in here OP but none of us can do anything but point you in a direction. You need to go play the guitars for yourself and decide. I think you'll be much happier that way.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
...The modern equivalent of an Ibanez. Yes. Most hair metal was played on super strats pre Jackson, Charvel, Ibanez, etc. Usually with HSH set ups or at the very least stacked singles and a bucker in the bridge. Why pay as much for the standard strat and an additional 250 to upgrade it when you could go straight to Ibanez and have it done for you minus the cost of pups?

OP, go play an HSS strat too. I own two strats, they're wonderful instruments but I just can't see it being to your taste without a good deal of work

So skip that and buy a Super strat instead?

A HSH Super Strat with a decent trem is the only realistic option for TS.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'm not saying a superstrat isnt the best option

I'm just saying an hss strat can do the stuff mentioned

as well as a prs se anyway.
Quote by Tom 1.0
So skip that and buy a Super strat instead?

A HSH Super Strat with a decent trem is the only realistic option for TS.

I've been arguing FOR that with coolstoryangus for the last two pages....

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
A strat with an ash body wont sound very metal dude, its not really worth getting an HSS strat, whn theres better options. The EC1000 with duncans for example is as versatile as it can get in the range.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
I never actually said "HE SHOULD GET AN HSS STRAT"

i was just arguing that it could do those sounds IMO

Maybe not stock but you'd upgrade pickups in an se as well...
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I've been arguing FOR that with coolstoryangus for the last two pages....

AH

Simple miscommunication I guess. You're normally on the ball.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
the obviouse answer is a bc rich green gunslinger....but i can see the 1 pickup not being very versatile
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
the obviouse answer is a bc rich green gunslinger....but i can see the 1 pickup not being very versatile

Trololololololol.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
an 80's metal guitar? That's easy

Neon Ibanez RG550
Ibanez JEM777DY
Charvel Model 4
Charvel SoCal
Jackson Soloist
Jackson Dinky
Carvin DC135
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Trololololololol.

meant to type can't
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
£500 - £600? Used Ibanez S prestige definitely. Hell, I'll sell you my S1220 if you want..
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Line 6 Variax
HILT!

Where's Waldo?