Every other day or so I see threads being created on current political and economic issues. The debt ceiling, political and economic injustices, etc. The question is, what are YOU going to do about it?

This thread is NOT meant to be a copy of the already existing political thread. Instead, it's a calling to all politically active Pitgoers to come discuss current political/economic issues and what they themselves are currently doing to help change things.

Face it, we all debate on here on these topics, but I've only seen a few posting that they've actively demonstrated and become conscious citizens in their respective societies. So get off your lazy asses and start becoming active in your community.

Step 1: Become informed.
http://www.bbc.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/docarchive
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/law
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/fooc
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/globalnews
http://www.cnn.com/
Google News
http://www.guardian.co.uk/
http://www.nytimes.com/
http://www.freebookspot.be/ - Lots of books, from history, law, philosophy, politics to fiction.
http://onebigtorrent.org/ - Lot of resources from lectures to books, often with a left/anarchist slant

Step 2: Discuss current events and formulate an opinion.

Step 3: Do something about it. Write your congressman (or woman for that matter), figure out where the latest demonstrations are going on locally in your area, sign petitions, spread the news, etc.

http://www.idealist.org/
Last edited by Myfirstpubes at Jul 19, 2011,
Quote by Myfirstpubes
yes?

Daily Mail I think
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Myfirstpubes

The Daily Mail has been involved in a number of notable libel suits. Among them are: 2010, July—£47,500 award to Parameswaran Subramanyam for falsely claiming that he secretly sustained himself with hamburgers during a 23-day hunger strike in Parliament Square to draw attention to the plight of Tamils in Sri Lanka.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail

This is better: http://www.guardian.co.uk/
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

The Daily Mail has been involved in a number of notable libel suits. Among them are: 2010, July—£47,500 award to Parameswaran Subramanyam for falsely claiming that he secretly sustained himself with hamburgers during a 23-day hunger strike in Parliament Square to draw attention to the plight of Tamils in Sri Lanka.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail

This is better: http://www.guardian.co.uk/

My apologies, being American I got the Guardian and Daily Mail confused for some reason. Will edit.
9/11 was a staged event.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
I actually plan on running for city council when I'm of age, or maybe when I'm nineteen. If I lose, I'm going to ragequit and move to Canada. I've been involved with a number of things at my school, the most notable of which includes spearheading a project that ended district-endorsed sexism. Haven't done jack shit about the debt-ceiling or anything, except for complain about it on the internet.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I'm going to blame it all on the Christians and Republicans.

Im gonna blame on people associated that are black and dont have sexual reproductive organs
Also, for political books, which are way better than news sites

http://www.freebookspot.be/ - Lots of books, from history, law, philosophy, politics to fiction.
http://onebigtorrent.org/ - Lot of resources from lectures to books, often with a left/anarchist slant
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by ampoverload
Im gonna blame on people associated that are black and dont have sexual reproductive organs

It's not my fault my Momma was on acne medication.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I'm active in a few student groups, interned in some political offices, and I write editorials for the student newspaper. eg.

Cuomo’s Budget Favors Businesses Over Students

Brian ******
Staff Writer

On Sunday, Mar. 27, 2011, Governor Andrew Cuomo and leaders of the New York state legislature announced a $132.5 billion budget agreement which, as reported by the Wall Street Journal, includes “some $2 billion in Medicaid cuts, more than $1 billion in reductions in school funding, prison consolidations, the possibility of an estimated 9,800 layoffs of state employees and a $200 million cut in subsidies to colleges and universities.” Noticeably and disappointingly absent was an extension of the temporary income tax surcharge on wealthy New Yorkers, also known as the millionaires’ tax.

Mirroring his huffy counterpart across the Hudson, Governor Cuomo has sought to ease the state’s financial woes primarily on the backs of the middle and lower classes, shunning higher taxes on the wealthy despite the overwhelming approval of such measures among the general public. How overwhelmingly do New Yorkers want to extend the millionaires’ tax? By a margin of nearly 2 to 1 according to the Marist Polling Institute which recorded 64% in support of the measure versus only 33% opposed. Yet such numbers haven’t stopped Governor Cuomo from declaring, “This budget brings the power back to the people.” Rejoicing over a deal that directly contradicts their will.

It’s worth asking exactly why a Democratic governor in a supposedly liberal state would completely bypass raising taxes, in favor of draconian cuts to healthcare and education that disproportionately affect the most vulnerable members of our society. The answer is business. New Jersey’s Governor Chris Christie’s State Treasurer puts it: “It is not an accident that governors of both parties throughout the nation, including Governor Andrew Cuomo of New York, have come to share Governor Christie’s view that prohibitively high marginal income tax rates are anti-competitive, anti-growth and ultimately self-destructive.” In a way they’re right. Business owners favor environments in which they get to keep most of their profits. This is why American manufacturers outsource their operations to countries with no labor standards. That is also why, after Illinois raised its flat rate for personal income taxes from 3% to 5% and corporate taxes from 4.8% to 7%, Caterpillar Inc. is threatening to abandon its 23,000 Illinois workers to move to another state. Businesses favoring profit over all else is no new insight.

It is, however, exceedingly foolish to take the business community’s interests into account without considering the long-term consequences. If Governor Cuomo is tailoring his public policy around the interests of the wealthy out of genuine fear that New York may lose business to other states (and not simply out of, as I strongly suspect, cronyism), he must realize this only opens the door to further concessions. What is to stop states like Texas and Virginia from even lower taxes and increasing “incentives” to attract investment? What is to stop the competitiveness argument from spiraling into an all-out race to the bottom, as states vie with each other to create the most “business-friendly” environments at the expense of the general public? This is the same dynamic playing out on the international level, as countries with no labor standards attract investments, putting pressure on countries with labor standards to abandon them in order to stay “competitive.”

If we continue to enact policy that placates the business community and hurts everyone else, we are truly over a barrel. The only solution to this problem is consistency. Tax policies among states must stop resembling a game of whack-a-mole, where corporations like Caterpillar can leave Illinois over a single digit tax increase and simply reappear in Nebraska or South Dakota. States must work together to ensure that businesses will face the same tax rates and the same regulations regardless of where they reside.

The same thing must happen on the international stage, with the United States ceasing to undermine its own labor rights and instead working to improve labor rights in Latin America, Asia and every other place where workers are subject to blatant exploitation in the name of profit. There is already something nauseating about the sight of ordinary people falling over each other to please their business masters, but it’s made only more so when you realize they’re doing it at the clear expense of their common interest.

I don't suppose I'll be doing much of really tangible importance until I finish law school.

Btw I'd add this website to OP: http://www.idealist.org/ It's a good resource for finding volunteer opportunities.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
To stir a bit of thought and discussion, here's a survey with credit to Revleft.com and sk8ordie97

The RevLeft Political Survey

General:

What do you identify yourself politically as?:

What political party in the United States do you identify with the most?:

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being "He should be impeached" and 10 being "One of the best Presidents" how would you rate President Barack Obama of the USA so far?:

What country other then your home country do you favour the most?:

Foreign Policy

Do you support the US/NATO Military Operations in Iraq?:

Do you support the US and Coalition Military Operation in Afghanistan?:

Do you support any sort of intervention in Darfur (Military, humanitaritan, etc,)?:

What should be done with North Korea on the current nuclear crisis?:

What is your opinion of the Dokdo dispute between the Republic of Korea and the Empire of Japan?:

What is your opinion of NATO and should it expand across Europe?:

What should be done about Zimbabwe?:

What should be done about the Mexican Drug Wars and should the US and other countries intervene?:

Do you support the military actions against pirates in Somalia and do you think more action should be taken?:

Economy

Should there be Universal Health Care or if there is in your nation do you support it?:

How should taxes be organized?:

How should the recession be ended?

Do you support the US Government's Economic Stimulus Plan?:

Should the automobile companies be bailed out by the US government?:

Is the minimum wage sufficent or not?:

Social/Moral

Do you support abortion and what restrictions should be placed on it?:

Do you support gay marriage or civil unions or domestic partnerships?:

Do you think Creationism or Intelligent Design should or should not be taught in school?:

Do you think broadcasting, publishing etc. should be regulated for violence, profantity, sexuality etc.?:

How do you think birth control should be regulated?:

Do you support prayer in schools and if so how much (voluntary or required?):

What is your opinion of capital punishment and which crimes should it be applied to?:

How much should firearms and other weapons be regulated?:

History

Was the United States right in going to war against the secessionist Confederate States in the Civil War?:

Was the United States justified on dropping the atomic bombs on Hiroshima?:

Was colonialism or at least parts of it justified?:

Was the American Revolution justified?:
Quote by due 07
I actually plan on running for city council when I'm of age, or maybe when I'm nineteen. If I lose, I'm going to ragequit and move to Canada.

Have fun with Harper
I'm posting in here.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/07/19/273349/130-republicans-voted-debt/

A ThinkProgress review of the votes in both the House and Senate finds that a whopping 130 congressional Republicans voted to hike the debt ceiling that November that remain in the U.S. Congress today (either in their same seats or by coming to the Senate). These members of Congress did not demand draconian cuts in public investment that would’ve driven up unemployment and threatened the economy in return.

Of course, there was one other difference between then and today. President George W. Bush was in the White House, and Republicans did not have an incentive to try to politically damage him by holding the debt ceiling hostage. In 2002, during another hike in the nation’s debt limit under Bush, his press secretary Ari Fleischer said it was important to raise the debt ceiling because it was not the time “to engage in activites that could in any way raise questions about the full faith and credit of the United States”:

MR. FLEISCHER: The Senate passed, 68-29, a clean increase in the debt limit. The President praises the Senate’s action. The debt limit is a very important issue. This is not the time to play any — this is not the time to engage in any activities that could in any way raise questions about the full faith and credit of the United States. And the President urges the House to follow the Senate’s action on this matter.

These votes also prove that these Republicans, when faced with the default of their country, are willing to vote to raise the debt ceiling; this indicates that it is perhaps unneccesary to strike any sort of deficit reduction deal at all to win their votes. If Republicans and Democrats want to strike a grand bargain on deficit reduction, they can certainly do that in the context of the budget appropriations process rather than holding the debt limit hostage.

Thoughts anyone?
Rawlsian

None

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being "He should be impeached" and 10 being "One of the best Presidents" how would you rate President Barack Obama of the USA so far?:
5 - Standard

I like the policies of Scandinavian countries such as Norway, if that's what this question means.

Foreign Policy

No

No

Do you support any sort of intervention in Darfur (Military, humanitaritan, etc,)?:
Humanitarian, possible peacekeeping troops to protect civilians and refugees.

Nothing

What is your opinion of the Dokdo dispute between the Republic of Korea and the Empire of Japan?:
N/A

Dislike, and no.

Humanitarian aid.

What should be done about the Mexican Drug Wars and should the US and other countries intervene?:
Legalisation of drugs is the only viable solution

Do you support the military actions against pirates in Somalia and do you think more action should be taken?:
No and no.

Economy

Should there be Universal Health Care or if there is in your nation do you support it?:
Yes.

Progressively, those most able to pay more without impinging upon quality of life should do so.

If I knew the answer to this question I'd be doing it.

No, but some stimulus packages can be good, in theory at least.

Yes, but only for pragmatic reasons

Nope.

Social/Moral

I support choice, restrictions should be the same as for any surgery and abortion should not be allowed after, at the latest when the gross structure of the brain is fully formed

Gay marriage.

Do you think Creationism or Intelligent Design should or should not be taught in school?:
Should not, except perhaps in religion class.

Do you think broadcasting, publishing etc. should be regulated for violence, profantity, sexuality etc.?:
No

The same as any other regulation on medical products (safety and quality control)

No.

What is your opinion of capital punishment and which crimes should it be applied to?:
It's ethically repugnant and practically useless.

About as much as cars.

History

Was the United States right in going to war against the secessionist Confederate States in the Civil War?:
No real opinion

No

Not really

For the most part.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
This took a while.

General

What do you identify yourself politically as?
Syndicalist with (left) libertarian tendencies.

What political party in the United States do you identify with the most?
None. There are a few politicians I identify with, but no parties.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being "He should be impeached" and 10 being "One of the best Presidents" how would you rate President Barack Obama of the USA so far?
I don't know, probably four.

What country other then your home country do you favour the most?
I tend to like Scandinavian countries.

Foreign Policy

Do you support the US/NATO Military Operations in Iraq?
No.

Do you support the US and Coalition Military Operation in Afghanistan?
No.

Do you support any sort of intervention in Darfur (Military, humanitaritan, etc,)?
Humanitarian. Possibly light, non-violent military intervention.

What should be done with North Korea on the current nuclear crisis?
I'm not sure. Cross our fingers and hope we don't get blown into oblivion.

What is your opinion of the Dokdo dispute between the Republic of Korea and the Empire of Japan?
Haven't done enough research to state an opinion I'm confident in.

What is your opinion of NATO and should it expand across Europe?
Can't say I care for it, and definitely not.

What should be done about Zimbabwe?
Humanitarian aid.

What should be done about the Mexican Drug Wars and should the US and other countries intervene?
Quit with the irrational intervention and encourage legalization and regulation of drugs.

Do you support the military actions against pirates in Somalia and do you think more action should be taken?
No.

Economy

Should there be Universal Health Care or if there is in your nation do you support it?
Absolutely there should be, and I would support it.

How should taxes be organized?
A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.

How should the recession be ended?]
There's no easy answer. I think a good start would be to not be so committed to anti-hyperinflation measures.

Do you support the US Government's Economic Stimulus Plan?
No. The stimulus money could have been allocated more strategically.

Should the automobile companies be bailed out by the US government?
Yes.

Is the minimum wage sufficent or not?
I don't think so.

Social/Moral

Do you support abortion and what restrictions should be placed on it?
I'm very pro-choice. Few restrictions should be placed on it. I guess maybe third-trimester abortions are a grey-area for me.

Do you support gay marriage or civil unions or domestic partnerships?
Gay marriage, yeah.

Do you think Creationism or Intelligent Design should or should not be taught in school?
God no. Not as fact, anyways.

Do you think broadcasting, publishing etc. should be regulated for violence, profanity, sexuality etc.?
No, I'm fairly anti-censorship.

How do you think birth control should be regulated?
Like other drugs -- safety measures and stuff. It should be a priority to make it widely available.

Do you support prayer in schools and if so how much (voluntary or required?)
Not at all.

What is your opinion of capital punishment and which crimes should it be applied to?
I think it's egregious.

How much should firearms and other weapons be regulated?
A lot. I'd prefer for them to be less readily available than they are now, and less ingrained into our culture.

History

Was the United States right in going to war against the secessionist Confederate States in the Civil War?
I'm undecided. Mostly no, but I'm not sure.

Was the United States justified on dropping the atomic bombs on Hiroshima?
Good God no.

Was colonialism or at least parts of it justified?
No.

Was the American Revolution justified?
-ish.
Last edited by due 07 at Jul 19, 2011,
The RevLeft Political Survey

General:

I don't.

I don't.

5 or 6

Denmark is pretty cool.

Foreign Policy

No.

No.

Humanitarian intervention.

In the current circumstances, nothing.

Don't know enough about the issue.

Don't like it.

Humanitarian intervention.

Legalization.

I feel like I would support most nonviolent actions.

Economy

Yes.

Extremely progressive and simplified.

Beats me.

No.

Case by case. But in general, sure.

Is the minimum wage sufficient or not?:
No

Social/Moral

I'm against abortion, but for killing babies.

Gay marriage.

In an optional religion class, totally. But not in any mandatory curriculum.

Do you think broadcasting, publishing etc. should be regulated for violence, profanity, sexuality etc.?:
No.

Like any other drug.

Voluntary is cool by me.

None.

I'm not too sure on this yet.

History

No.

No.

No.

Yes.
i don't know why i feel so dry
General:

Nothing really, some sort of Leftist though
none
10, using the given scale. 2 if the description of 10 wasn't retarded
Prolly Norway
Foreign Policy

No
No
Humanitarian
Remove economic sanctions, ideally removing tension
N/A
What is your opinion of NATO and should it expand across Europe?:Eww and no

N/A
Legalize all drugs, no intervention should be attempted, it won't work anyway
Do you support the military actions against pirates in Somalia and do you think more action should be taken?:Not really as long the reasons for people resorting to piracy continue to be ignored/unchanged

Economy

Yes
Progressively, based on individuals rather than households
Magic
No, it was too small to have the needed effect.
Yes, unfortunately it was the best option, even if it means saving rich idiots.
Not even close.
Social/Moral

Yes, it should be the woman's choice. 3rd trimester abortions being banned, though I'm not that knowledgeable on the exact marker.
Gay marriage
Not
No
Pill avaliable for any female who has hit puberty with parental consent needed until she reaches age of consent. Condoms available freely
No
Disgusting, largely hypocritical, and ineffective.
Available, background checks, etc required. Have to check the gun in every year.
History

No, much like the British were wrong to go to war in the Revolution
No, it was mostly a diplomatic stunt
No
Yes
I sign various petitions. I also am sent emails by a few politicians I support, and I send them emails stating my opinion on various bills. My family has also called up politicians and stated our opinions to them. In fact, we once told one of senators that, if he didn't vote no on a bill, we'd vote against him in the next election. And we all voted for his opponent. (My immediate family seems to have rather similar political views. )
Most recently, I've been opposing internet censorship. There's a bill in the works that would basically allow the government to tell internet providers that certain sites should go on a black list of sorts. Then, when someone searches for that site, it wouldn't ever show up. I think that censorship of the internet is bullshit. So, I've been very willing to send my congressman and senator stuff telling them so. I also signed a petition on it.

Basically, I think it can be said that I do more than post on UG about it...
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I act like a twat to anyone I meet who I know voted conservative

How do they tell the difference?