So I was learning Baby I'm Gonna Leave You from Zeppelin and the progression goes as follows:

Am; C/G; D/F#; F; E;

It resolves in Am so in that key we have:

i, III, IV, bVI, V;

Theoretically, the IV and V should be minor chords but they aren't. Why does it work then? Did he just borrow the chords from the parallel major key?

Thanks
In minor, IV and especially V are almost always major. A minor v chord doesn't carry the power of the dominant since it lacks the leading tone. Additionally, the IV chord is often made major when used in conjunction with the V or for various other reasons. That's where your harmonic and melodic minor scales come from, the reduction of the major-ing of IV and V.

They could, in some sense, be considered "borrowed" chords. But not in the same manner that most of the educated theory world "borrows" chords.

EDIT:
To take the theory out of it, a major V in minor generally just SOUNDS better. Try playing it minor and see.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jul 19, 2011,
Quote by symba05
Theoretically, the IV and V should be minor chords but they aren't. Why does it work then? Did he just borrow the chords from the parallel major key?

You could explain it away like that, but it's probably more accepted to say he just harmonized with the Melodic/Harmonic Minor scales. The major V creates a stronger resolution to the tonic due to the presence of the leading tone.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by soviet_ska
You could explain it away like that, but it's probably more accepted to say he just harmonized with the Melodic/Harmonic Minor scales. The major V creates a stronger resolution to the tonic due to the presence of the leading tone.

Gotta keep in mind that harmonic and melodic minor came as a result of raising the 7th and 6th degrees to make IV and V major rather than as scales.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Gotta keep in mind that harmonic and melodic minor came as a result of raising the 7th and 6th degrees to make IV and V major rather than as scales.

I understand now, thank you! You said that the minor v chord was missing the leading tone. Did you mean the 7th of Am? (G# note)
Quote by symba05
I understand now, thank you! You said that the minor v chord was missing the leading tone. Did you mean the 7th of Am? (G# note)

Yeah! But also remember that the 7th degree isn't ALWAYS called the leading tone but if it's a half step away from tonic (scale degree 1 or the root note of your key) it's the leading tone.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712