I remember reading about a technique for recording guitar where you place 1 mic directly facing the speaker cone, and the other is facing it at a 45 degree angle. I was thinking that In Flames used this technique, but I haven't been able to find anything out...

If anyone knows what I'm referring to it would really help me out!
Mmmm...using two mics with one of them off axis? I don't know of a specific name for the technique but almost everyone uses 2 if not 3 mics on cabs now.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I know, but I'm pretty sure there's a name for that specific set up, or at least the name of the person that popularized it?
Fredrik Nordstrom from Studio Fredman in Sweden

LTD EX-351
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1960A
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by lepermessiah22 at Jul 19, 2011,
Quote by lepermessiah22
Fredrik Nordstrom from Studio Fredman in Sweden

You have just answered my question perfectly.

You deserve a hi-five!

Well, the sound of that In Flames record is often called 'The Clayman Sound'... never heard anyone name that technique though as it isn't just the mic position that got the sound where it is.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Well, the sound of that In Flames record is often called 'The Clayman Sound'... never heard anyone name that technique though as it isn't just the mic position that got the sound where it is.

I'm not referring to the sound, or the album, just the miking technique itself. I appreciate your input though!