well today i found a white alvarez 4 string bass at a pawn shop for 175 dollars. i want to know if its worth the money. i have no pics and cant find jack on google about it so im hoping you guys can help with my description. its all white neck thru, with two alvarez labeled soapbar pickups, stratish body shape, squared off headstock, 24 frets with what looks like a rosewood fingerboard, fret markers are side dots and diagonal lines on the fingerboard, and has a volume knob and two tone knobs with a 3 way pickup selector toggle switch. the neck and headstock are painted white also with black hardware. the volume pot is quite loose but still usable. do you guys know anything about this bass?
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Sounds pretty awesome to me, I would buy it if you like it.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
i think it would be a steal to buy any neck thru for that money. it played great, i know how to fix the volume knob as well. but i just want a second opinion because i cant find jack about the bass.
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Sounds like a good deal but I would try negotiating $150.00. Are you a new bass player?
not really ive been playing for a year and a half. ive actually been on this forum for a while but havent been posting lately. im trying to upgrade from my rogue that i got for $150

EDIT: wheres fatalgear when you need him?
Quote by Bass First
Last edited by summerson1 at Jul 19, 2011,
link

Well there's no info, but I do believe that to be the bass. It's shiny? My friend has an old Alvarez electric and it's amazing for a near 20 year old guitar. But if you like it I say buy it. If the sounds not that great you can always upgrade the pickups/preamp to help it out a little
thats the same exact bass! and i love the sound and the feel is pretty good as well except the action being a little high. and i believe its passive being that there isnt any boost/cut knobs that i seen.
Quote by Bass First
Action is an easy fix. And as long as you like the sound man then that's all there is to it. Just really check the neck to make sure it's not warped but other than it not being taken care of over time, I trust Alvarez quality. I was close to buying one of their new acoustics even though it was really cheap because of how amazing it sounded. Though I say go for it
Entry level stuff, maybe on a slightly higher level but still not really worth it imo. You're better off saving up and getting a true upgrade. Just because it's a neck through doesn't make it good.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Entry level stuff, maybe on a slightly higher level but still not really worth it imo. You're better off saving up and getting a true upgrade. Just because it's a neck through doesn't make it good.

He's right, but it's also up to you, all my upgrades cost me less than my first. Neck through isn't a sign of quality, but rather a method of building. I think if you're trying to upgrade past your rogue, anything would work, but that would I'm sure. Only suggestion is like what everyone else said, make a lower offer. go back wander around the store, check out the bass, look for any wear and tear and remember it, along with missing strings, old strings anything. When you go to make you're offer go low and start showing all the issues it has, nearly all pawn shop owners have little clue other than what the internet says about it and also set prices high because people will always haggle. Of course he might have a *friend* who can come in and look at it for him
yep i bought it today. its great! as far as wear and tear the strings are pretty bright still and the neck is straight as an arrow. as posted above the volume knob is the only issue but thats no big deal. ill post pics on a nbd thread tomorrow. it also came with a hard case as well
Quote by Bass First
Congrats on the buy, now you should send in the serial number in to Alvarez to see if you can get some more info