After reading the comments on one of the news articles today, I became aware of a genre of music that struck me as curious.

Fake metal, as it was put.

So, I'm making this thread so we can discuss this "fake metal" and get to the bottom of it, becuase quite frankly, I'm dumbfounded. The only thing I can think of that could be categorized as fake metal in music terms, would be like a Weird Al' cover, right?

Hopefully this will draw up some of these "fake metal investigators" so they can shed some light.

First however, I think its important that we define what real metal is in the first place, so let it begin. I'd like everyone that posts to give their idea of what metal is, and then give their idea and/or example of what fake metal is. I'll start.

To me, metal is anything that makes you ball your fist when you hear it - anything that with lots of energy, killer guitar riffs, meaningful, empathetic vocals, and fairly energetic drum work to keep the tempo up.

and as stated before, my idea of "fake metal" would come off as an Weird Al' cover.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Obviously band using back tracks instead of actually playing themselves live is ****ing lame, like in the article, but that doesn't make them fake.

To me Trivium is just a garbage band, popular or not, who wanted to vent some opinion. There's their opinion, if you care is up to you.
People who consider bands like Trivium to be fake metal are morons...

Actually scratch that, anyone who considers metalcore to be fake metal are morons. The clue is in the name. Metal+hardcore.

I can understand calling A Day To Remember fake metal, but then again I don't believe they even claim to be metal. An abundance of breakdowns combined with Fall Out Boy-esque vocals is not metal.
Quote by Random3

Actually scratch that, anyone who considers metalcore to be fake metal are morons. The clue is in the name. Metal+hardcore.

I can understand calling A Day To Remember fake metal, but then again I don't believe they even claim to be metal. An abundance of breakdowns combined with Fall Out Boy-esque vocals is not metal.

I'll usually just call ADTR metal or other bands like that metal. It's a lot easier to say that instead of saying they are post-hardcore or whatever genre you wanna say they are and then having to explain what that is. I don't believe they are rock either...
LOL limp bizkit

who actually listens to nu metal anymore, it had the shelf life of like a takout coleslaw
Last edited by piratemetalhead at Jul 19, 2011,
New and popular = Fake Metal, hell new=Fake metal
Old=Real metal.

E.g people call GnR metal but not A7X. A7X are way more Metal than GnR, as GnR isn't metal.

I basically say anything more metal than GnR is metal. I consider bands like A7X, BFMV and Trivium "Metal".

I get the impression most Metalheads are too far up themselves to consider bands they dislike metal. You can say Black is White for as long as you want, doesn't make it true.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Jul 19, 2011,
This whole discussion and that articles responses is a prime example of what's wrong with metal these days.

So many idiots are obsessed with how 'metal' they are or what stupid obscure sub-genre they fit into whilst paying out bands who aren't as 'metal' as they are or fit into a less obscure sub-genre.

I used to love metal, eat breathe and sleep the shit, and I never cared about any of this crap, then it became such a huge deal and I just lost interest because it all became so vomit inducingly pretentious. Metal and metal fans seem to be more concerned with how the world perceives them than a teenage girl on prom night. Just shut up and get on with the music.

End Rant.
Quote by piratemetalhead
LOL limp bizkit

who actually listens to nu metal anymore, it had the shelf life of like a takout coleslaw

And just what about Limp Bizkit is fake metal? Your entitled to your opinion, but it should be justified.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
ive heard many people tell me that metalcore isnt real metal.. I listen to "real" metal and understand theres a difference hence the word core at the end. I guess some people use intolerance of music they dont like as a way to feel superior because they listen to the best most realistic music.
I google image'd the term 'fake metal' and came back with this.

The term is now invalid.
Weybl Himself, I agree there is nothing worse than going on YouTube to check out a band you like and the comment box is filled with comments like "Not metal, check out *obscure band only they have heard of*"

I don't care what is Metal and what isn't. I mean Bon Jovi is one of my favorite bands it's not like I'm tied to Metal and thats all I am allowed to like.
I think metal is a bunch of talented people come together to play heavy music. I really hate scene kids saying they love metal when half the time is just hardcore or scene craps. "fake metal" to me is hardcore and scene. Where the song is in drop D and is played like this.

D-0000-111-0000-111-1111-0000.

And every song is the same and all the vocals are the same.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
fake metal? i thought they closed the nu-metal forum
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Heavy metal farmer?
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
Quote by silent caution
fake metal? i thought they closed the nu-metal forum

they did? its probably because there's no more white boys dying their hair blue and spiking it with half a tub of the shiniest gel lol

i dont know anybody in real life who listens to metalcore either to be honest...
I think it's all subjective. I just like metal...all kinds. I don't know the difference in genre for the most part, nor does it matter to me. There are bands in all genres that I don't care for but that doesn't make them not "metal". I may have my preference but calling a band "fake" is kinda hard without defining "real".
I totally indirectly started this thread. I asked the age old question of, "What exactly is 'Fake Metal?'" Seriously I did. Check out the Trivium shit on the homepage.

But seriously there is no such thing as "Fake Metal" just metal that some people don't like, so in turn the constantly bitch about it because they have to be different from everyone else. Just a bunch of ****in hipsters really.

Just remember people your different, just like everyone else.

Bottom line if you don't like it don't listen to it, and don't bitch.
Quote by piratemetalhead
they did? its probably because there's no more white boys dying their hair blue and spiking it with half a tub of the shiniest gel lol

i dont know anybody in real life who listens to metalcore either to be honest...

wait...no more Orgy fanboys?
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
it's all rock, stop trying to make so many genres and sub genres and sub sub sub subway genres. You either like a song or you don't. Why are there so many people trying to make everything so white and black? I just don't get it, isn't music suppose to be about making something different and not always following rules or expectations?
Quote by karurosu
it's all rock, stop trying to make so many genres and sub genres and sub sub sub subway genres. You either like a song or you don't. Why are there so many people trying to make everything so white and black? I just don't get it, isn't music suppose to be about making something different and not always following rules or expectations?

I agree!

Subway-core and Nu-Subway are great genres though. Always fresh.
Fake to me are bands that claim to be metal, but aren't or are wrongly called so. I don't hate on a band that never claims it was metal and understands that they aren't, but I keep in mind that the genre this band belongs to is mistaken for actual Metal.

Metal: Heavy/Traditional, Thrash(Traditional+Hardcore Punk)/Speed, Black, Death/Melodic Death, Doom,Stoner,Power, Progressive, Gothic, Folk/Viking, Sludge(Doom+Hardcore).

Sub-genre/Mixed Genres: Hardcore Punk: Crossover thrash(Thrash+more hardcore)-Grindcore(Death metal+Hardcore), Symphonic, Industrial, Ambient/Drone(Ambient Black Metal, Funeral Doom-death/doom+ambient),post-Rock(Post-Metal, it mostly pertains to Sludge bands that mix with post-rock, there are also Black Metal bands mixing with post-rock)

Nu-Metal: I find very little metal moments in most of this genre, most of the time it's just RATM+Grunge. SOAD have the most, Slipknot's newest album was metaly I guess...Other then that everyone here is out.

Metalcore: A lot of kids are really dumb when it comes to this. SURPRISE, METALCORE ISN'T A CONCRETE GENREEEEEEEEE!
Anyway, these fools argue that any band that is Metalcore isn't metal. But the thing is any band that mixs Metal and hardcore is Metalcore. It's really a simple task of deducing what influence the band has more of. If there is more Metal, Classify it as METAL, if there is more hardcore, IT IS HARDCORE. Example: Shadows Fall mix moslty Melodic Thrash/Death riffs with some Hardcore dumming and vocals. Very minimal Hardcore influence, but enough to notice. This Band is Metal. The next band, Atreyu, is a band that mixs post-hardcore riffs, vocals and structure, but throws downtunned with the odd dual lead and heavy drumming, mostly hardcore here. See, easy!
Quote by Random3

Yeah...guess what? Metalcore =/= metal. Ask any true Metalhead.