I've been playing guitar for roughly two years, and a couple of friends and I decided to form a band a few months ago. We're into everything the Byrds, to Van Halen, to The English Beat, the John Lee Hooker, to Pat Methany, but we want to keep an emphasis on bluesy rock. My playing is at the point that I can play at least 20 songs start to finish from memory, as well as coming up with a few licks of my own. We have managed to play through a few blues standards with improve sections and it sounds decent. The band is made up of me on guitar, a a friend who plays bass (and sax if we need it) and a third guy who can play drums and sing. But the problem is that he can't do them at the same time. We've been searching for months for a singer OR a drummer with no luck. I was curious if anyone can give me any advice on:

1. What I can do about finding a singer/drummer, or finding some other solution.

2. Any other advice or suggestions.
Why don't you sing?
A callous exterior isn't an uncommon way of protecting ideals; it hides the idealists from the derision of fools and cowards. But it also immobilizes them, so that, in trying to preserve their ideals, they risk losing them.
Post an ad on Craigslist and on UG looking for a singer and a separate one for a drummer. Also, talk to people at your school, especially those in choir/band. Hang out at music stores, talk to people there.

While you're doing that, I would strongly suggest that you learn how to sing, even if it's just harmonies. A larger skill set never hurt anybody (and to be honest, once you get the basics down, singing isn't all that hard). I'd recommend you get a private tutor, but barring that, become a regular on the Singing & Vocals subforum. Also, try to get your drummer to do the same, just in case something doesn't work out on your end of things.

Best of luck mate.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Okay thanks. I actually have another question. How should I go about being the only guitarist? I mean if I was to play, say, a Tom Petty song, should I like take the two guitar parts and play sections of each in order to sound good? And how about soloing? I know a lot of guys do it but I'm not exactly sure how to do it without it sounding awkward
Quote by Foxfan0318
Okay thanks. I actually have another question. How should I go about being the only guitarist? I mean if I was to play, say, a Tom Petty song, should I like take the two guitar parts and play sections of each in order to sound good? And how about soloing? I know a lot of guys do it but I'm not exactly sure how to do it without it sounding awkward

Just practice more and arranging parts better. You can pull off pretty much any 2 guitar song with one guitar once you have confidence and skill on your instrument. Another important part is to listen to a song critically, and decide which parts of the song are the most necessary if you were to cover them. You extract these parts and it can sometimes result in a completely different part, for example a guitar part which plays the synthesiser or horn parts because they're more important for the song.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud