I want to buy a new guitar and am really interested in the ibanez artcore series, preferably a as103 or a af105. What are your opinions? I want a good guitar for under $1000.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The Artcore series are nice, but I'd look into a Gretsch or something that deals mostly in simihollow and hollow body guitars.

Anything else besides gretsch? Because the electromatics are in my price range but I've heard their low quality
I've heard bad things about the gretsch stock pickups but should I just get a gretsch g5120 and get some tv jones pickups?
Check out the Samick RL series by Greg Bennett, they look and sound awesome and I think they cost from about $400-$600 depending on what model it is.
There's the PRS SE Custom semi-hollow, Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe or Thinline.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
The Epiphone Joe Pass guitar is an enexpensive classic you might check into. Also the Broadway.
Quote by Guitbuilder
The Epiphone Joe Pass guitar is an enexpensive classic you might check into. Also the Broadway.

Both are full hollow........
Epiphone Dot or the Epiphone Sheraton II. Great guitars. You'll probably want to do a pick-up swap down the line though, depending on what kind of music you play.
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
Is the gretsch g5120 made well? Because I don't want to just have good pickups in a bad guitar.
Peavey JF1.

mark
"I'm very happy to be here - on Earth." Les Paul, Inventors Hall of Fame induction speech.
Go used. I have a rock solid Epi Sheraton II that was MIK in 1999 that cost me $350. Nice guitar.
Quote by theianmacphee
Is the gretsch g5120 made well? Because I don't want to just have good pickups in a bad guitar.

Yes it's extremely well made, the only difference between the 5120's and one of the brian setzer models (can't remember which) is the pickups, they have the exact same body. The stock pickups aren't bad unless compared to the ones on the really expensive model. If you want to get tv jones pickups you need to get a conversion thing that tv jones sells. Also keep in mind these are full hollowbodies, not semihollows. But the gretschs are extremely well mad and very nice for the price.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Epiphone semi-hollows are some really underrated guitars. The Wildkat and Riviera are some of my favorites because, with their single-coil pickups, they have a growlier, clangier distortion tone and a chimier clean tone than many other semis.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Epiphone sherraton is seemingly always over looked they are sexy and sound awesome for around 500 and yes i am a fanboy
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
Quote by sonic_777111
Epiphone semi-hollows are some really underrated guitars. The Wildkat and Riviera are some of my favorites because, with their single-coil pickups, they have a growlier, clangier distortion tone and a chimier clean tone than many other semis.

Show me a Riviera with Single Coils, please.....
There are lots of options for Semi-Hollows under $1k. PRS SE series, Epi Wildkat, Dot, Sheriton, Hagstrom Viking, Indie, and probably a bunch more.

The Ibanez Artcore, Godin 5th Ave Kingpin, and Gretsch 5120s are full hollowbodies not semi's, and whoever told you that Gretsch Electromatics are low quality in either their pick-ups, woods, or build quality is completely full of $hit, or knows absolutely nothing about guitars. 5120's are awesome in all respects relative to cost. They play beautifully, they sound great clean, or overdriven, and the fit and finish is beautiful too.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Quote by paruwi

Though, I may have fallen into a trap. Seems that I've recently read that P90's aren't considered single coils.

As for the Gretsch G5120, I own one. They are very solid guitars. Even with the lesser pickups, it still sounds great. I use flatwounds. If it's too twangy for you, flatwound strings will set you straight.

EDIT: And yeah, it is a full hollowbody, not a semi.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by paruwi

P90s are single coils...

By the way, how's that Nighthawk treating you?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 5, 2011,