Page 1 of 6
Hey there writers of UG! This is for you. We've been hosting an ongoing competition for short stories! We're hoping that this thread will continue on. If you've any interest in writing, even if you've never tried, this is where to start! We will tell you how to do better.

The first one went very well, with 25 entrants and three judges, and the winner was dann_blood. The second round went just as well, and Sir Anonymous was crowned victor. In the third, Neopowell the PUSO was first place finisher. In the fourth round, webbtje took first place. In the fifth, Todd Hart pulled an upset for first with his first entry into this competition. The 6th round found vintage x metal victorious. The 7th was thebaron####. The most recent competition crowned vintage x metal first place finisher. All the threads can be found in the searchbar, and you can read the old stories in the threads and see old results there as well.

This eleventh round will be flash fiction, unlike previous rounds.

The last few rounds we used 500 words, but this time the limit is 369 words. There is no cap on entrances, but you're limited to one story per user.

We need judges, however. Go ahead and volunteer to judge.

There is no theme necessary.
Last edited by captaincrunk at Jul 21, 2011,
I’ve hurt them, and there’s not much I can do it to make it right, not now. My sweaty fingers tapped on the table restlessly. I shifted in my seat, unable to find any comfortable position. I reflexively shook the hair out of my eyes, although I was afraid to look at them. I’ve hurt them.

They’ve always cared for me, ever since I was born. Pretty much all of my friends had come from rough childhoods. Divorces, abuses, you name it. No one was as lucky as me—loving, supportive parents who let me lead my life how I chose. They trusted me. They trusted me with their money, spent in my ridiculously expensive private school education. They trusted me with a car, a beautiful Mercedes. They even trusted me with their credit card…for gas money and “emergencies,” although they seemed to turn a blind eye whenever I used it for pleasure.

They were crying now. I could hear them; I still couldn’t bear to look them in the eye. The muffled sobs, the pathetic sniffling…it was all too much to bear. I felt on the verge of tears myself. I couldn’t though. I was too numb. I’ve hurt them. I mouthed this phrase, barely believing it. They’d never hurt me; they’d never treated me with anything but love. What would happen now? Would I be kicked out? They might send me off somewhere to recover…I don’t know. I just wanted to close my eyes, and wake up a year ago, before any of this happened. That’s all I wanted. I had always made things right in the past, why couldn’t I now? There had to be something I could do to make things better.

But I couldn’t. I knew I couldn’t. This time was different. I finally looked up…unable to speak. I stared at my father, who was holding my needle as if he was holding my corpse.
Last edited by sir potato1 at Jul 20, 2011,
Quote by metal4eva_22
^^^Missed your writing in the CYOA.

It'll happen sooner or later! I'm actually at a writing program in Chicago. That was just an assignment we did and I liked...I've been busy. I'll write a chapter of the CYOA as soon as I can
Quote by captaincrunk
I first suggested 350, and then realized 360 was a more exciting number (what with circles and everything). We then realized that 69 is more exciting than 60.

I...see...
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
369?! ...I approve. Now to figure out which of my ideas will work... maybe I should write them all and then figure it out. At least it will give me something to do at work.
Question - does a shorthand date count as a word? (EG 1/5/01)

EDIT: I also might have to use a picture of a word document to reserve formatting if that's okay.
Last edited by WizMystery at Jul 20, 2011,
Quote by WizMystery
Question - does a shorthand date count as a word? (EG 1/5/01)

EDIT: I also might have to use a picture of a word document to reserve formatting if that's okay.

It's not quite okay. Paste the text at least into the post, and maybe include a "I would appreciate it if you please refer to the picture in my post at (insert link here)." Mostly because a judge will have to read your story 5-6 times, and it's nice to have them all in one text file.
Quote by captaincrunk
It's not quite okay. Paste the text at least into the post, and maybe include a "I would appreciate it if you please refer to the picture in my post at (insert link here)." Mostly because a judge will have to read your story 5-6 times, and it's nice to have them all in one text file.

That will work, I guess.

I might also want to include an abstract to explain the work. Would that count toward the word total?
Last edited by WizMystery at Jul 20, 2011,
In. Fuck, I've not written anything for aaaages.

EDIT: Found something that I was working on a while back and decided to finish it off. 369 dead on..

One. Two. Three. Four; oh, to get away some time would be nice! That one's for certain. If only I could go somewhere different just once, that would be enough for me. Instead of being stuck here, why, I could be anywhere I choose; now, wouldn't that be grand? I often imagine being on a beach, yes, a beach. I've read about beaches, I've seen pictures of them, they look very much like the kind of place that I'd like to be. Yes; a beach somewhere is where I'd most definitely like to go. I can almost see myself there now, in fact; I'm standing facing the ocean and there is white-coloured sand beneath my feet. Sand, yes. You'd think I'd be sick of sand by now, but to tell the truth; I don't think I would mind it so much if I experienced it in the proper context. Where was I? Ah yes, I'm looking at the ocean, it's deep blue and it seems to go on forever. I wonder if it does? Or are there more places beyond it? Never mind, what else is there? Trees! Yes, palm trees; I think they’re called – big ones, swaying in the breeze, small ones, ones that grow at a funny angle. Oh, and it’s sunset now, and the ocean is shimmering brightly and there’s a woman there with me. She’s wearing pink flowers in her long, brown hair which flows in the wind and brushes gently on my shoulders as I embrace her...looking deeply into her, beautiful eyes as I...

“STOP RIGHT THERE!!”

The startled worker craned his neck and looked into the glowing, mechanical eye that was now peering down at him.

“I..Is there a problem, sir?” He stammered

“YOU WERE DAYDREAMING!” the eye bellowed

“Daydreaming? N..No, sir, just taking a moment to, ah, visualise my task”

The eye whirred for a second as if in contemplation

“WELL, IN FUTURE CAN YOU SPEND MORE TIME ACTUALLY DOING YOUR TASK
RATHER THAN VISUALISING IT?”

With that, the eye retracted itself and sped off over the heads of the thousands of other human workers. The daydreamer sighed, returned to his jar of sand and began to count: “One. Two. Three. Four..”

I'm glad this contest is back
Last edited by PeZ546 at Jul 20, 2011,
Quote by captaincrunk
Yes.

This is hard.

I'll just include hints in the writing and hope the judges get the point of it.
Quote by sakura'sdarkest
I've got a loose idea for something; give me a little bit to type it up. When's the closing date?

It's at least a few weeks away.

I'm so goddamn ****ing sad, maybe I should write a cunting story.
Quote by captaincrunk

oh cool

Why are you sad?

And more importantly, why have you converted **** into a verb?
Going to enter this round.

Quote by captaincrunk
This tenth round will be flash fiction, unlike previous rounds.

wut
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood
Going to enter this round.

wut

I thought it was pretty clear. This is the second tenth round, duh.

Quote by sakura'sdarkest
And more importantly, why have you converted **** into a verb?

Isn't it more of an adjective or something there?
Last edited by captaincrunk at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by captaincrunk
I thought it was pretty clear. This is the second tenth round, duh.

Isn't it more of an adjective or something there?

D'oh! (slaps head for being an idiot) You're right, I was being a grammar noob.
Last edited by sakura'sdarkest at Jul 21, 2011,
Does anyone know of a character frequency analyzer that counts as you type or acts sort of like a letter bank?
My entry, 304 words.
(I had a friend look over the piece. The feedback was most illuminating. I hope that's ok.

Eugeny was sprawled out in a bloody mess with a knife in his skull. Sarah knew that killing him should have made her feel something, but it didn’t. She watched the life drain out of the intelligence officer's eyes as his blood leached into the carpet.
She wondered if this was normal, if it was right to ask yourself whether the lack of emotional response from murdering someone was expected or even sane. She got to work. Before she could search the apartment she had to report to MI6. She dialled the number.
“Report,” said the harsh voice of Moscow’s Chief Case Officer.
“Target has been...neutralised. Searching apartment for relevant intel. I may require extraction.”
“Acknowledged. This is unfortunate, but it was an expected eventuality. Initiate Case: N Green.”
“Understood,” she said and hung up.

Sarah snapped the prepaid mobile phone's sim card between her finger and thumb and swallowed the pieces. Her eyes settled on Eugeny’s corpse and stopped dead in her tracks. She'd always been afraid that she would have to kill in this job, and now that she had she felt cold.

Her thoughts warred. It had to be done, the information was too important. There was another way. He wasn't a good man. That doesn't mean he deserved to die. The world is better off; he was a murderer. So are you. You were supposed to get his laptop, not kill him!

She remembered what she had been told on the first day ‘...This job takes good people and it spits them out as something else.’ She felt drenched in blood, dirty.

She found Eugeny’s laptop soon enough. She left the corpse to the rats and the authorities. She cared about neither evidence nor Eugeny’s dignity.

Sarah just wanted to get out of Russia. She just wanted to go home.
Last edited by sakura'sdarkest at Jul 23, 2011,
Quote by PeZ546
^

Jesus Christ, man! Just write!

Quote by captaincrunk
You're thinking too hard.

Never mind, I've found a way to do what I needed. I'll just let the result justify the constant questioning.
Quote by captaincrunk

It's worth trying, and its not like we expect you to post it. The important thing is you're coming to terms with your own experiences, I think writing is a good way to do that.

Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Bored? read these, or this
Loria Lovelock
03/06/09
Law 211 – Evidence
Prof. Gilden

Selective Attention

• Witness Account #1: “I was in a hurry on the way to work. It was 8:52 am. As I rounded the corner of third and twenty-fourth, I noticed a man lunging in the opposite direction out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look only briefly, but I am sure he looked just like the defendant, your honor. He is even wearing the same watch he had on when he attacked that woman. I did not have time to help, nor to stay and watch, so I took off as fast as I could. All I took notice of was the speed he took off with.”

• Witness Account #2: “On the way to the park, a woman was on the ground. Her lungs were painted with blood. God it must have been 2 minutes turned sour. My friend felt faint when he saw the dilemma, as did the twenty pedestrians on the corner. I had to help her; 5 minutes of the year are not any annoyance when I hook to ethics. 8 years of school for this coy takeoff. The illicit could have waited to hold a rookie woo out of a crook. Adjudication notifies affinity to tutor that kook - I’d know.”

• Witness Account #3: “I was there when he took off. Looking for 5 minutes of fame, I had to chase after him. I won’t lie, I needed this. I had him pinned on the ground in about 8 seconds. My nuke force was too copious to acknowledge – why frontal? 2 Front hits. But he threatened too. I did not let his deceit run free just yet, you see. Your wish oft was my own. A certainty had yet to adorn my confidence. I took a look at the veil that had done horror. A palatial punk ran to ravel this – what a knot to whew!"

Things to consider:

1. Each account is an anagram of a situation.
2. Witnesses select their attention on different pieces of a scene.
3. A scene has a finite number of pieces.
4. Arrange and find the number of pieces to find out what happened.

Shit, this took forever to finish. I must have used the letter frequency analyzer about 150 times to get this right. If need be I'll explain it, but the "Things to consider" section should pretty much explain everything.

I would request that instead of copying the text above that the text from the document in this link be copied to retain its format:

http://www.mediafire.com/?codgrkdndbtr7dl
Last edited by WizMystery at Jul 24, 2011,
I'll give this another try, I suppose. I'll start writing tonight and hopefully have something I'm satisfied with in a few days
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
I almost won the flash fiction comp a few years ago (damn second plaaaaace). I'll give it another go with a slightly longer story.
#DTWD
I have one but I decided to make a story with only 55 words... so not even 15% of the max. but I hope the quality is graded in place of quantity.

Edit: Made it a quote lol

Jeffery

He had a wonderful night with her; she seemed so surprisingly sensual despite being shy. She wasn’t one to go out to eat either, but she was eager and willing to enter the bedroom.

“I’ll meet with you again tomorrow night for another date?” he asked playfully, as he lowered her back into the coffin.
My username is a Misnomer.

Im not into the whole drug scene....

I just think Fire is Boss.

Last edited by blazeman444 at Jul 24, 2011,
visit my blog for more: www.apeyardholler.com

In Sinai

I made my way to the center of the wood and I stood there and waited and nothing happened. No lion or she-wolf appeared before me, no leopard. A pitchness around like black ping-pongs racing in front of my face and I stood and I thought to myself the first generation to make less than our parents. What sits here with me, the trees and the dirt and the sallowed information buzzing around my head? Does my phone know where I am? Other men my age, other woman are afraid and we can Google our fears and look at pictures and we’re okay. Our parents hated their parents and now we’re ****ed up because we’ve been loved. I stand here and wait for Virgil or Ferris Bueller and nothing happens, I just stand and my legs get tired and I sit down and I watch a man insert a pickle-jar into his rectum. The jar is empty and I can’t see his face, only his middle-aged body. He is older than I am. He is hairier than I am. He is alone in his apartment and the video camera sits on the ground. He is silent, the jar goes inside of him and he is still silent when it explodes from the pressure. No noise, silence like these woods. He bleeds his the glass onto the floor and he stands and more blood comes out and the video goes out.I am silent and I stand and I’m left thinking what hath god wrought?

A bellowing beach rotting with videos of destitution and violence? The great river Acheron sits in front of me and there is no one there on the boat, Charon fell off and drowned. He was sexting.

All my peers, like Ciacco, stir like hogs in filth, yet they are washed by rain and see it as torment. They waste in states of apathy, disregard and I stand in the woods and there is no exit and I only intend to go further and further into them. These woods are not these woods, these woods are these cities and these towns. Cleopatra exists in everyone and Firefox says youtube again, and at the top of the page it says ‘Through me the way into eternal pain…’ and I stop the video because it is a fan-made Dragonball Z music video set to Breaking Benjamin. I stand in the woods, I did not wake here, I have walked here. I chose to come and I do not regret and I will not leave for there is no exit. I exist in the circles of the self-indulgent and I rest on one of them, all of them. Waiting in fear, or anticipation to climb lower into violence and maliciousness.
www.facebook.com/longlostcomic
Hmm I seem to have gotten a really good response from my "i just got followed/stalked by a cowboy" story... maybe I should enter? *scratches head*
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Carnivean
Hmm I seem to have gotten a really good response from my "i just got followed/stalked by a cowboy" story... maybe I should enter? *scratches head*

You should.