Page 1 of 2
I had to ride my bike through a part of town I usually don't go through today. Incidentally, this is the "poorer" section of town. As I was riding along, I heard a male voice yelling stuff that sounding like it was directed toward his daughter, shortly followed by a small girl crying.

This has been on my mind all day. I'm stressed out that my vinyl copy of Spiderland might arrive from amazon late, while there are people within 10 blocks of me who have to deal with drunken parents, might not have food every day, and are picked on because they are poor. To be honest, I think I experienced a life changing epiphany because of this.

Does anyone in the pit share my feelings?
Are you transforming into Bono or something?

Seriously though, this is why I always try to pitch in some community service over the summer. People need help, and we can provide it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Write a song about it.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Yeah that happens to me.

Then I forget about it and go back to being all apathetic and shit.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Yea I feel like that sometimes. When I was little, like 9, I was being a little jerkoff about not having a TV in my room. My mom then drove me through the poor section of town to show me how much I already had. I still think of that a lot.

But then I start complaining because I bought the cheaper guitar for myself so....
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jul 20, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi
Why would you compare me to Bono?!?!

Problem, genghis?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Yeah, that kind of stuff happens to me. Whenever I don't do anything, I feel like hell for at least a week.
people yelling and little girls crying made you realize that? Have you been living under a rock not only poor people yell at their kids. You must reallly have a good life.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
Last edited by longneckdude at Jul 20, 2011,
Quote by Momentosis
Write a song about it.

I'm starting with the man in the mirror...

HOO!
after having this epiphany, your political views will shift left drastically.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Not drunk parents, but that sounds like my neighborhood.

There was a gunfight about a week ago here. Being Working Poor is fun!
Quote by genghisgandhi
Yeah, but it's different when it's drunkenly in the shithole part of town.

North Americans in general have it good. What you might consider the poorer part of town is probably ten times better off than other places. But I agree it makes our problems seem insignificant compared to what other people go through.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
Quote by genghisgandhi
I had to ride my bike through a part of town I usually don't go through today. Incidentally, this is the "poorer" section of town. As I was riding along, I heard a male voice yelling stuff that sounding like it was directed toward his daughter, shortly followed by a small girl crying.

This has been on my mind all day. I'm stressed out that my vinyl copy of Spiderland might arrive from amazon late, while there are people within 10 blocks of me who have to deal with drunken parents, might not have food every day, and are picked on because they are poor. To be honest, I think I experienced a life changing epiphany because of this.

Does anyone in the pit share my feelings?

maybe his daughter did something wrong. i also don't think you realize that you jumped to the conclusion that the father was being abusive simply because you were in a "poorer" neighborhood. rich people treat their kids like shit too, you just can't hear it because there's a really really big front lawn between you and them, and a fence.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
maybe his daughter did something wrong. i also don't think you realize that you jumped to the conclusion that the father was being abusive simply because you were in a "poorer" neighborhood. rich people treat their kids like shit too, you just can't hear it because there's a really really big front lawn between you and them, and a fence.

Because my sister is friends with girls that have to deal with stuff like that. So yeah, I jumped to conclusions, but I do know that is exists near me.
Quote by longneckdude
North Americans in general have it good. What you might consider the poorer part of town is probably ten times better off than other places. But I agree it makes our problems seem insignificant compared to what other people go through.

I would say in general you are right. But there are parts of cities in the US and even some suburbs around that might make you wish you were in Sudan. They can be VERY nasty, having lived in them.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Because my sister is friends with girls that have to deal with stuff like that. So yeah, I jumped to conclusions, but I do know that is exists near me.

you live in jersey? as in new jersey?
I'd probably be apathetic towards it. And then, after realizing that I'm not feeling what most others do/would, I'd start laughing hysterically. Not at the horrible thing that happened, but at the fact that I'm not experiencing a more emotional response. That's put me in several ackward situations.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
See, if you were to step in then you could be completely out of line. It is not your place to tell people how to raise their kids unless a blatant crime has been committed. Its like the time when I was a kid and my dad was yelling at me in COSTCO for something i did, and when this lady yelled at my dad "you need to shut your kid up" my dad replied with "sorry, he gets a little cranky after his chemotheropy!" So now i am so gonna use that line when it happens to me.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Fender Stratocaster Custom
Epiphone Les Paul Classic (w/ EMG-81)
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
I feel like that all the time.

Once you realize how easy you have it, you have to distract yourself from that fact or you'll feel guilty constantly. I forget about it, but donate and help out in areas when I can.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
You feel guilty, but there's nothing you could really do about it.

It's a terrible thing though, if I may add.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Yes.

And to anyone who doubts that America can be like a third world country, watch this.

what town, if you don't mind me asking? i personally love how people seem to believe that new brunswick is a ghetto, when they've clearly never been to trenton. i grew up in manville, which is pretty shitty, but not all that bad. apparently a lot of gangs moved in after i moved out though.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Yes.

Well there's your problem: it's ****ing Jersey. I'd rather live in Oakland and I'm one of the whitest people around in an already white area (Johnson County, KS). And really, shit like that goes on everywhere, but middle-class/rich people don't acknowledge its existence except amongst the poor.

Whoever said it first was right: you have no legal right to intervene unless a crime is being committed, especially if it was in their house. What you COULD have done was call the police (non-emergency line), explain the situation, and ask for a wellness check/child services to come out. And now you know.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by element4433
Yeah that happens to me.

This.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by jakesmellspoo
what town, if you don't mind me asking? i personally love how people seem to believe that new brunswick is a ghetto, when they've clearly never been to trenton. i grew up in manville, which is pretty shitty, but not all that bad. apparently a lot of gangs moved in after i moved out though.

Belmar. It's a small shore town. It's mostly inhabited by Mexicans and boring white people. The family in question was white if anyone cares.
Last edited by genghisgandhi at Jul 20, 2011,
Quote by jwd724
Well there's your problem: it's ****ing Jersey. I'd rather live in Oakland and I'm one of the whitest people around in an already white area (Johnson County, KS). And really, shit like that goes on everywhere, but middle-class/rich people don't acknowledge its existence except amongst the poor.

Whoever said it first was right: you have no legal right to intervene unless a crime is being committed, especially if it was in their house. What you COULD have done was call the police (non-emergency line), explain the situation, and ask for a wellness check/child services to come out. And now you know.

have you ever been to jersey? i'm not one to stand up for this shitty state, but i don't think you know what you're talking about.
Quote by element4433
Yeah that happens to me.

This. It happens to me fairly often, but then I get caught up in my own problems again and then I stop caring.

I feel bad at the moment though
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by cteez910
See, if you were to step in then you could be completely out of line. It is not your place to tell people how to raise their kids unless a blatant crime has been committed. Its like the time when I was a kid and my dad was yelling at me in COSTCO for something i did, and when this lady yelled at my dad "you need to shut your kid up" my dad replied with "sorry, he gets a little cranky after his chemotheropy!" So now i am so gonna use that line when it happens to me.
This is a very stupid attitude. Parents do NOT have the right to raise their kids however they want. Kids are human beings with rights and should be treated with a certain level of decency.
I feel you, genghisgandhi. Where I live, there are families' lives been torn apart by gangs and poverty - and here I am all bent all out of shape because I can't afford to go to private school next year.

And yes, it would be excellent song material.
Quote by guitarhero_764
Quote:
Originally Posted by cteez910

This is a very stupid attitude. Parents do NOT have the right to raise their kids however they want. Kids are human beings with rights and should be treated with a certain level of decency.

No, you cant take parents' kids away just because you dont agree with their philosophy of raising them. If you didnt agree with ferberizing kids, you wouldnt put every parents who ferberized their kid in jail or take the kid away. A CRIME has to be committed before you can do anything. Abuse is a crime, yelling at your kid is not.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Fender Stratocaster Custom
Epiphone Les Paul Classic (w/ EMG-81)
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Quote by killer puppy
then put it on the mother****ing fridge

And feel guilt whenever you're hungry/thirsty.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by cteez910
No, you cant take parents' kids away just because you dont agree with their philosophy of raising them. If you didnt agree with ferberizing kids, you wouldnt put every parents who ferberized their kid in jail or take the kid away. A CRIME has to be committed before you can do anything. Abuse is a crime, yelling at your kid is not.
Something doesn't have to be illegal to be wrong. That's a very depressing and reactionary attitude to have.
Page 1 of 2