Would a semi-hollow body guitar with no f-holes be viable for metal?
Quote by Duv
Oh, and for resonance just play unplugged and see if it's loud. And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
Last edited by willhurley82 at Jul 20, 2011,
tone wise or what casue just about any guitar van play any genre but if it will sound good for it is a different question

having said that theres probably reason people dont use hollowbodies with high gain metal
for example i tried playing my housemate's epiphone dot using high gain, screeching feedback, too much resonance, sounded crap for modern metal. Think to yourself, which metal guitarists use semi hollows for high gain purposes?
@gman: That's true, but I did not know if a hollow body without any holes in it would be similar to a chambered body guitar.

@Duv: That's what I was wondering
Quote by Duv
Oh, and for resonance just play unplugged and see if it's loud. And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
Holy cow! I thought they were chambered with several round holes opposite the volume controls
Quote by Duv
To break it down, I'm wanting to get a Carvin after I finish my guitar lessons. I was thinking the CS6 then I spotted a sh550 they have in stock, without f-holes.

I know about chambered solid bodies, but not so much about any type of hollow bodied guitar. Hence my question.
Quote by Duv
Judging from the little picture on Carvin's site:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=sh550

The no f-hole option would make it either much like or the same as a chambered. Thanks, everyone!
Quote by Duv
by that logic, you are describing a heavily chambered guitar - like the first les paul posted. The resonance should improve, and obviously the guitar will be lighter, but in terms of tone expect a brighter tone than than equivalent solidbody.

Tell you what I'll go back on my earlier statement about metal guitarists not using semi hollows. Look up Emil Werstler from Daath. He uses a prs custom22 or 24, semi hollow, with f holes, and has it fitted w/ medium output pickups. Nice, unique almost bango like lead tone, but in a very metal context. that's the kind of tone you should expect
I'm on it! +1 to Duv and gman!
Quote by Duv
I don't know your budget, but you could look at the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II. That is chambered and even has an acoustic pick-up just above the neck pick-up.

It seems to be one of the better Epiphone LP's, but I haven't tried one myself, so don't take my word for it.
Quote by Guitbuilder
B.B. King's Gibson ES-345 "Lucille" has no f holes.

And who's more metal than B.B. King?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Minimum92
I don't know your budget, but you could look at the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II. That is chambered and even has an acoustic pick-up just above the neck pick-up.

It seems to be one of the better Epiphone LP's, but I haven't tried one myself, so don't take my word for it.

Budget would be $1500 US, ideally. BUT, I know that I'll stretch it up to $2,000 US, for a custom guitar.
Quote by Duv
Quote by gman128
for example i tried playing my housemate's epiphone dot using high gain, screeching feedback, too much resonance, sounded crap for modern metal. Think to yourself, which metal guitarists use semi hollows for high gain purposes?

jeez almost everything you've said in this thread is so wrong I don't even know which to quote but this one seems fine.

emil uses a prs hollowbody spruce as his main guitar.

it's not a semi hollow. it's a hollowbody.

you can play a hollowbody or a semi hollow with as much gain as you want.

you just have to know what the hell you're doing.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer

This is Pepper Keenan. That is an ES-335. He is more metal than you will ever be.

/thread
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by AcousticMirror
jeez almost everything you've said in this thread is so wrong I don't even know which to quote but this one seems fine.

emil uses a prs hollowbody spruce as his main guitar.

it's not a semi hollow. it's a hollowbody.

you can play a hollowbody or a semi hollow with as much gain as you want.

you just have to know what the hell you're doing.

+1. Little things like not standing right in front of your amp, and knowing how to manipulate your guitar's volume control will help you eliminate the feedback.

Tim Armstrong, even though he's not metal, uses Gretsch hollowbodies for his stuff which is pretty high gain.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
While the Foo Fighters aren't metal, Dave uses his signature model Gibson DG-335 and puts out some fairly aggressive sounds... no?
Quote by gman128

Well, I don't know if Thursday counts as metal, but they do some pretty high-gain stuff. Steve Pedulla, one of their guitarists, uses a 335 on some songs.

Similarly, Mike Eizinger of Incubus used to use a PRS Hollowbody for fairly heavy sounds.

I think the guy from Three Days Grace uses a 335 too.

And, like roxshox said, there's always Dave Grohl. The Foos' lead guitarist Chris Shiflett plays 335s sometimes too.

I find my ES-137 is a really good guitar for high-gain. If you're not right next to a cranked amp you shouldn't have any feedback problems with a semi-hollow. Full-hollow, yes, but semi-hollow, probably not.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Last edited by sonic_777111 at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by FatalGear41
And who's more metal than B.B. King?

just because it's a BB king signature doesn't mean you can't use it for metal
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks