Hello UG,
Here's my situations: I'm on the market for a small tube amp (since I got hired ), and I really need it to have a power soak, preferably 1 or 2 watts. The reason for this being that I live with my family, and my electric guitar is collecting dust because I can't crank my 10 watts laney, so no power tube distortion for me .

I play many genres, I like clean stuffs and funky licks, but most things I play are mid gain; Blues, Blues-rock/Classic rock/Hard-rock, Grunge/Post-Grunge... I don't really play metal, except some RATM if that counts.
The heaviest thing I'd like to be able to play would be stoner rock (but that will mainly be taken care of with my Big muff, isn't it ?).

Since I live in Switzerland, the swiss franc is so strong, it is HIGHLY profitable for me to buy online, so I was thinking to buy at Thoman.
My budget is ~750 euros (~1000$), including the head and at least a 1x12" cab, of course cheaper is prefered.

So my first option would be a HUGHES&KETTNER TUBEMEISTER, which has all the features I need. http://www.thomann.de/fr/hugheskettner_tubemeister_18_head.htm
BUT, except a review on musicradar there isn't much on this amp, and it seems to be out of stock for a while.

my second option, which seems equally good would be the ENGL Gigmaster. http://www.thomann.de/fr/engl_e315_gigmaster_head.htm
I've seen a few reviews and that thing seems to be great, although the cleans aren't fantastic, they still seem decent, and it gets great overdrives and tube distortion. BUT I was told it's suspected to be a hybrid in the pre-amp section.
So here's my question: Is it ? and can you tell a difference as far as sound goes ? because from the videos I've seen, I can't...

Another option would be the Hayden Mofo, and the Egnater rebel 20 (but this one is the most expensive, would leave me only ~180€ for the cab).

Also, could you recommend me a 12" cab ? The ones from ENGL and Hughes and Kettner seem pretty damn expensive.

TLDR: Low wattage amp, with 1 or 2 watts power soak switch, and effect loop. 2 Channels are a plus. And I also need a 12" cab

Edit: Also, I'm not in that much of a hurry, I have until august to decide, and test some of these, IF I can find them (which really ain't sure).
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Last edited by Doogy-Style at Jul 20, 2011,
Huh??

Any of those amps would be louder or as loud as your Laney 10 watter.

Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Huh??

He wants cranked power tube tone but at family safe volumes, keeping it quiet is the issue here.
Quote by ragingkitty
Huh??

That's why I need an amp with a 1 watt mode, so I can crank it to get powertube distortion without bothering all my family...

And my other problem is that the laney has allmost 0 preamp gain.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Quote by ragingkitty
Huh??

think of powersoak as an inbuilt attenuator, they can be switched down to 0/1/5 watts and so are suitable for him :}
But does anybody here have any experience with the amps I've listed, or have In mind another amp that would be suitable? Although I know that there's probably nobody who has tried the first one.

Sofar I've mainly had explainations about why I was thinking about these amps...

Thanks in advance guys .
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Quote by mishax92
He wants cranked power tube tone but at family safe volumes, keeping it quiet is the issue here.

Quote by funeralllllllll
think of powersoak as an inbuilt attenuator, they can be switched down to 0/1/5 watts and so are suitable for him :}

The only amp that has a power soak is the gigmaster and the h&k. So I don't see how all of them are comparable.

Before you try to school someone review all the facts.

The Mofo does not have an attenuator / power soak and is 15 watts. The rebel does not have an attenuator and is 20 watts, when you turn the power scaling down what it does is effective starve power to the power tube, creating less headroom... you get early clipping but not that pushed tube sound with the harmonics.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
The mofo does have an attenuator (called stealth mode, which is basically a 2 watt mode) http://haydenmofo.com/en/products/3/mofo-30-head/

and so does the rebel 20 which has "variable wattage from 1 to 20 watts"...http://www.thomann.de/fr/egnater_rebel20.htm

I did my homework .

And the one watt mode I've heard from the ENGL on some videos sounded pretty decent, and anyway, a powersoak is my only option. (check this video from 9 minute and further: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh3tt0XK0VQ)

Now if anyone could answer my question, that would make me very happy .
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Quote by Doogy-Style
The mofo does have an attenuator (called stealth mode, which is basically a 2 watt mode) http://haydenmofo.com/en/products/3/mofo-30-head/

Hmm I missed that one there, thought you were referring to the 15

Again I mention the Rebel's variable wattage is NOT an attenuator. It gives you lower headroom but not that soft clipping sound
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Check the video I've just added while editing my post after 9 minutes... anyway it might not be optimal, but I've considered all the options, and I really can't hope for more. I neeed to change the laney anyway...
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
The MoFo's stealth mode is still loud as hell. When I tested one I pressed the switch expecting it to get quieter and the volume jumped up. However the MoFo is real nice amp. Recommended.

Edit. Take a look at Matamp's mini series they've just released.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Jul 20, 2011,
Does the Laney 12R have a 1watt input?

Even 1 watt is too loud to crank at bedroom volumes.

Become a hermit and live in the forest.

Or like ben reccoemended get one of the new Minimats 3Gs or mini pro.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jul 20, 2011,
Well the thing is that I can play relatively loud for what you would call a house use since I live in a 400 square meters house, with no nieghbours really close.

But with mainly openspaces, 10 watts is still pretty damn loud, so I hope 1 will do when my family is at home.

Btw, which amp do you think would fit the genres I've listed best ?

Also the matamp is probably great, but I'm having trouble to find sites where they ship them, and they would probably be over my budget isn't it ?
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Matamp does everything from blues to doom metal.

The new matamp mini rock is a Matamp GT4.

(Invalid img)

Made for stoner stuff. Apparently it doesnt really do clean though. And it doesnt look that awesome anymore. No attenuator either.

So you might be better off with the 3g or the mini pro.

You can buy them on eBay UK, but you might have to get in touch with Matamp directly. Theyre all about the £400 mark (500 or so euros).
Last edited by beckyjc at Jul 20, 2011,
ahh I just a watched a video of the second generation of minimat, and while they seem to do awesome overdriven stuff, they don't really clean up indeed... I guess I'll have to put one of those in my "to buy list" once I get a better salary.
Too bad, it seems that it's a kickass amp.

Anyone else here has some input for me ? Maybe about the ENGL ? or the H&k ? or some other idea ?

thank you all.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
does it ? because I just checked a video from premier guitar of the minimat 2, and the tester tells it's pretty bad at clean sounds...
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
the blackstar ht-1....its a 1 watt head...
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Im just going off what matamp have said about the NEW minimat. Theyve given it a bit more headroom.

The third incarnation, of the first amp to offer big amp performance in a compact package the groundbreaking Minimat 1 and 2 the legacy continues.

The all rounder in the range lets you dial up a clean tone and then hit the footswitch to access a variable overdrive boost, all kept under control with the onboard attenuator.

Once again featuring the Class A 6V6 output stage paired with two ECC83 preamp valves, you get all the warmth and punch you could ever want. If youre recording or playing at home its possible the Minimat 3G could be the only amp youll need.

With a little more clean headroom and a dollop of extra gain the 3G has significant other benefits over the previous Minimat 1 and 2. Theres a variable line out together with an onboard dummy load so you can send the output of the amp to a bigger amp for gigging or to a speaker emulator for recording. The signal is taken from the output transformer so all of the tone in the amp is preserved.

The 3G, the versatile choice from the Minimat range.

As far as i know there are no clips or demos of the new ones though. Let me know if you spot any.