Hey,

I have been playing guitar for 2 years, and anywhere I go, I see: Rock, Metal, and these stuff... I was just wondering that is it a problem if I am really not into any of these styles? I just can't bear when they run through scales very technically without making any melody with 63247234 bpm speed (cause basically this is what metal means for me, from what I have heard..., yea you can hate me for it). Also, I went to a guitar teacher the other day and I got laughed at because I didnt know who John Petrucci was. I also fear that I would get laughed at when playing the music I like (I like some rock songs though, but these are usually like AC/DC or these old, original ones, which sound good). I am also into Tommy Emmanuel stuff. My question would be here, is this a problem? Cause I want to learn how to improvise and those stuff, but I just cant see how, because everyone around me immediately thinks of metal and rock when I ask them about soloing / improvising stuff. I dont really know what I should learn either... Help please
1 - it's not a problem at all, quite the opposite in fact. When it comes to making music an understanding and appreciation of melody is the most important thing, speed isn't.

2 - that teacher is a prick
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Definitely not a problem, it's actually a good thing. Try listening to BB King or some old blues guitarists and then you'll get a real feel for improvising
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Well Tommy Emmanuel should immediately humble most players. He's a wizard.

There's nothing wrong with what you like. I like the same thing. Be who you are without apology.

What are your needs/goals in music, and I can better advise you. You say you have a guitar teacher now? What's he going to be teaching you?

Best,

Sean

Quote by kiraly5
Hey,

I have been playing guitar for 2 years, and anywhere I go, I see: Rock, Metal, and these stuff... I was just wondering that is it a problem if I am really not into any of these styles? I just can't bear when they run through scales very technically without making any melody with 63247234 bpm speed (cause basically this is what metal means for me, from what I have heard..., yea you can hate me for it). Also, I went to a guitar teacher the other day and I got laughed at because I didnt know who John Petrucci was. I also fear that I would get laughed at when playing the music I like (I like some rock songs though, but these are usually like AC/DC or these old, original ones, which sound good). I am also into Tommy Emmanuel stuff. My question would be here, is this a problem? Cause I want to learn how to improvise and those stuff, but I just cant see how, because everyone around me immediately thinks of metal and rock when I ask them about soloing / improvising stuff. I dont really know what I should learn either... Help please
You like what you like. I don't like acoustic guitar and mainly care about shred. If when I started out I had got a teacher and they said "No shred son, only acoustic" I wouldn't have gone back. Play what you want to play.
John Petrucci is good, however i would laugh at you for liking AC/DC.

I agree with Sean0913 listen to some blues biot of king, moore or try a backing track on youtube whilst running through some pentatonics.
Originally Posted by jazar94
Oh God, anal masturbation with a banana.
Wait...
**** YEAH! ANAL MASTURBATION WITH A BANANA!

Quote by Silent Murder
This man knows his cleaning essentials.

It'll smell nice afterwards too
Nothing wrong with Emmanuel or AC/DC. Get stuck into that stuff. Pub Rock was very popular because of the driving beat, there's nothing like it.
My main instrument is classical guitar and the last time I listened to classical music of any sort was...uhm...I can't remember because I'm a metalhead
And I didn't know who John Petrucci, Joe Satriani or Steve Vai really were until my friend lent me the 2005 G3 this dvd this month and I've been playing for like 5/6 years.

You like what you like and stick with it and playing in genres that you don't really listen to is great because it can widen your perspective - a personal example: I didn't like jazz at all until I started playing guitar for the school jazz band, now i LOVE JAZZ! And anyone who laughs at you because you don't know something that they know is a total douchebag imo.
I'm a fingerstyle guitarist (also classical and metal guitarist, but mainly fingerstyle) that's into Tommy Emmanuel, Ewan Dobson and other candyrat guys as well. But I find that most people who play that genre (Tommy and Chet Atkins fingerstyle) not likes metal or such stuff so much. Those people are usally into like blues and jazz, so I guess that's the field you want to learn to improvise in. Search for Joe Robinson and look for a video where he explains his pracice routines, he's mostly selfthaught via youtube
There doesn't need to be such a schism about liking acoustic or metal and not the other.. take whatever benefits you as a musician from whatever music you hear. Do I care for top 40 radio, no, not so much, but the songwriters are masters of identifying trends in music and creating catchy, infectious hooks that stick in your head. I was a huge metalhead for years and although I don't listen to it so much these days, the technical prowess those guys posess is pretty inspiring still. People classify themselves so much ("I basically just like shred", etc.) but honestly, most of the people on here are still so young. There was a time that I thought that metal was all I'd listen to for the rest of my days.. how wrong I was.

Listen to as much music as you can, and try and find something useful or interesting in everything you hear. There's no sense pigeonholing yourself or your musical interests, especially in the earlier years of learning an instrument. Listen to metal til you're blue in the face if you want, but don't discredit the things that other styles of music have to offer. I'm grateful for my metal background, because when I ultimately burned out on trying to play it all the time and started learning jazz and rock stuff with more diligence, I already possessed the capability to play fast and difficult parts. I started listening to reggae and motown, oldies, classic rock.. before you know it, you have a basic understanding of groove, melody, 'song'..

I'm not one to discredit metal as being too wanky or acoustic music as too boring, and you're obviously going to listen to what you want to listen to. But whatever that is now may change in a year or five, and believe when I say you'll be glad then to be a more well-rounded guitarist for having absorbed musical knowledge from different sources in years past. Would you rather sound like metalgtar300 on youtube, who can rip up Yngwie solos but has an awful tone and zero musical understanding outside that one specific context, or someone like Steve Vai or Guthrie Govan who put the hours into technical study but have exposed themselves to all types of music and approach everything as a student willing to learn?
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Here's a little something, Dont give a **** what other people think about your taste. If they dont like it well they can go get ass raped by a monkey for all you care. I love metal but I dont sweep pick or do dive bombs. Does that make me a worse guitarist? Not really because I do my own thing. Play an instrument is like letting your soul do the talking. Do your thing and dont let anybody tell you its wrong. Nothing is a problem unless you let it be.
To be honest, I dont really know what I want, because I listen to music that gets me umm... Excited. Yea, thats the word for it really, I get this excitement when I listen to it. In the past 2 years, I found that only from Tommy's music could I get this feeling. Thing is, that I dont like any other artist that much, only maybe 1-2 songs from them, the others not too much. I listened to BB king, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and many other guitarists too, but as I said, I dont get excitement from that music. All I can tell is that what they do is incredible techniqually, or tone-wise, but I just cant get a feel for the song or music itself. Not sure if you guys get what I am saying
You're just going through a phase, we all went through that. When I started out I wanted to be the next Jimmy Page but now im a hard core blues man. Just open up to different types of guitar like flamenco and Mississippi delta blues. I never would have thought I would love this old and sloppy playing but it just takes my breath away.