Heya all!

I've decided it's time that I buy my own singing gear, but I don't know what I should buy.

I'm gonna be performing live with it, not studio.

All I have is speakers. What do I need, apart from a mic?
I'm shopping at www.thomann.de and I considered buying this one: http://www.thomann.de/dk/beyerdynamic_tg_v30ds.htm

Thanks everybody!
GEAR:

EPIPHONE LES PAUL GOTH

ROLAND CUBE 30x

Digitech Death Metal Distortion

Rock on!
depends a lot on what style you are performing really?

if you're going for death metal the first thing you'll want is compression and then reverb
For mics, the Shure SM58 or Beta58s are the staples of the music industry. Nearly every live performance you see of any genre will feature one or both of these mics. However there are other great mics out there, including the Sennheisser range, I believe the 835 is pretty popular.

Ontop of that you need:

- A mic stand
- Mic lead
- If your speakers are passive, they need a powered mixer, or a mixer and amp separate
- If your speakers are active, they need a mixer
- Speaker leads

That's an extremely basic PA setup. Once you start looking into it further you can spend thousands and thousands of dollars improving your setup.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by funeralllllllll
depends a lot on what style you are performing really?

We vary from Eric Clapton, Joe Bonamassa to Metallica, Rammstein.
GEAR:

EPIPHONE LES PAUL GOTH

ROLAND CUBE 30x

Rock on!
Quote by funeralllllllll

if you're going for death metal the first thing you'll want is compression and then reverb

Instead of an amp and speaker cables?
Soundcloud
Quote by funeralllllllll
i kinda think that was obvious enough? ^_^

Not from the way you're answering. What reverb and compression systems would you recommend?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Not from the way you're answering. What reverb and compression systems would you recommend?

The styles of the artists he listed don't really require compression in the end. I made an assumption based on the gear listed in his signature. What's the matter?
Quote by funeralllllllll
The styles of the artists he listed don't really require compression in the end. I made an assumption based on the gear listed in his signature. What's the matter?

Dude, all artists in all genres use compression and reverb to some extent, although compression is more prevalent in the studio. But TS here is asking about what he needs for singing live, and you're suggesting a reverb and compression units. So I'm asking you "which ones do you suggest"?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Dude, all artists in all genres use compression and reverb to some extent, although compression is more prevalent in the studio. But TS here is asking about what he needs for singing live, and you're suggesting a reverb and compression units. So I'm asking you "which ones do you suggest"?

To some extent yes, been using a beta 87a and tc helicon voicelive 2 lately personally.
But that's probably quite expensive for someone who you figure can't even work out that he needs cables isn't it.
Tthunbo - why do you want to buy your own singing gear?

The reason I ask is that, for gigging, most venues will provide a PA. If they don't, then you might want another kind of PA that you can use for vocals AND your band. This depends, too, on what kind of venues you are playing. Maybe just a small vocal PA will be adequate.

If it is for rehearsals, probably a small vocal PA would be just fine.

In any case - even if the venue supplies the PA for your gigs, I like to bring my own mic. My mic of choice is the Sennheiser e835. I like it MUCH better than the Shure SM58.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Tthunbo - why do you want to buy your own singing gear?

If it is for rehearsals, probably a small vocal PA would be just fine.

In any case - even if the venue supplies the PA for your gigs, I like to bring my own mic. My mic of choice is the Sennheiser e835. I like it MUCH better than the Shure SM58.

CT

Sorry about the late answer.

We're gonna start with the rehersal setup then.

I have a budget of ~2000 DKK (268 EUR).
Suppose I need a PA, mic and cables? Could you help me out at www.Thomann.de ?
EDIT: THE MIC MUST BE CARDIOID

Thanks in advance

//Tthunbo
GEAR:

EPIPHONE LES PAUL GOTH

ROLAND CUBE 30x

Rock on!
Last edited by Tthunbo at Jul 27, 2011,
Quote by axemanchris
My mic of choice is the Sennheiser e835. I like it MUCH better than the Shure SM58.

I know you do honey

I do think around that price point it really becomes a personal preference. I thought the Beta 58 had more detail, and the 835 a warm, natural sound. Ideally I'd buy both, but went with the Beta 58.

But TS the last thing you want is a crappy mic, if you can I'd save a bit more for something that will service you well like the suggested. Also try second hand gear - there's a lot of it around.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I know you do honey
Also try second hand gear - there's a lot of it around.

Well, in that case, could you recommend some labels for each of the products? (Mic, PA, cable).

Thanks in advance
//Tthunbo
GEAR:

EPIPHONE LES PAUL GOTH

ROLAND CUBE 30x

Rock on!
Yeah, for PA gear... that stuff is always around used.

Mics: Shure, Sennheiser, EV
Speakers/amps - EV, Yorkville (sometimes badged as "Elite"), Peavey, Yamaha, JBL

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
The "PA" gear, would that be an amplifier or a compressor or a mixer?

I found these links and I'd like you to judge from the looks of it, if you do not understand the language (danish).

http://www.dba.dk/rumklang--effektprocessor/id-76056719/ - Reverb/Effectprocessor
http://www.dba.dk/mixer-soundcraft-aeldre-mi/id-75772010/ - Mixer
http://www.dba.dk/mixer-gem-racktop-18-har/id-76056690/ - Mixer

if I'm totally wrong, could you find an example of what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance.

//Tthunbo
GEAR:

EPIPHONE LES PAUL GOTH

ROLAND CUBE 30x

Rock on!