Poll: what do you like better
Poll Options
View poll results: what do you like better
Original album
9 56%
Remastered album
7 44%
Voters: 16.
the remaster for Rust in Peace sounds like shit. Why ruin classic albums and remaster it?

It's harder to find the original recording than the remastered one
Last edited by musicandthewave at Jul 20, 2011,
Remastering if done correctly is great. If not, it's bad.
Same as mastering for the original.
RIP Gooze

cats
pshhh...I prefer remasters usually, "Oh no I can hear bass audible and everything is closer to todays production value NOOOOO"
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Sometimes bands couldn't afford a good studio when it was recorded so they remaster it later when they're able to.

Some albums need it, others don't.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If the remastering is done tastefully and well, then I don't mind it. I really like Modest Mouse's The Moon and Antarctica remasters compared to the original, but I'm not a huge fan of some of the Beatles' remasters.

A lot of the time it just involves too much compression and removing the space/warmth from the original recording. Like, if someone remastered Wilco's A Ghost Is Born according to modern pop remastering standards, I would be outraged. The dynamics in that album are amazing and a modern remastering would probably minimize them way too much.
Quote by BenRaah
money

Bingo. Why make new material when you can make new money on what you already did once?
Original.

I like to listen to an album the way it was supposed to sound, badly mixed or not.
"Don't fix it if it isn't broken" is a stupid saying. You can't have progress if you don't try to improve things. Sometimes you don't realize something was broken until it's fixed. I sure do like progress, don't you?
Quote by Duffman123
Original.

I like to listen to an album the way it was supposed to sound, badly mixed or not.

How do you know how it was supposed to sound? Maybe they couldn't get it the way they wanted it at the time, and the remaster does the song better justice...
Quote by Duffman123
Original.

What if the band had the album remastered because they were unhappy at how the original was mastered? Would you still like the original more?

EDIT: Ninja'd
Quote by musicandthewave
the remaster for Rust in Peace sounds like shit. Why ruin classic albums and remaster it?

It's harder to find the original recording than the remastered one

I agree, but the 25th Anniversary release of Peace Sells is REALLY GOOD. It actually used the master tapes, and it's not mixed by Mustaine, check it out if you can.
I sometimes can't tell the difference between originals and remastered
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Music isn't all about sound quality, remastering an album can completely ruin the vibe of the original album.

I love the fact Original Pirate Material was recorded in Mike Skinner's bedroom using shitty equipment and that Selected Ambient Works 85–92 was recorded on cassette.
Last edited by Duffman123 at Jul 20, 2011,