I want to record the two SM57s micing my amp, AND at the same time, record through a Line 6 POD into my computer. But so far as I can tell, my DAW (Guitar Tracks Pro 4 by Cakewalk) will only record through my interface (which I'm running the SM57s through) OR the line in on my computer, but not both at the same time.

Is there any way I can record through my interface and the line in at the same time?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
You can get a mix table where you would connect the POD and the microphones, the you would connect the "outs" of the table to the interface. Just remeber that if you go this way all the instruments will be on a single track.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
Why not just double the guitar tracks and pan it:

L - Pod for guitar 1, Mic for guitar 2
R - Pod for guitar 2, Mic for guitar 1

...or some variation like that. Slight differences in the performance will bring out more detail in the sound.

Working within limitations can force you to be more creative, which is never a bad thing.

Alternately you could wire the mics in series, which of course means you'd have to sacrifice a mic cable. This will effectively mix the two SM57's at equal volume, so you can have one positioned differently.

Wiring two mics in series:

Take an XLR (mic) cable and remove the male end. This is the end that plugs into your mic preamp.

- the male end has metal posts sticking out. Male. Think about it... (this is a family website, so don't think too hard about it... oops, I said hard, sorry...)

Now take that bare wire and deconstruct the female end of another mic cable. Unsolder pin 1. The wire leading from pin 2, mic 1 will be soldered onto pin 1 of mic 2.

Pin 2 of mic 1 is now electrically connected to Pin 1 of mic 2.

The wire leading from Pin 1, Mic 1 needs to be twisted together with the wire leading to Pin 1 on the Male side leading to the mic input. An electrician's wire cap should work fine, although ideally you would have a solid wire without any splicing involved. That's tough to do - requires a bit more time and effort. It would make a small difference in your volume level and sound quality (perhaps worth fussing with later on if you're looking to improve the sound.)

If you find this confusing (which I do!) then google "series wiring" and find a good schematic.

Like this one: http://www.electrical-design-tutor.com/images/series.gif

It's light bulbs and stuff, but the theory is the same. Pin 1 and 2 are + and -, pin 3 is ground.

Basically a single mic has two pins that transmit the signal, pin 1 and pin 2. Pin 1 of mic 1 will be connected to the MALE end of the mic cable that connects to the mic input. Pin 2 of mic 2 will also be connected to the male end of that cable. In a series circuit pin 2 of mic 1 is connected to pin 1 of mic 2.

Now electrically they are a single mic. The more mics you have in series the higher the signal amplitude gets, so you'll get distortion more easily. This is exactly like batteries in a flashlight. The more batteries you stack on top of each other: +/-/+/-/+/-... the brighter the flash light gets. Mics GENERATE electricity, so the signal increases. Exactly the same physical process (with one minor difference being a flashlight with batteries is DC and a mic produces AC current. For our purposes it doesn't matter.)

Since you're using dynamic mics this shouldn't be a problem as dynamic mics produce a VERY weak signal anyway.

You're guitar will be louder, which is always bad, right.

This will be impossible without a soldering iron, though. I'd suggest picking one up anyway if you don't have one, and a volt meter. Anyone with an electric guitar should have both of those basic tools.

This is a low-cost solution that could provide you with some interesting results. In theory there is NOTHING about it that is unprofessional, assuming it's done properly. It's not ideal or industry standard, but could be made to work very well...

The "volume" of each mic depends on the distance from the source, and other factors like position and so on. Since the signals will be combined time will be a factor, so positioning might be a bit tricky for you - meaning I would expect interesting artifacts from wave cancellation and summation. This could be good! ..or bad.

The only thing I can tell you is to play with it.

Good luck!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Last edited by Bubonic Chronic at Jul 20, 2011,