So as the title states I'm quite pissed off with the constant breaking of strings. Mainly the low E and A strings. I'm playing an ESP LTD DJ600

Am I using the wrong gauge of strings? I mainly play in Drop C, currently using 10s.

The string doesn't literally snap completely, it kind of unwinds at the bridge.

What possible soloutions do I have?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
was your floyd set up for drop c? you should get thicker strings for drop c i use 11s on my esp and they feel like noodles probably cause my schecter has 13s in standard...
Quote by CBD
thicker strings would help
Thicker gauge would tune up better but they might make the problem worse since they would have more tension on them, cowboy.

There is a sharp spot on your saddle. Find it and smooth it out.
Yes it is set up up for Drop C, I'll try it with 11s to see if it makes a difference..
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Thicker strings will actually make the problem worse.

It sounds like you're not clamping the string down tight enough. The core wire is slipping out but the wraps are staying in place. Out of curiosity, are you using DR strings?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by BobDetroit

There is a sharp spot on your saddle. Find it and smooth it out.

+1

it definitely sounds like there is a burr in the saddle. It may even be a sharp edge on the end of the screw.

just take a small file and smooth up all the contact surfaces.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
This happened to me twice on my FR on my Agile. My low B would basically come unwound in the saddle. It only happened while I was in drop G# tuning though, with a 64 for my G#.. It was just too thick a string for it. Next time I tune to that I'll need to use a 62..

Now i have a 10-59 7 set on in standard 7 tuning. Hasn't happened since.
I find the only people who break lots of strings also have big dicks, so maybe this is not a such bad thing .
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
this was happening frequently with my jackson, so i replaced the blocks inside the floyd held down by the screw because the surfaces were rough. problem solved
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
Quote by Adam124
So as the title states I'm quite pissed off with the constant breaking of strings. Mainly the low E and A strings. I'm playing an ESP LTD DJ600

Am I using the wrong gauge of strings? I mainly play in Drop C, currently using 10s.

The string doesn't literally snap completely, it kind of unwinds at the bridge.

What possible soloutions do I have?

Two things

1) A six string Floyd was never intended to be tuned to drop C. The setup if you can even get it "right" will be IMHO it will be pretty much crap.

It will make the trem just this side of impossible to use. It won't return to zero properly snap strings like you're suffering etc...

Just my 2¢ get buy a 7 string the longer scale will give you better tone tuned to drop C. You didn't state if actually need a trem or not?

You can get a halfway decent 7 string for around $500-600 US with a stop tail piece. Figure twice that for one with a locking trem.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
^That's completely wrong, the Floyd wasn't designed for a certain tuning in mind. You can put them into whatever tuning you please as long as you adjust the spring tension accordingly. I've had my LFR in my Razorback tuned to Drop C for a long time now, and the Kimaxe's OFR is tuned to D Standard. A floating trem works off a very simple concept in physics (torque), it's not magical.

You might try replacing the blocks, they're pretty cheap and usually improve the trem's function if the original blocks are older and worn.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Way Cool JR.
It sounds to me that you are not cutting enough string off at the ball end and also not putting it in the saddle far enough. When you cut off the ball you have to cut off enough string (about 1/2 inch or more) for it is all one diameter. You can see how the string is thicker towards the ball then gets thinner, you want to cut that all off or your string won't clamp right. It will only clamp mostly the end of the string making it unravel and pull out, with it done right it will clamp the whole piece of string in the block.

Also you want to back your block screw out enough to make sure you get your string to bottom out in the hole before you clamp it. As long as your blocks aren't worn out and you tighten it up right they will not slip out.

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't realise anyone else posted. Yes I cut enough string at the ball end and to my knowledge, yes the string reaches the very bottom of the saddle before I clamp it.

My thinking is that it's either the clamp blocks are worn. I've had a few cases when changing strings, mainly the thicker ones that they would slip out once or twice before it actually works. So maybe that's something to look into. Any idea where to buy saddle blocks?

I'll also try and find a file to see if there's any sharp edges on the saddle.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal