For quite a while i have not been a fan of these things. I found them too fiddly, and too broad minded to actually be any good and especially didnt think that they would be as good as a real valve amp.

However, the new Axe FX 2 has really gotten me thinking about it properly and well now I want one

The main attraction is that it is simply effortless to use in a studio situation. Having just finished (and somehow passed ) my first year of being a music technology student the following years are going to be heavily studio based and as I aim to be making my own music (djenty/shred/rock stuff) and record others the ability to just plug this thing into an interface and have complete control over everything without the hassle of excess noise and having to carry around 4x12s and heads sounds like the perfect situation.

There is one problem.....

I currently own 3 amps which i use all the time. A 2 channel Dual Rectifier, a 3 Channel Dual Rectifier, and a Jet City JCA20H. At university its safe to say that only one of these amps will be with me, thus leaving me with a versatility problem so having the axe fx would be an better option. But its a cash issue, i would have to sell at least one of my current amps to get the cash together and i really need to know if the axe fx is the best option for my situation.

Anyone who has got one or has extensive use with one, especially in a live and studio environment please help me out here!!!! Also what are the views on the normal Axe Fx?? they will be considerably cheaper used now that the 2 is coming out so if there isn't much difference i could go for one of those

Cheers for any help you guys can offer

Ed
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
But, theres no t00bz in axe fx.
I'd just get a modeler (Fender Mustang. Vox VT) or get an audio interface and buy amplitube/guitar rig. Its overkill buying that setup for uni, id rather have the real thing in the studio any day. And im sure if your uni specializes in IT and music, they must have a few decent amps.
Buy an interface, torrent good amp software.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by beckyjc
But, theres no t00bz in axe fx.
I'd just get a modeler (Fender Mustang. Vox VT) or get an audio interface and buy amplitube/guitar rig. Its overkill buying that setup for uni, id rather have the real thing in the studio any day. And im sure if your uni specializes in IT and music, they must have a few decent amps.

the only amp they have is a Fender Frontman.....

they have a couple of Behringer pre-amps but theyre complete crap
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
My college has better amps than that. :/
What are the recording facilities like?

Try out some software, see if it does the job, the new custom shop amplitube has some great sounds.
Quote by theknuckster
ElevenRack!
The Mesa models on these are quite good, they come with a version of Pro-Tools, they they cost about 1/3 the price of an AXE II and if you decide you really don't like it I'm sure you would have no trouble selling it. Don't dump all your amps just yet but you have to be a pretty damn good recording engineer with a studio full of gear to get better tones than you'll get of of this.
I really like the axe fx (one). My friend used his live a number of times but mostly uses it for exactly the reason you specified: ease of recording. The quality he pulls out of it is amazing. We were jamming one day and deciding to get the exact tone from it as his mesa roadster. The built in amp model and some eq tweaking pretty much cloned the tone. Maybe 90%. To get the extra 10, we threw am EQ in the signal chain and it sounded perfect.

Megadeth use axefx's live exclusively, so you could check out some videos of that.

If you are buying it strictly for a quiet amp, that is probably a mistake, but if you plan on recording live and playing with it, its not a bad idea. I haven't had any experience with the axefx 2 though, but I would assume its better.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
or sell off one of your dual recs (id say the 3ch version) which will give you 1000-1300$ towards the axe and save up the rest of it.
Quote by theknuckster
ElevenRack!

I think lamb of god used this during the recording of sacrement.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Your going to be waiting about 6 months for an Axe Fx II, theirs a long waiting list in Europe. The first gen Axe Fx is incredible, a lot of bands use it for studio and live work. Its also still the top modeler around after the Axe II and you should be able to get one for a good price off ebay/craigslist etc.
Quote by Seanthesheep
or sell off one of your dual recs (id say the 3ch version) which will give you 1000-1300$ towards the axe and save up the rest of it.

in the UK so probably £1300 which is deffo a nice little figure but would only really get me a used Axe Fx 1. from the sounds of things tho that isnt exactly a bad thing
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Dont do it.

Just dont.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Dont do it.

Just dont.

pourquoi??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
For all your after you could buy a Pod 500 and that would be more than what you need.

Get all the features you want and keep your good amps which I promise you, you will miss when you sell them for an Axe. The Axe just lacks any personality and your real Mesas are impossible to replicate. For uni work you do not need professional quality gear, just the ability to apply the correct recording techniques, something which using an Axe, I would imagine would negate this?

I know you have a very lucky set of circumstances, but even for you an Axe is overkill/waste of money.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Periphery use Axe FX Units in the studio and Live for all their tones don't they?
It's the best way to do Djent if that's your thing?
Quote by Tom 1.0
For all your after you could buy a Pod 500 and that would be more than what you need.

Get all the features you want and keep your good amps which I promise you, you will miss when you sell them for an Axe. The Axe just lacks any personality and your real Mesas are impossible to replicate. For uni work you do not need professional quality gear, just the ability to apply the correct recording techniques, something which using an Axe, I would imagine would negate this?

I know you have a very lucky set of circumstances, but even for you an Axe is overkill/waste of money.

+1

I would probably take the POD 500 and save the cash. For what I use a modeler for the Axefx would be overkill. It would never replace a real amp in my live rig and that's where a majority of my time is spent playing.
Quote by shredftw
For quite a while i have not been a fan of these things. I found them too fiddly, and too broad minded to actually be any good and especially didnt think that they would be as good as a real valve amp.

However, the new Axe FX 2 has really gotten me thinking about it properly and well now I want one

The main attraction is that it is simply effortless to use in a studio situation.

Ed

sure why not?

sell the amp you like/use least and grab a used first gen cheap. that way if you don't like it you can flip it at minimal loss. (that's probably what i'd do in your shoes but ymmv.)

or wait for the new one and bite the belt if it hurts.

or go cheap and get a pod and maybe not have to sell anything off.

that probably didn't help huh?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
that virus of having a axe fx 2 died by itself when i saw the price and the waiting list for it . maybe later but for now i think the digidesign eleven rack could be a great solution for me .

i wish i had the axe fx 2 but now theyre sold everywhere and the only seller who sell them on ebay ask 3500 $ .

ill just get the eleven rack and should do the job for me .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim