I play metal, for the most part and yeah...
also if anybody has suggestions that'd be great!
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
I used to have a Valveking, i dont know much about the JCA. Ill tell you my experiences with the VK. I think it would be a good step up amp but it gets very muddy at high gain. It's very open to modifications. I sold mine after a year and a bit to get a Marshall DSL, so from my point of view i would wait to get a bit more cash and buy something better that will last you longer.

EDIT: Also, i bought an overdrive pedal to get a bit more out of the amp.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
I was thinking I'd mod it and keep it as a backup amp when i get a job and therefore a better amp
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

I've never played a Valveking 112, but you can get some good Metal tones out of the JCA20h when it's boosted. I use a Boss SD-1 to boost and it's pretty damn good for a $250 head.
The jet city is awesome, get it cooking a bit and the tone you get is unbelievable, boost it and it gives you metal, lots of metal
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
For brutal ass-kicking metal? Go for a used 6505+ 112.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
no experience with JCA, but played VK at the guitar store. Dont buy it, "toobz or gtfo" wibe on this forum pushes begginers/people on budget to buy VK and, in my oppinion, waste money. Maybe modifications will improve it greatly, but by itself is crappy amp.

my vote goes to JCA because its "not VK"

Randall rg50tc is a fine valve combo, maybe look into bugera? They make good sounding amps cheap, and quallity is much better than it was in 2009 or '08, when they were blowing up
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
I had a Valve King 212 once. Cleans were ok. But overdrive/distortion tones were harsh, muddy, piercing, raunchy, brash.

I thought it sounded good until I tried it on a gig one night. Longest night of my life lol.

I'm confident the JCA20H will sound much better.
Maybe you'll wanna wait for the JCA22H. It's got two footswichable channels, and an FX loop.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
How about versatility? and i'd need a cab... my only cab is 4 ohms, the JCA won't take it
and when I say metal, I mean like, Sabbath, The Sword, Maiden- at heaviest Megadeth
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Quote by hr113
no experience with JCA, but played VK at the guitar store. Dont buy it, "toobz or gtfo" wibe on this forum pushes begginers/people on budget to buy VK and, in my oppinion, waste money. Maybe modifications will improve it greatly, but by itself is crappy amp.

my vote goes to JCA because its "not VK"

Randall rg50tc is a fine valve combo, maybe look into bugera? They make good sounding amps cheap, and quallity is much better than it was in 2009 or '08, when they were blowing up

so of course since you played a VK at a store you "know" it's crap . you have to spend some time with any amp and preferably your guitar to really get all the ins and outs.

i have a VK and even though i had more money and other amp options i picked it. if you play modern metal then it may not be the first choice. the VK's gain doesn't give you the kind of high gain used by many metal bands these days. if you play death metal or really anything past 80s thrash then you may be disapointed with the VK. you can push it with an overdrive but that really doesn't get you far into modern metal territory. i play 70s and 80s hard rock and metal which the VK does fine with but once you get past say Iron Maiden or Judas Priest it starts to falter.
Quote by monwobobbo
so of course since you played a VK at a store you "know" it's crap . you have to spend some time with any amp and preferably your guitar to really get all the ins and outs.

i have a VK and even though i had more money and other amp options i picked it. if you play modern metal then it may not be the first choice. the VK's gain doesn't give you the kind of high gain used by many metal bands these days. if you play death metal or really anything past 80s thrash then you may be disapointed with the VK. you can push it with an overdrive but that really doesn't get you far into modern metal territory. i play 70s and 80s hard rock and metal which the VK does fine with but once you get past say Iron Maiden or Judas Priest it starts to falter.

That's stock, right?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

The stock JCA is pretty good but it won't give you those "extreme" metal tones. It's more of a hot rodded rock voicing than a metal one, if that makes any sense. Think Ozzy and Judas Priest.

The Valveking is more metallic sounding but it gets muddy at high gain settings.
Quote by monwobobbo

i tried a few amps at the store without getting to know each ones ins and outs, and VK was the poorest.
Kustom Defender sounds better than it, albeit it doesnt have enough gain for metal off the bat.
Previously mentioned randall is better.
JCM 900 is obviously better.
Hell, even SS randall rh200 g2 that i tried there had more punch and clarity than VK
VK cleans are thin, distorted tones are muddy and dont have a punch, maybe modifications can be made to drastically improve it, but on its own VKk is pretty bad.

personally im torn up between pod hd and randall rh150 g3.One has ENGL model, other seems to have everything i may need out of an amp before getting ENGL invader at some point in the future
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
The Valve King is a very mediocre tube amp at best. The gain is not good, and the clean ch is meh. The contor knob will take you from mud to muddy.

The JCA is a really nice sounding amp, but again it will need a pedal to get a good metal sound. I would wait for the JCA 22h like Carlos_almighty stated.

Out of those 2 amps my vote is for the JCA.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ There is no 'contour' knob on a Valveking.

Get a 6505+ 112 over the JCA or the Valveking, if you ask me. Both can be made to do metal, but the 6505+ will sound better than either.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
^ There is no 'contour' knob on a Valveking.

Get a 6505+ 112 over the JCA or the Valveking, if you ask me. Both can be made to do metal, but the 6505+ will sound better than either.

Sorry I ment the texture knob, it still does the same thing.

And stay away from the 6505+ combo if you want the 5150 sound in a combo get a 5150/6505 combo they only come in a 2x12 but are waaay better than th 5150+.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Can you remember wht guitar you tried the VK with?

And I don't wanna have to tolerate my crappy amp any more... I hate it
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Quote by Robbgnarly

And stay away from the 6505+ combo if you want the 5150 sound in a combo get a 5150/6505 combo they only come in a 2x12 but are waaay better than the 6505+ combo.

*corrected

and ur not right!!

the 6505/5150 212 combo is more expensive than the 6505+ 112 combo
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
For the sort of metal you're talking about, the jet city would be better, although someone already mentioned to wait for the JCA22H, which I personally would do. It has enough gain, and has a really nice tone to begin with, even without tweaking settings all that much.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Yes they are more expensive, but you can get a used 90's 5150 2x12 for @$400ish and the quality is way better than the 6505+ and most will agree the 5150/6505>5150II/6505+. The quality of the 6505+ is about the same as the VK.......Mediocre.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes they are more expensive, but you can get a used 90's 5150 2x12 for @$400ish and the quality is way better than the 6505+ and most will agree the 5150/6505>5150II/6505+. The quality of the 6505+ is about the same as the VK.......Mediocre.

they are here like 700€ ish and the 6505+ combo is 550€ ish
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
I've got a Valveking 112 with 2 Ruby power tubes and in the pre-amp section - an Electro Harmonix 12AX7 and 2 JJs. It's also got a second hand Celestion Vintage 30 in it...it sounds pretty awesome to my ear. The speaker and tube changes clear it up something amazing, as do some other wee tricks you can read on the Valveking thread on here.

I'm gonna be using it for gigs and I've been using it for recording, definitely recommended.
I had a VK for a few days (I do amp repairs for a local music store).
I thought it sounded fine. Not awe inspiring though, but I had fun playing it.
I wouldn't call it a metal amp though.
But it did the classic rock thing fairly well.
I would buy one.
The right tubes can make an average amp incredible.
And as with any amp, proper EQ'ing is critical.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 20, 2011,
Quote by Tunder250
they are here like 700€ ish and the 6505+ combo is 550€ ish

Wow there is no way I'd pay for a 5150 in europe, they are a diecent amp, but not that good. It sucks that you guys and other countries get shafted to buy a diecent piece of gear. Actualy I have a PRS an seen the same model on a european web site and it was over 2x the price that I paid, and I thought that was pretty damn steep over here.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Wow there is no way I'd pay for a 5150 in europe, they are a diecent amp, but not that good. It sucks that you guys and other countries get shafted to buy a diecent piece of gear. Actualy I have a PRS an seen the same model on a european web site and it was over 2x the price that I paid, and I thought that was pretty damn steep over here.

a EC-1000 begins with 800€ over here

That's why i have a EC-100 for 300€ xD

but TS:

maybe a bugera..
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
a EC-1000 begins with 800€ over here

That's why i have a EC-100 for 300€ xD

but TS:

maybe a bugera..

Wow you can get them new over here $250/175 euros for a EC-100 and the EC1000 is $800/662 euros.

and a +1 to bugera for the price JCA is there only comp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

And stay away from the 6505+ combo if you want the 5150 sound in a combo get a 5150/6505 combo they only come in a 2x12 but are waaay better than th 5150+.

Nope.

Contour scoops/adds mids depending on the amp. The texture knob controls the phase inverter.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
So I should get the Jet City even though I'd need a cab?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

So I should get the JCA even though I need a cab? what if i can't afford anything over $250?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Quote by IronMaiden76
Can you remember wht guitar you tried the VK with?

And I don't wanna have to tolerate my crappy amp any more... I hate it

myself i have 2 strats one with Lace Sensor pickups and the other with regular single coils. i also have a squier esprit (think robben ford sig guitar on a budget, real nice guitar though) so obviously i play those thru my VK. i also tend to try out a pretty wide range of guitars at GC thru one. of course some work better than others.

won't say that the VK is the most awesome amp ever or anything like that but even stock you can get some nice tones from it. it's not an instant gratification amp like a Mesa MK V. with some work and effort the sounds are there. if you are a gain ***** then it's not the one for you. on the other hand if you have learned that good metal tone isn't all about br00talz distortion and aren't looking to play total br00talz metal then it can work.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jul 20, 2011,
i have a 112 cab which with replacement speaker costed a total of 165 euros.

Not a lot of money.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Get what you want, and if your budget only alows for so much to be alotted, then pick the best that you can. I like many on here have played guitar for as long as alot of members have been alive, and have more specific likes/dislikes. The VK is not a terrible amp, but many here belive that you can do better for a few dollars more.

If you can not strech your budget, the VK will do its job, but in a year or two you'll want to get a better sounding amp. were trying to save you the expense and hassle.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I appreciate that, I really do. When I get home from Michigan I'll head up to GC and test them all out
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Ok, since it seems like most people here haven't owned both or even one of these amps, i'll throw in my $0.02.

I've owned both. I like both. The VK has more of that smoother American tone, while the JC20 has a more snarly British type sound. Stock, the JC sounds much better, although it's not nearly as versitile. Modded (speakers, tubes, slight circuitry mods) and using a boost and EQ, the VK can be a total metal machine. It has the ability to be heavier than the JC.

However, the JC stock with a boost is perfect for what you want. I havent had the chance to mod mine yet, but I've heard they can be super aggressive sounding. It nails everything from blues and classic rock to System of a Down type distortion WITH a boost. Without, you get about to Sabbath levels.

tl;dr The Jet City is better for you unless you need two channels.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
get the jca. dont be afraid to get the combo either, theres not really that much of a difference between combos and heads/cabs. besides being able to seperate them
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
jet city
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Just an observation.

Among those that say the VK can sound awesome / metal, they also mention that you'll need the right tubes and a speaker change. For the cost of a speaker swap and tube change, you can easily throw on another $200 on top of the price of the VK.

Personally, if you need to do so much to get an amp sounding right, obviously the amp is lacking to begin with, hence not worth the effort or time. You should look at getting something that will get you the tone you are seeking, or at least close to it, without having to muck around that much.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Just an observation.

Among those that say the VK can sound awesome / metal, they also mention that you'll need the right tubes and a speaker change. For the cost of a speaker swap and tube change, you can easily throw on another $200 on top of the price of the VK.

Personally, if you need to do so much to get an amp sounding right, obviously the amp is lacking to begin with, hence not worth the effort or time. You should look at getting something that will get you the tone you are seeking, or at least close to it, without having to muck around that much.

Yup. and the demo's that claim that they can DO metal, they're mostly refering to the gain amount. i hate the sound of a high gain VK
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I'm gonna just try them both out and get one or the other, whichever sounds better Thanks guys
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699