Page 1 of 2
I am currently into pop-punk (blink 182, Sum 41, etc), Classic rock, some light metal, and some other stuff. Please dont lecture me on my shitty musical taste :P I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Studio, a shitty acoustic beginner guitar, and an Ibanez rg350m. I am thinking about selling the ibanez (it just doesnt sound as good as my epiphone) in order to buy a new guitar. I would like a versatile guitar. I dont care if it is a well known or obscure guitar, i just need one that sounds great for the money. My budget would be anywhere from 300-600ish dollars. If necessary, i could go higher. What would you guys suggest for a new guitar as an equivalent or step up from my epiphone? Should i try out a semi-hollow? Any suggestions are appreciated, as i am lost in the world of guitars. I would just like a unique but versatile sound that can play most of the genres i like, but it doesnt have to play all. Thanks in advance.
you have a decent guitar set, the les paul is pretty much perfect for what you're playing

what kind of amp are you using? your money may go further if you get a new amp compared to a new guitar
Quote by krehzeekid
you have a decent guitar set, the les paul is pretty much perfect for what you're playing

what kind of amp are you using? your money may go further if you get a new amp compared to a new guitar

naw, i think my amp is fine, its a 100watt marshall, and i love it to death. Forgot to mention it in the post, sorry

And yea, i love my epiphone's sound
Quote by jbongi14
naw, i think my amp is fine, its a 100watt marshall, and i love it to death. Forgot to mention it in the post, sorry

And yea, i love my epiphone's sound

what kind of Marshall? Some are awful
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
what kind of Marshall? Some are awful

i believe it is a marshall 100fx. Is that good? i dont have much experience with amps...
Quote by jbongi14
i believe it is a marshall 100fx. Is that good? i dont have much experience with amps...

Well the Marshall MG100FX isnt seen as a very good amp unfortunatly, or any of the MG series for that matter, its generally unpopular especially on this website, many, many people here have played them (including me) and find them to be pretty bad, really expensive for an amp which would be worth £99 if it wasn't for the Marshall name stuck on the front
Last edited by Capt_Clarkson at Jul 20, 2011,
You have a few guitars, and you like your Epiphone enough to not sell it. But $300-600 isn't a good upgrade. At $600 you're starting to get into higher end Korean guitars and a few low end USA guitars(the new budget Gibsons) as well as used USA Fenders and Gibson Les Paul studios.

A USA Fender or a Gibson Les Paul studio is a good budget upgrade, and you'll get the best for your money going used. I say spend the most you can to get a good guitar that will make you happy for a while and that's worth upgrading later on down the road. I'd sell the Epi as well if it meant getting a better guitar.

And the amp thing could be a problem, Marshall MGs are known to be a weak amp, but I guess if you like the tone it gives, then who's to say it's not good enough for you?
Quote by W4RP1G
You have a few guitars, and you like your Epiphone enough to not sell it. But $300-600 isn't a good upgrade. At $600 you're starting to get into higher end Korean guitars and a few low end USA guitars(the new budget Gibsons) as well as used USA Fenders and Gibson Les Paul studios.

A USA Fender or a Gibson Les Paul studio is a good budget upgrade, and you'll get the best for your money going used. I say spend the most you can to get a good guitar that will make you happy for a while and that's worth upgrading later on down the road. I'd sell the Epi as well if it meant getting a better guitar.

And the amp thing could be a problem, Marshall MGs are known to be a weak amp, but I guess if you like the tone it gives, then who's to say it's not good enough for you?

shit. So i screwed up a little on being gullible in the guitar shop. Would it be worth the extra money to upgrade the amp?
And what guitars specifically do you suggest?
The Epiphone LP Studio is a good guitar, but if you want to upgrade, then go and get yourself either a Epiphone LP Standard or see if you can find a used Gibson SG or LP Studio faded for the 600 dollar range on either E-Bay or Craig's List.
if you have a marshall MG, sell that and upgrade your amp.

if you like the marshall sound, its quite easy to find an MA50 or MA100 combo well within your budget. however, I would urge you to go to a shop and try things out. Brands like peavey, traynor, engl (might need to go used- ditto for mesa boogie), bogner and egnater, among others, make absolutely brilliant products that will blow the socks off your marshall
Quote by jbongi14
shit. So i screwed up a little on being gullible in the guitar shop. Would it be worth the extra money to upgrade the amp?
And what guitars specifically do you suggest?

I can't really vouche for too many amps out there, I don't have a lot of experience in that category. But I will say that Peavey makes good tube amps for the price, and if you find one used, it's a steal usually.
Quote by W4RP1G
I can't really vouche for too many amps out there, I don't have a lot of experience in that category. But I will say that Peavey makes good tube amps for the price, and if you find one used, it's a steal usually.

Thank you or the help. Do you or anyone else have suggestions for a guitar once i upgrade the amp? A list of possibilities would be extremely helpful. Info on each is not needed, as i can research on my own. All suggestions appreciated
Yes most people here don't like the MG, but if you do then who cares? you will notice a big improvement in sound by changing amps vs guitars. But if for guitars look at the PRS tremonti SE a Great budget guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jbongi14
Thank you or the help. Do you or anyone else have suggestions for a guitar once i upgrade the amp? A list of possibilities would be extremely helpful. Info on each is not needed, as i can research on my own. All suggestions appreciated

Gibson Les Paul Studios go for $600-650 used if you look around. Sometimes less if you are lucky and/or opportunistic.

The egnater tweaker sounds like a good amp for you. check that out, it's very versatile.

If you prefer only new gear let us know.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Gibson Les Paul Studios go for $600-650 used if you look around. Sometimes less if you are lucky and/or opportunistic.

The egnater tweaker sounds like a good amp for you. check that out, it's very versatile.

If you prefer only new gear let us know.

Naw, used is fine too.
and what kind of egnater tweaker? Send link? I have found various prices and sizes...
I use a valveking and it's a great amp in my opinion. There's a thread here somewhere for them with all kinds of mods and speaker change info.
American Circus
Like the White Stripes, RHCP, or Cage the Elephant? Check out mah band!
As for your guitar, I believe the ESP LTD KH SE (the greenburst, limited to only 300) goes for something like $689. Got FR Special bridge, ESP LH-301 pickups, 24 frets. If you're willing to dish out just a little more cash, I'd say go for it.

As for a new amp, I hear that Randall amps are quite impressive. I can't be sure. I'm just going by others' reviews of them. I'll be looking for a new amp myself in the not-so-near future..
I like prog
If you're looking to fill a gap in your guitar collection then try a hollow or semi-hollow, like a used Ibanez Artcore or Epi-something like a Sheraton II or Swingster Royale. Or you could get a Telecaster and play a lot of those styles. The top end of your budget would get a decent Tele.
Quote by jbongi14
Naw, used is fine too.
and what kind of egnater tweaker? Send link? I have found various prices and sizes...

the 15 watt one unless you are gigging. even then it could be mic'd. i had one, it's very good for what you play. i'd recommend the head and a 112 cab over the combo honestly, it's just easier.

what is the nearest major city for reference? there's a lot of good deals out there on craigslist depending on your location.
Quote by gregs1020
the 15 watt one unless you are gigging. even then it could be mic'd. i had one, it's very good for what you play. i'd recommend the head and a 112 cab over the combo honestly, it's just easier.

what is the nearest major city for reference? there's a lot of good deals out there on craigslist depending on your location.

east bay in california, near san francisco
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2504317022.html LP Studio asking $600.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2496808907.html little bit better condition, asking $800.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2488475509.html that's a nice les paul, not as common. ask what he wants in cash. cool guitar.

both would negotiate if you liked it. bring a friend or parent if you don't feel right about meeting someone off the net. met in a public place etc. (music store)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2504826399.html egnater rebel 20 head and cab asking $600.

but there is also the used section of the GC site. have a look there too, they will usually ship to you free if its something decent.
Quote by gregs1020
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2504317022.html LP Studio asking $600.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2496808907.html little bit better condition, asking $800.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2488475509.html that's a nice les paul, not as common. ask what he wants in cash. cool guitar.

both would negotiate if you liked it. bring a friend or parent if you don't feel right about meeting someone off the net. met in a public place etc. (music store)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/2504826399.html egnater rebel 20 head and cab asking $600.

but there is also the used section of the GC site. have a look there too, they will usually ship to you free if its something decent.

Thanks, i just checked those out... Would slight wear and tear affect the noise?
Quote by jbongi14
Thanks, i just checked those out... Would slight wear and tear affect the noise?

You'll barely notice it soundwise, as far as I know.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Just throwing in my 2 cents

the les paul is a great guitar, i have a gibson les paul and ill probally take it to my grave.

I think you just need a better amp, like what a few people have said. Ive played a few of the mg series, the 15, 30, and 100, i did'nt like any of them, but then again i play deathcore/metal, i'd reccomend something along the lines of a peavey, never go wrong there, maybe an orange if you can afford it. Idk much what to reccomend unless you want to play some brutal metal haha
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Check out the Samick RL series. Those are some cool semi hollows. And as per amps, I have a Fender Blues Jr and I love it. But definitely look into some used gear, because like many others said, there's lots of great stuff out there for a steal.
i knew it i knew it i knew it.....i read "100w marshall" and im like....>_> MG. Now to try and be helpfull instead of MG hating:

-Guitar Suggestions- Eh, everyone already mentioned the used Les Paul studio, but try looking for a used strat. that will suite the "Punk" tones that your looking for better.

-Amp Suggestions- for the most tonal flexibility, (Classic rock - Metal) bugera 333xl's have a really wide tone range *ducks under flame*.

-brain is kind of dead right now ill be back with more suggestions -_-
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
i knew it i knew it i knew it.....i read "100w marshall" and im like....>_> MG. Now to try and be helpfull instead of MG hating:

-Guitar Suggestions- Eh, everyone already mentioned the used Les Paul studio, but try looking for a used strat. that will suite the "Punk" tones that your looking for better.

-Amp Suggestions- for the most tonal flexibility, (Classic rock - Metal) bugera 333xl's have a really wide tone range *ducks under flame*.

Awesome thanks. Any specifics on the fender? Price range i should be looking for for used?
Quote by EspTro

Like how about this one?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-STANDARD-FAT-STRAT-CANDY-APPLE-RED-RW-106733851-i2001612.gc?&source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=920138119

why is it so cheap?
Quote by jbongi14
Awesome thanks. Any specifics on the fender? Price range i should be looking for for used?

a new mexican strat will run you about $500. used american strats i can see going around 6-700
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
a new mexican strat will run you about $500. used american strats i can see going around 6-700

Whats the difference between them? Sound quality?
Quote by jbongi14
Whats the difference between them? Sound quality?

American is like double the price of the mexicans. its better quality hardware and electronics basically
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
American is like double the price of the mexicans. its better quality hardware and electronics basically

How large is teh sound difference? Would u recommend the link i posted above to a fender? It looks suspiciously low priced....
Quote by jbongi14
How large is teh sound difference? Would u recommend the link i posted above to a fender? It looks suspiciously low priced....

i mean tonally it would get you in the same direction but the american will have a lot better pickups and just be...better overall then the mexican strat pickups. i recommend u dont buy online since you dont own a "strat-style" guitar so u might not like it. go to a music store, play one
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
i mean tonally it would get you in the same direction but the american will have a lot better pickups and just be...better overall then the mexican strat pickups. i recommend u dont buy online since you dont own a "strat-style" guitar so u might not like it. go to a music store, play one

Alright, thank you so much for the help. Im gonna head down to guitar center. I think ill save up for the american then
here's what you do:
1.Sell your amp and upgrade to whatever people recommend.
(im not big on pop-punk but im sure a peavy vypyr wouldn't hurt.)
2.sell your guitar and get an agile.
3.?????
4.Profit??!!?!?!
AMIDOINITRITE?
The second link is a Fender. Don't buy a guitar you haven't played if you can avoid it.

My general advice would be to sell all your gear and buy a new amp and guitar. If you want a strat look at the MIM Fat Strats.

MIM Fenders are great guitars but some are better than others, hence I say you should only buy one that you've played.

In terms of amps I don't really know what's good for your genres.

All the best
Page 1 of 2