I'm about to start playing rhythm guitar for my band (I was the bassist, but we found a new bassist so I can play rhythm) and I was wondering if I should get a distortion pedal or an overdrive pedal for playing rhythm. I'll pretty much just be doing chords.

I've got an epiphone les paul standard with the stock pickups still in, running through an ancient Musicman RD 112 tube amp.

In addition to overdrive or distortion, do you have suggestions for pedals I should go for?

Thanks a lot

Oh, and by the way, I'll be playing a lot of arctic monkeys-ish indie/punk.
Like this, if you don't know what I'm talking 'bout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGCre4HgPLU
Last edited by Monumentos at Jul 20, 2011,
Well, do you like the distorion of your amp?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
Well, do you like the distorion of your amp?

I don't, it sounds really muddy
Quote by Monumentos
I don't, it sounds really muddy

Well, if it sounds muddy, a distortion pedal won't do much for the amp. I think you should get a new amp that has a nice distortion. How long have you had your amp?
Quote by kutless999
Well, if it sounds muddy, a distortion pedal won't do much for the amp. I think you should get a new amp that has a nice distortion. How long have you had your amp?

Couple of years, I inherited it from my brother. Haven't really used it much.
How much could you spend on a new amp?
your amp may benifit from new tubes. give the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive a look. it does the tubescreamer thing and has a mod switch to kick up the gain. the mod section actually gives a nice distorted tone thru the clean channel of my amp great for rhythm. is your amp all tube or just half. many MM amps had a tube power section and a solid state preamp (some had it the other way around)
Quote by kutless999
How much could you spend on a new amp?

Not much at all.....
But let's say I did buy a nice new amplifier and I still wanted to get a pedal, what do you think? Overdrive or distortion?
Quote by monwobobbo
your amp may benifit from new tubes. give the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive a look. it does the tubescreamer thing and has a mod switch to kick up the gain. the mod section actually gives a nice distorted tone thru the clean channel of my amp great for rhythm. is your amp all tube or just half. many MM amps had a tube power section and a solid state preamp (some had it the other way around)

The amp is quite old, it probably needs new tubes. I don't know if it's all tube or just half, and I don't have it with me at the moment, so I'll need to get back to you on that one.
Yeah, maybe a cm-2 will make your amp sound better. Can you try it out any where?
Sounds like you need to have it retubed. MM amps are becoming a very rare site these days, so I would deff hold on to it. And most are very good quality like there guitars/basses

You would probably benifit more from a Fuzz pedal vs a OD/Distortion pedal. Maybe look at the Big Muff/Fuzz face pedals.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Giabbo
For the genre you want to play, i suggest a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and an Ibanez ts9 to use before it as a boost.
A really skilled friend of mine was using this combination and it worked out really well!

Finally, somebody who actually answers the question! I was going to recommend something like this. Any mid-gain dual-channel overdrive, such as a Fulldrive, GT500, AC+ or BB+, will get you lots of great rhythm tones.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
^ wut?

if his amp's tubes are banjaxed that's relevant info, you tool.

Just because you don't answer the specific black and white question which has been asked by the threadstarter doesn't mean you're not helping.

If I have cancer and go to the doctor to ask him how many paracetamol I need to take to cure my cancer, and he says, "Paracetamol doesn't cure cancer, you dumbass", that's still helpful info.

If you'd listen to a lot of the people in GG&A and EG, apparently the doctor's not helping because he's not answering the threadstarter's question.

jeez.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 20, 2011,
music man amps use a tube power section (in the 70's it was 6CA7/EL34's, in the 80's it was 6L6GC's) and the preamp is solid state. in the earliest models of the mm HD series they used a 12ax-7 as the PI but realized later that it was a design that can critically fail and got rid of it by ~78.

if your music man needs tubes, then it would be power tubes and it would be pretty apparent. you would have volume swells fading in and out and your attack would get really gritty/sputtery.

@kurtless: i wouldn't recommend that TS sell the amp and get a 'better' one, cuz you won't be able to approach an amp as good as a music man with the price range they sit in.

as for pedals in the front. the cool thing about music man amps is they take pedals very well and sound pretty good with just about anything. i used a multi effects in front of mine for a while, then moved on to a sansamp GT-2 (killer), then i moved onto a boutique OD (addrock NSOY). now i use a boost -> od -> fuzz chain.

for your purposes i'd recommend the sansamp GT-2 (or modern equivalent), the 'tweed' setting on that sound redic with the music man for indie. very gritty and powerful without much saturation.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Sorry, I didn't know it was THAT good of an amp.

TS, listen to what gumb said.
Quote by kutless999
Sorry, I didn't know it was THAT good of an amp.

TS, listen to what gumb said.

after fender sold the 'Fender' name to CBS (who bought up tons of other companies like Leslie, Rhodes, etc) he signed a ~10 year no-compete clause. as soon it expired, music man was born (actually prototypes were made before the term was up, i have played one).

basically, they were real Leo Fender designs of the era. more fender than fender.

i have 3.

'79 115-65. they all look that sharp. solid amps, 2 of mine still have original power tubes and they're going strong. this things will last on the road too. i'd like to see TS sell his music man for what he can get for it, put another 200 usd on top of that, and then try to buy something that looks that good when you open it (the mm would also sound quite a bit better too).

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
after fender sold the 'Fender' name to CBS (who bought up tons of other companies like Leslie, Rhodes, etc) he signed a ~10 year no-compete clause. as soon it expired, music man was born (actually prototypes were made before the term was up, i have played one).

basically, they were real Leo Fender designs of the era. more fender than fender.

i have 3.

'79 115-65. they all look that sharp. solid amps, 2 of mine still have original power tubes and they're going strong. this things will last on the road too. i'd like to see TS sell his music man for what he can get for it, put another 200 usd on top of that, and then try to buy something that looks that good when you open it (the mm would also sound quite a bit better too).

Ah, I see..
Do you have any clips of it?
Quote by gumbilicious

mmmm tasty

I've seen a couple MMs sold on my local craigslist and have thought about getting them before cause I figured they were kinda vintage, but I lacked the money. I'll have to keep an eye out now though
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
got 2 of mine online actually. all of mine i got for 500 USD or less

Quote by kutless999
Ah, I see..
Do you have any clips of it?

almost all my clips use a music man in the mix. almost everything that is live on my profile uses a music man in the mix.

-ae
Music Man amps, specifically the HD series sound yummy, nothing wrong with your amp.

I think you should look at something like the Catalinbread WIIO v2, it is my favorite overdrive or distortion pedal that I've owned. Extremely dynamic and responsive to your pick attack, its very amp like, and oh yeah, it loves MM amps
yeah that's sorta what i meant about the tube thing... far as i was aware the musicman amps were meant to be really good. certainly those gut shots look really good.

if it's not the tubes (and from the sounds of what gumbi's saying, it's probably not), then a pedal might be worth considering.

i'd have thought a crunchbox would be too high gain for arctic monkeys, though. maybe something that sorta blurs the line between od and dist? like an ocd (or clone)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah. I mean I haven't tried either (though i have a clone of the ocd, the dano one), but yeah, that'd be my thinking. the clips i've heard of the dls have been very good. certainly the older one with the plexi/jcm800 switch (rock/rawk) might be worth considering as i'd have thought the plexi mode would be better for what he wants.

EDIT: i mean i haven't tried the crunch box either but my tonerider british distortion supposedly sounds pretty close to one, and it has a fair bit of gain. you can turn it down, and get a pretty good more vintage marshall sound, but to me it just sounds that bit better where you're not sort of strangling it, y'know? Like it'll do it, but to me there are better options for that if that's your main aim. It also sounds very 80s Likewise with the tone control you can roll it off for more vintage sounds, but again to my ears it sounds better turned up a bit... and all that extra brightness again makes it sound more like an 80s marshall than a vintage one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by gumbilicious

i have 3.

gumbi can i has a clearer pic of that cap board.

you said that's a 79? That thing looks about...well by 79 cbs fenders were turd smores.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer