My Licensed Floyd Rose Tremolo Wont stay in tune when i dive bomb. I put new strings on and i stretched them, any hints?
do you have locking nut?
Gear:
-Squier Bullet Strat

DUNLOP CRY BABY

-Peavey ValveKing 212
How old is it? The knife edges on licensed floyds have a tendency to dull over time, much faster than an original Floyd. And problems returning to pitch is usually a sign of dull knife edges. Otherwise, check to make sure your nut is clamped down and the strings aren't sliding in there.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
ya i have a locking nut, and its kinda of old. any way i could sharpen them up or would i have to replace it.
As long as the strings don't slip through the nut when it's locked, then it should be ok.

Did you replace the strings with the same guage and brand? If not, then your tremolo may be out of balance and needs to be set up.
Does it fall outta tune the same way every time Sharp or flat??
Quote by sashki
As long as the strings don't slip through the nut when it's locked, then it should be ok.

Did you replace the strings with the same guage and brand? If not, then your tremolo may be out of balance and needs to be set up.

No i put on 52-10 but i bought some more springs to balance it out more, i have five on it
Quote by Rckin2fame56
it falls sharp

Then loosen the claw screw "small turns" till it falls back in tune......if the strings are all going flat then do the reverse. Till u have a balance between spring and strings.
Edit: do this with the locking nuts loose.
Quote by Rckin2fame56
What exactly are knife edges?

You see that curve after the word 'Floyd Rose'?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I took off 2 springs and now theres just three but it wont hold tune and it is coming up out of the hole more than normal.
Quote by Rckin2fame56
No i put on 52-10 but i bought some more springs to balance it out more, i have five on it

Here's you problem you can't just stick another spring and presto have a prefect setup.

Here's the step by step directions on the finer points of owning and using a Floyd.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

Just my 2¢ on the matter don't use hybrid strings they're much more difficult to get balanced correctly.

Personally I use 9 - 42 Ernie Ball strings. I do all kinds of crazy bending and that kind of stuff.

Pick a brand and gauge and stay with that gauge and brand. 10 - 46 can easily handle drop D and D standard. For what it's worth 9 - 42 can also do drop D and D standard. My Ibby is tuned to drop D and I has 9s

If you want to use heavier strings 11 - 48 you'll most likely have to do a full setup including adjusting the tuss rod

I'm sure someone fed you a line of crap about you needing heavy strings for chugging and modern metal. Getting that tone has a lot more to do with how you EQ your amp and what if any stomp boxes you use.

A six string guitar with a Floyd Rose. Was never intended for tunings like drop C and B standard. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and buy a 7 string or something with a stop tail piece for lower tunings
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch
Here's you problem you can't just stick another spring and presto have a prefect setup.

Here's the step by step directions on the finer points of owning and using a Floyd.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

Just my 2¢ on the matter don't use hybrid strings they're much more difficult to get balanced correctly.

Personally I use 9 - 42 Ernie Ball strings. I do all kinds of crazy bending and that kind of stuff.

Pick a brand and gauge and stay with that gauge and brand. 10 - 46 can easily handle drop D and D standard. For what it's worth 9 - 42 can also do drop D and D standard. My Ibby is tuned to drop D and I has 9s

If you want to use heavier strings 11 - 48 you'll most likely have to do a full setup including adjusting the tuss rod

I'm sure someone fed you a line of crap about you needing heavy strings for chugging and modern metal. Getting that tone has a lot more to do with how you EQ your amp and what if any stomp boxes you use.

A six string guitar with a . Was never intended for tunings like drop C and B standard. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and buy a 7 string or something with a stop tail piece for lower tunings

Ill look into the link but i use the 52-10 in standard cuz i like the sound and i cant over bend them easily, and i dont like modern metal...
follow the setup thread. in short, keep adjusting the spring tension and keep retuning to the tuning you want. keep going untill your level. when your good, lock down the nut, fine tune. u should be fine. any probs after that its something with the hardware itself
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Willowthewitch

A six string guitar with a Floyd Rose. Was never intended for tunings like drop C and B standard. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and buy a 7 string or something with a stop tail piece for lower tunings

Riiiiiight.

So first of all, you like playing with elastic bands. Then you claim that Drop C and B are not designed for a 6 string guitar equip with a Floyd Rose? You do realise tuning to Drop C or Drop B with a 7 string requires tuning up right? Look at Killswitch Engage, I could have sworn Adam D used a Caparison with a Floyd Rose, before he switched to Parker.

Also, "chugging" benefits from thicker strings in lower tunings so you're not left with a muddy undefined mess of a sound. Why do you think 7 strings come standard with a 56 on the low B?

Go preach your crap somewhere else, and if you choose to do it here, get it right.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Last edited by Mopy at Jul 21, 2011,