Alright, I have a Peavey 6505+ 112 amp that I'm pretty much over. I know the sensible thing would be to sell it/trade it, or whatever. But I really want to take the components and build a new amp. The type of amp I have in mind is the Orange Tiny Terror. Now, I don't want to make an exact clone, but something with similar paramaters: Class A, Single tone control, biting blusey sound, etc. Simplicity and raw tube tone at its finest.

Simply put, the Peavey is too much with too little end result for me. I know it may be heresy to some, but I don't need 5 preamp tubes and 60 Loud watts and two channels, independant tone controls, presence/resonance, etc etc.

SO bottom line is, how hard would it be to scavenge the stuff from the Peavey, and build a (seemingly) simpler amp? And is there any schematics out there even remotely similar to what I'm looking for?

Sorry if this question is whacky as all get out, but this just popped into my mind and it's eating me up!
Depends on have you ever built a tube amp before. Or do you have some knowledge about electronics?
I haven't built a single amp in my life, but it shouldn't be too hard if you know what you're doing. Check this site http://www.drtube.com/guitamp.htm there's some orange schems for you :3 But please consider carefully about tearing your amp in pieces... It is a very nasty feel when you realize in middle of the process that you don't want to do it ;D!
"You can't play fast unless you play slow"
Thanks for the link, Supercolio! And no, I have never built a tube amp. I have researched a lot on the subject, and have some minor electronics exp. though. And believe me, I know the feeling all too well of ruining a perfectly good amp! My first venture into tube amps was tearing down an old 60s PA head before realizing I had no idea how to put it back or anything! It was horrible, and a major lesson to be learned. But don't worry, I have "my amp" now, and this one has been collecting dust for nearly a year! So no regrets there!
I wouldn't tear the 6505 down to build an amp. The parts will likely be lesser quality than you would want to use, and a lot of them won't be suited for what you are trying to make. You could sell the 6505 and use that money to fund an amp build.

How many watts are you thinking you want the amp to be? Ax84 has a number of nice kits like the High Octane and the P1. There are also some of the other classic amps like the fender champ or deluxe if your interested in one of those.

Also just as a note, the tiny terror is not class A, I know orange probably markets it as so but it is unlikely to be true. A true class A amp requires extra design precautions, and usually larger transformers so I doubt they spent that money.

Vox touted the AC30 as class A forever, but its not.
Quote by XgamerGt04
Also just as a note, the tiny terror is not class A, I know orange probably markets it as so but it is unlikely to be true. A true class A amp requires extra design precautions, and usually larger transformers so I doubt they spent that money.

Is that true? Tiny terror is a 500$ amp, right? Why wouldn't Orange spend more money for bigger transformer? o_O Well, priorities are different for different companies.
And Xgamer has a point with the quality of parts.
No way orange is getting 15 amps out of a class A amp. They could get about 10 class A, so they are either lying about it being class A or lying about it being 15 watts. Take your pick.

The output stage is most likely lifted straight from the Vox AC15, which is class AB.

But like I said, you most likely won't notice any tonal differences that would allow you to tell if an amp is class A or class AB.

My brain farted out about the reasoning for why I have been told you need slightly better transformers for class A, because i know in class AB your current draw will be much higher than in class A. I may have had it backwards.

But quality of parts is likely to be low. I believe the 112 6505+ is all Chinese manufactured, so the parts probably aren't great.
How about you sell the Peavey, and buy either a Tiny Terror combo, or the head and a cheap cab?

That makes much, much more sense to me, than trying to make a completely different amp out of your 6505.
Quote by Supercolio
Is that true? Tiny terror is a 500$ amp, right? Why wouldn't Orange spend more money for bigger transformer? o_O Well, priorities are different for different companies.
And Xgamer has a point with the quality of parts.

it's got nothing to do with not shelling out the money for a better transformer...

it's got everything to do with the fact that its not a class a circuit, it never was and it never will be.

Quote by XgamerGt04
No way orange is getting 15 amps out of a class A amp. They could get about 10 class A, so they are either lying about it being class A or lying about it being 15 watts. Take your pick.

The output stage is most likely lifted straight from the Vox AC15, which is class AB.

But like I said, you most likely won't notice any tonal differences that would allow you to tell if an amp is class A or class AB.

My brain farted out about the reasoning for why I have been told you need slightly better transformers for class A, because i know in class AB your current draw will be much higher than in class A. I may have had it backwards.

But quality of parts is likely to be low. I believe the 112 6505+ is all Chinese manufactured, so the parts probably aren't great.

the transformer is wound differently depending on whether is pp or se A. dunno about the actual current draw but A is biased at max dissipation at idle so the transformer has to be more robust.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by XgamerGt04

Ah, that makes sense, I was sleepy when I replied to you and did not pay any serious attention what you had written. Thanks for the info though :3!