I've been playing guitar/electric guitar for a very long time, and I've delved into many genres over the years. I've started to immerse myself in learning some metalcore guitar songs. But for some reason, this style is really hard for me. I can play basically any genre easily, but something about this 1 genre is really difficult for me..Is there any tips or techniques that could help me perfect this style of playing?
Thanks!
Learn as much Metalcore as possible, get good at string skipping and alternating between chugging and melodic riffing.

August Burns Red's a good band to work at.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Yes.
Oh, you want examples? It isnt different from any other genre, each genre has its hard points, here it is speed.If you play rhythm it would be best to learn how to play really fast downstroked power chords, that is probably most important, just work on your speed in everything, downstrokes, alt. picking, tapping, know all your scales, yknow, dorian, phyrigian, lidian, mixolidian et cetera.Oh yeah, if you play lead then sweeping, but you already knew that.
Above all, Speed.
Quote by MrBillion
Yes.
Oh, you want examples? It isnt different from any other genre, each genre has its hard points, here it is speed.If you play rhythm it would be best to learn how to play really fast downstroked power chords, that is probably most important, just work on your speed in everything, downstrokes, alt. picking, tapping, know all your scales, yknow, dorian, phyrigian, lidian, mixolidian et cetera.Oh yeah, if you play lead then sweeping, but you already knew that.
Above all, Speed.

why do you tell him to know all of his scales and then mention modes?

Metalcore is, as he said, mostly about speed. A lot of it is simple melody lines driven by heavy rhythms. Earlier Trivium is a nice easy band to start with.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Well, as far as I know, modes make scales what they are, and thus some scales are named like that.But I may be wrong, ill research it more.
Quote by MrBillion
Well, as far as I know, modes make scales what they are, and thus some scales are named like that.But I may be wrong, ill research it more.

Classic mistake, they're similar, but they have a very different function in music. No big deal, just trying to clear things up a bit.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

learn some parkway drive, horizons is a brilliant album, besides the annoying sorta clean vocals it is one of the best metalcore albums ever made IMO, some of their stuff is difficult but stuff like dead man's chest is really easy, if your not good at down picking i suggest you learn some metallica obviously, work on trills i find their is a lot of them in metalcore, i don't really know what to say but practice, practice and practice. It is kind of funny because i'm not great at metalcore also yet i'm good at prog stuff like protest the hero
Yeah, sorry kinda forgot about all this deeper theory, just trying to look smart, modes can be useful but arent really neccesary, i meant scales like the locrian or phyrigian dominant, guess i have to relearn some of this.
Quote by MrBillion
Yeah, sorry kinda forgot about all this deeper theory, just trying to look smart, modes can be useful but arent really neccesary, i meant scales like the locrian or phyrigian dominant, guess i have to relearn some of this.

Still modes .

Major, harmonic minor, melodic minor, and natural minor are really all you'll ever need to know in most modern music. The melodic minor to a much, much smaller degree. You can pull all you need from those. Start with the major, work up from there.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by MrBillion
What about the Major minor?

Dont worry about modes at all, they are worthless, especially at your current level of theory (no offense) it's better to know all the major scales and how every other scale is built off the major, just modified.
Quote by MrBillion
What about the Major minor?

Nope. Like the dude above said, just focus on simple things. Start from the beginning.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Step 1 : Grab pick

Step 2 : Pick only the low E, D or C whatever your tuned into

?????????????????

Profit.

Honestly though, learn some old avenged sevenfold songs, or generally anything that stresses more on the right hand technique and you're on the right track.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
Not really neccesary, i know all the modifications to all the major scales to make them natural, harmonic and melodic minor, i know all the modes, just forgot the fact that theyre modes and not scales by themselves, lots about vocal harmony and polyphony and all chords up to the eleventh.Also I can recite all the scales from my mind without calculating at all since i use em all the time.I wouldnt call that lack of theory knowledge.I just get confused cause im not familiar with the names of some things in the english language since i learned them in croatian.
Quote by MrBillion
Not really neccesary, i know all the modifications to all the major scales to make them natural, harmonic and melodic minor, i know all the modes, just forgot the fact that theyre modes and not scales by themselves, lots about vocal harmony and polyphony and all chords up to the eleventh.Also I can recite all the scales from my mind without calculating at all since i use em all the time.I wouldnt call that lack of theory knowledge.I just get confused cause im not familiar with the names of some things in the english language since i learned them in croatian.

JW since i am a big MMA fan, in croatia does everyone know Mirko "cro cop" Filipovic?? is he like a household name? sorry for thread hijack
Quote by bragglefraggle
unholy confessions by A7x would be a good place to start IMO

First song I ever learned, and my *intro picking style* is awesome.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Metalcore use many techniques.

For rhythm i´d say you should practice downpicking, alternatepicking, muting and chord extensions.
Metalcore uses lots of altered chords like 7th and add9 chords.

For lead i´d say alternate picking. sweeping, legato and tapping.

Although i prefer to learn songs to learn the genre and overcome difficulties, that is what you need to work on.

Bands you should check out.
Killswitch Engage
All that remains
Trivium
Avenged Sevenfold
Bullet for my valentine
August burns red
As i lay dying
Between the buried and me
The human abstract

Those are the bands i lissen and learn from as far as metalcore goes. Good luck.
Motionless in white are quite good as well, very interesting sound Sorry for fanboying
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.