So, I had some leftover apoxie from fixing one of my guitars and I decided to add some coins to the headstock of my old guitar, just for looks. But, I vaguely recall reading something about adding coins to the headstock of your guitar... Does this actually do anything beneficial, or is it just aesthetic?
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
By coins, do you mean currency - like a penny? I'm confused... must McGoogle this now.
Where's Waldo?
Like, coins... Quarters, dimes, nickels, pennies...
Gear:
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
do beer bottle caps. i think zakk wylde did that on the body of one his les pauls and it looked pretty cool
It wouldn't do shit to your tone, But coins.. eh, I think they'd look dumb..

Might as well add some rocks and a bowl of cereal.
Where's Waldo?
I just put them on my old piece of crap guitar. So, it's not making it look much worse. Haha. Thanks for the help, though, guys.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
for some reason i think i remember hearing about this. apparently adding weight is supposed to add sustain to the guitar i think. it was just a belief some players had but idn if its backed by any studys. this company tried to cash in on the idea

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/groove-tubes-fatfinger-guitar-sustain-enhancer

whether it works or not, who knows
Quote by Wisthekiller
He nailed 'em, not glued.

Either way, it looks stupid as ****.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
grab your headstock, play a note, that seems about the same as clipping something onto your headstock. and since youre standing firm on the earth, you should be adding the whole earth to your guitar with that idea. so, infinite sustain? dont think so
a few coins stuck on your guitar isnt going to do anything, if you route your whole headstock off, and stuck the coins there, it still may or may not change the sound much.

attaching something, and having something that is literally part of the body is just different. how you attaches it will make a difference, but even glue dampens it. clamping metal on like that link above is probably about as close as you can get to "adding" material to your guitar

but i agree, it will probably look a bit silly. maybe if you inlayed them it might be neat, depends how its done
Last edited by xadioriderx at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by \m/slipknot\m/
for some reason i think i remember hearing about this. apparently adding weight is supposed to add sustain to the guitar i think. it was just a belief some players had but idn if its backed by any studys. this company tried to cash in on the idea

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/groove-tubes-fatfinger-guitar-sustain-enhancer

Yeah, that's what one would think. The glue would prolly dampen any sustain the coin would offer, since metal is the best resonance material available.
Quote by \m/slipknot\m/

for what its worth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sZ3w_Qwq2Q

its a video about adding mass to a floyd rose bridge
It does change your tone. but not much. on an acoustic however, you might actually be able to hear the difference. but probably not with an electric
Quote by xadioriderx
grab your headstock, play a note, that seems about the same as clipping something onto your headstock. and since youre standing firm on the earth, you should be adding the whole earth to your guitar with that idea. so, infinite sustain? dont think so
a few coins stuck on your guitar isnt going to do anything, if you route your whole headstock off, and stuck the coins there, it still may or may not change the sound much.

attaching something, and having something that is literally part of the body is just different. how you attaches it will make a difference, but even glue dampens it. clamping metal on like that link above is probably about as close as you can get to "adding" material to your guitar

but i agree, it will probably look a bit silly. maybe if you inlayed them it might be neat, depends how its done

adding weight to a guitar headstock will increase sustain, but holding a guitar with your hands isn't anything close to the same, the vibrations get weakened significantly by your squishy human body. if you were actually bolt on a trem block or something else significant like that, you would notice a change in sustain and defintely notic a change in tone at least while unplugged.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by xadioriderx
grab your headstock, play a note, that seems about the same as clipping something onto your headstock. and since youre standing firm on the earth, you should be adding the whole earth to your guitar with that idea. so, infinite sustain?

Lol, trollscience.
Ibanez AM78T with Lace Sensors
Squier Affinity with American Standard Electronics
Line 6 duoVerb
Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive, Heavy Distortion, and Vintage Tube Monster
Digitech RP500

Yeah, I have a colored sig.
Quote by the_perdestrian
adding weight to a guitar headstock will increase sustain, but holding a guitar with your hands isn't anything close to the same, the vibrations get weakened significantly by your squishy human body. if you were actually bolt on a trem block or something else significant like that, you would notice a change in sustain and defintely notic a change in tone at least while unplugged.

in my defense, i did mention in my post that clamping something is much less dampened than grabbing or gluing something. so gluing them wouldnt do much, clamping them on would do a little, but look pretty awkward

Quote by SGFish
Lol, trollscience.

that was the point lol