Poll: Wich option is the best?
Poll Options
View poll results: Wich option is the best?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
5 20%
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
17 68%
Other Guitars
3 12%
Voters: 25.

I don't like those heavy metal songs, but I like to play something like rock with a good distortion. I also like to play something a bit more clean like jazz or some blues.

Some references that I have are:
-Eric Clapton
-Aerosmith
-Bon Jovi
-Sting
-Pearl Jam
-Nirvana
-Paul McCartney
-Guns'N'Roses
-etc

The prices of this guitars aren't in discussion, so feel free to give your opinion and if you want suggest me another guitar in the sime price range.
Last edited by AdamFaron at Jul 20, 2011,
much of a muchness really... just whichever one you prefer.

what is your budget, and what country are you in? (affects prices and availability)

what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cool graphics. I wish more of these vs threads were like this.

I'd take the Hagstrom.
Quote by Dave_Mc
much of a muchness really... just whichever one you prefer.

what is your budget, and what country are you in? (affects prices and availability)

what's your amp?

My budget it's between 0-450€ and I live in Portugal, although I am not going to buy the guitar in here, it's going to come from Germany (www.musicstore.com or www.musicstore.de)

For an amp I was thinking either a Fender Mustang III or a Roland Microtube RX.

Quote by W4RP1G
Cool graphics. I wish more of these vs threads were like this.

I'd take the Hagstrom.

Thanks for your opinion, please vote in the poll above
And about the graphics, I used to do some design work with photoshop so I am used to this, it's about 20 minutes of work
Last edited by AdamFaron at Jul 21, 2011,
thanks

you could also consider the vox valvetronixes and peavey vypyrs for the amps (not saying they're better than the ones you're looking at, just more to consider). they're the big 4, I think, anyway (spiders aren't that great, they sound a bit fake, for want of a better word).

do you like single-cut guitars the best? I only ask because, while they'd be fine, something like a superstrat might be more versatile and would give you access to single coil tones too. Though I should add that I'm a bit of a superstrat fanboy, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
thanks

you could also consider the vox valvetronixes and peavey vypyrs for the amps (not saying they're better than the ones you're looking at, just more to consider). they're the big 4, I think, anyway (spiders aren't that great, they sound a bit fake, for want of a better word).

do you like single-cut guitars the best? I only ask because, while they'd be fine, something like a superstrat might be more versatile and would give you access to single coil tones too. Though I should add that I'm a bit of a superstrat fanboy, lol.

I use to have a peavey vypyr but I sold it, although I tough it was a great amp.
I was searching online for guitars and I found one telecaster that I simply loved and I am going to give it a try next monday or so.
It's the squier classic vibe telecaster 50s, what do you think about that?

If you were talking about other models please tell me so that I can look for them too
i haven't tried the classic vibes, but i've heard good things. However, personally I'm not sure I'd pick a tele for those tones- if you ask me, humbuckers would do them better (or a combination of humbuckers and single coils, say an HSS superstrat). of course, it's your money and your call, if you like the tele best then by all means get it. It's not like you can't play that type of music with a tele.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
my god, he asks for a guitar recommendation and you start talking about new amps, this obsession is really getting severe.

ot: there dosen't look like that much difference between them visually, play em both and see which sounds best. in reviews i've heard hagstrom are high quality guitars, but i don't know much about epiphone. if nothing else the hagstrom's a bit more unique
gtfo noob. I gave him advice about guitars too. and unlike you i seem to have actually tried the hagstrom and epi.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 22, 2011,
ohh i like. the haggy has a coil tap switch already built in. has my vote!

http://www.hagstromguitars.nl/fileadmin/_hagstrom/images/products/Instrument_Details/UltraSwede.jpg
Last edited by xadioriderx at Jul 22, 2011,
After checking everything, I think that I am going to buy the Hagstrom, it's really a nice guitar and the coil tap feature is so cool.
Thanks everyone for the information
honestly, buying a guitar because it has a coil tap is a bit like buying a car because you like its stock radio. If you really want one you can fit one later pretty easily if you can solder, and even if you can't you can pay someone to fit it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Anyone knows the difference between the Hagstrom Ultra Swede and the Hagstrom Select Ultra Swede?
yeah according to the hagstrom website the select ultra swede is a fair bit better- better wood (mahogany... which isn't really necessarily better, but for a LP-style guitar it's more "authentic") and better tuners. Might be made a bit better too (dunno).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
honestly, buying a guitar because it has a coil tap is a bit like buying a car because you like its stock radio. If you really want one you can fit one later pretty easily if you can solder, and even if you can't you can pay someone to fit it.

+1

I always think it's silly when people fret over whether it has one or not anyway haha,
Quote by Dave_Mc
honestly, buying a guitar because it has a coil tap is a bit like buying a car because you like its stock radio.

please try to remember we buy cars in america based on the amount of juice box holders.
^ ahahahahaha

cup holders are pretty handy, though

^^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by teh_goon
my god, he asks for a guitar recommendation and you start talking about new amps, this obsession is really getting severe.

ot: there dosen't look like that much difference between them visually, play em both and see which sounds best. in reviews i've heard hagstrom are high quality guitars, but i don't know much about epiphone. if nothing else the hagstrom's a bit more unique

looks like you're the one with an obsession here.

unlike your post,
turns out the question was not only valid but COMPLETELY on topic,
because the OP mentioned desired music styles, and is looking to buy an
amp that will complement the guitar purchase.

thanks again to Dave for continuing to take the time, to
help guys make better rig purchases.
6+ years and counting.

TS, i personally like the classic design and (usual) quality of epi standards.
although in the US there are a few more options of better value, in this price range.

if possible play the guitar first. if not possible, make sure there's a good return
policy, in case there are any shipping or fret issue.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 23, 2011,
aw thanks jenny
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by teh_goon

You haven't been here long, so I'll let you in on a little secret....
Its not GETTING severe, its always been like this.

So often people come on here and say stuff like :
"I want to sound like Kirk Hammet, I've got a Squire Strat and an MG. What kind of condoms should I wear on stage?"