Hey guys,
So I just started working for a new band and it seems their guitar player has always had a problem of his clean channel randomly and quickly dropping high end and then it quickly comes right back in.
The guitar has been completely rewired before the tour
The amp (Triple Rec) has just been re-tubed (power and preamp)
The guitar runs through a Line 6 wireless (was a sennheiser for a bit and the problem still happened)
Head runs into a Marshall 1960 cab

The tubes were all changed in the last few days and that did not help the problem. I'm thinking that it must be something inside the amp. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe
I'm probably misreading, but have you tried different brands of cable? some of my cables used to do that when i had cheap ones. the cables make a difference. also, it could be a loose wire, so just have a quick scan as it's pretty easy to spot.
maybe a pedal, i had the problem when one of my pedals was low on battery, it started to warp the sound
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Thanks for your responses but it is definitely none of those things. There are no pedals in the chain and it is a very quick change that then returns to normal so it's not the tone pot. He also plays his guitar (335) very low so it isn't even possible he'd hit the knob unless he's really trying. The cab;e from the wireless to the amp has been changed but I could try again.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
....could it be that he's using a line 6 wiresless system? Sounds like a wireless problem to me.

Line 6 makes good wireless systems mind you. Don't bash on everything Line 6 just because of their Spiders.

@TS has he changed the cable of the Line 6 Wireless out or is he still using the stock one? Those tend to be cheap cables.
try to identify the problem by changing equipment.

get him to play through his amp with your guitar
then his guitar with your amp,
with wireless, then without wireless
etc.

by doing this you will be able to figure out what is the cause of the problem.
---
Quote by Syriel
Line 6 makes good wireless systems mind you. Don't bash on everything Line 6 just because of their Spiders.

@TS has he changed the cable of the Line 6 Wireless out or is he still using the stock one? Those tend to be cheap cables.

I don't, actually. I used a flex tone for like 3 years. And I still carry a pod around with me. What I'm saying is could it be the line 6 wireless system.

Honestly, try plugging straight into the amp first. That sounds just like a wireless problem to me. Wireless mic, wireless guitar, wireless adapter. Anything
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Not the wireless. It has been a problem with other wireless units.

This only happens on the clean channel and according to the guitar player this problem has been around for a long time. The tubes were just replaced, the guitar was completely rewired with new pickups and pots before this tour.
if it's only the clean channel and nothing else fixes it, it's inside the amp, dodgy solder joint that sometimes looses connection with vibrations etc.

open 'er up and check for dodgy solder joints, other than that, if you're not comfortable with amps, send it to a tech to get seen to
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Thanks GABarrie,
I was hoping an amp guy would chime in with some help. As far as we can tell it is only the clean which is why I think it's the amp. It happens completely randomly and is only for a split second. I'll try and open 'er up and check it out.
Another question I have, since the wireless is ruled out and I'm with GABarriw now. Does this happen to occur when the amp is turned up pretty loud? Have you noticed it happening at any specific times?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The amp is always at the same volume. A performance volume. Not super loud as the band is on in-ears and the cabinet is mic'ed but it is a bit more than a bedroom volume I'd say. I have not noticed it at specific times, no.
This band goes from heavy distorted punk stuff to clean, open and barre chords at the flip of a switch. I've only ever heard it on the clean. If it makes a difference, the clean is pretty bright and percussive (when the high end isn't cutting out)
The percussive aspect might make me agree with GAB even more now on the solder joint. Unfortunately that would be a bitch to look for unless you knew exactly what it was. I'd take it to a tech.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Well, the triple rec is pcb rather than point to point so that makes looking for a dodgy solder joint easier to begin with.

I've had countless PCB items where the trace has lifted off (not so much the solder joint as such) which is pretty easy to tell, there's a fine line around the solder joint. But yeh, as Artemis says, if you don't really know what you're doing and can't find an obviously problem, don't go messing.

Oh, also, look at some of the amp sites for instructions for draining power from the amp circuit boards first, they still hold dangerous voltage levels for ages after being turned off.

EDIT: I'm an amp guy now? >.<
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Last edited by GABarrie at Jul 22, 2011,
Ha. Maybe you're not an amp guy. But I had seen your amp post and you seem to know a thing or two.
I've been inside tube amps before so I know about the dangers. I know how to drain caps (though I'm constantly reading different ways to do it and am not sure exactly what the "accepted" method is). I'll look around for cold joints or anything lifting but outside of that I've already informed the band that it would be out of my range.
Cool. Thats what I figured. How safe is the method of shorting it with a screwdriver? That may be my easiest option at the moment since I'm on tour and don't have access to the right resistors.
Well I do want to be an amp guy, trying to learn atm

if you can't find any obvious issues, post some detailed photos
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by inkandlead
Cool. Thats what I figured. How safe is the method of shorting it with a screwdriver? That may be my easiest option at the moment since I'm on tour and don't have access to the right resistors.

gah! no load shorting is bad.... arcing, voltage fly back etc. 5W 220k resistor with alligator clips on either end is your best option
Ibanez WD7 Wah