Im pretty much a total beginner when it comes to tapping, my left had is pretty strong and i dont find it difficult to play hammer ons and what not with all my fingers, but two handed tapping seems to baffle me... I've looked at a few youtube videos but they all just show me riffs to play, i was wondering if anyone had any advice or techniques they used when first starting? I know practice is the key here but you know, i thought no harm in asking
Practice slowly and get your fingers used to it, especially your picking (right, unless you're lefty) hand's. I don't really tap on bass that much, just a bit for improvising or messing around. I already tapped a bit on guitar before doing it on bass though

But yeah, once your picking hand's finger are used to it it seems much easier and less tiring (sp?).

I started tapping by playing out the intro to "Roses for the Dead" by Funeral for a Friend, I've never really liked bands of that kind but I saw a tab of the intro (in guitar, though I transcribed it for bass) as an exercise somewhere.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Last edited by technoguyx at Jul 20, 2011,
Metronome, start slow. I'm not much of a bass player but I imagine its harder than guitar. Just make sure you're playing all the notes clearly before speeding up. It usually doesn't take too long to get tapping, (not that I'm the greatest at it, but the again I don't really use it much).
I seem to get strange sound when i tap with my right hand, my left hand is fine and just sounds like hammer ons really but my right hand seems to get a really strange sound, like i get the note but then some kind of tin like echo i guess? Is that just a lack of practice or am i doing something wrong?
I'm in the mid-stages of tapping, myself.

Just go slowly (as everyone's said). My best bit of advice is to set up your bass with correct action for tapping. I was discouraged at first when i tapped because i wasn't getting a good response. But, i was using my bass i play with a pick, so the action was pretty high. I switched to my 5-string with SUPER low action, and i noticed an instant improved sound.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by SamWhiteBASS
I seem to get strange sound when i tap with my right hand, my left hand is fine and just sounds like hammer ons really but my right hand seems to get a really strange sound, like i get the note but then some kind of tin like echo i guess? Is that just a lack of practice or am i doing something wrong?

Just sit down and mess around with it until you get a clean sound. There isn't much to it, just build up the strength in both hands. It helps if you have a strong fretting hand so you don't have to worry so much about getting strength in that too. After a while you should be able to play bass with just your fretting hand to some extent.

The sound is obviously more percussive and a little different. It takes time but you'll get there. Try tapping some scales, maybe pentatonics up the strings.
This might seem like a very small attempt at a self-promo, but here's a lesson on bass tapping I wrote for a TOTM a good while back. Hopefully you'll find some snippets in there to help out your tapping.

TOTM - Tapping
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Tapping on bass is quite a bit more challenging than on guitar. You really gotta smack the strings pretty hard, and very precisely to get the notes to ring through correctly, without sounding completely weird.

It can sound really cool when done right though. I even played a bass solo with tapping in one of the songs me and my friend wrote together:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/Empires.mp3

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I do two-handed tapping on my 8-string guitar, so my experience would transfer to bass I suppose.

On developing hand independence, the thing I would suggest is to keep it simple. If you have to hammer a chord a few times while hitting a two-note descending bass line in one bar, for example... just hammer that chord once and let it ring for the bar and tap the two bass notes. Once you get the timing down, you can start adding more rhythm to it and building up from there.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Thanks alot guys My fretting hand strength is fine, its my picking hand that is weak, i'll just have to practice quite a bit until i get there!