Hello Guys!

In this thread am gonna be addressing mainly to analog distortion! ( not multieffects pedals)

Obviously one of the most important things when you play metal is your distortion tone. I've been reading a lot about what the best way to get your distortion from is, and I think that most people would say its a tube amp, like a mesa double/triple rectifier, and stuff like that. And it seems that many, many pro bands use that when playin live, and obviously even we would love to have the money to get our dream gear its not possible for some people.

So I am looking for an alternative, and this my reality:

If I am gonna play a gig I wouldnt be able to take my my amp with me so definetly my tone would need to depend on stompboxes mainly and Obviously there are tons of stompboxes and tons of amps so HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS

If you used stompboxes which one would you choose and how would you make its tone better?

And for your normal home gear...

What amp would you use to go with your preferable distortion stompboxes?

As for distortion stompboxes, i know there are many, like the metal zone, metalcore, fullbormetal, metal muff, and basically any with the word metal in it basically and
I was digging into other stompboxes like the Triple Wreck, the Dominator and the Openhaus but they are really expensive, but if you use any of these, wot amp do you use?

And as for the amp, i think you need one that has a good clean tone!? ( please correct me if I am wrong) so even you had the chance to have mesa double/triple rectifier it wouldnt be wise to use it in the clean channel and then use a stompbox right!? ( please correct me if I am wrong in my conclusions)

Please guys help me, Im just starting and i wanna know wots the best thing to do

Right now I am considering, the boss metalcore, and the boss equalizer stompboxes and no idea about the amp, but i am not sure yet. HELP!
So...are you asking which one we would recommend for you? If so, we're gonna need a lot more information. Budget, band's sound you want to emulate, etc. I'd definitely recommend staying far, far away from the metalcore or metal zone, though. They both sound pretty bad.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by kaosxrocker
So...are you asking which one we would recommend for you? If so, we're gonna need a lot more information. Budget, band's sound you want to emulate, etc. I'd definitely recommend staying far, far away from the metalcore or metal zone, though. They both sound pretty bad.

Yes I am asking for your recommendation!

Budget: I was thinking somethin low - mid- price. I wanna know wot the options are. I cant really go for the most expensive ones.

Bands: distortion soudns i like are, lamb of god, as i lay dying, in flames( new record), hatebreed, black dahlia murder, messugah, devin townsend. I mix of those or something like that would be cool.

Thank you for recommending me staying away from those, which ones would you recommend instead?
Last edited by damienro0 at Jul 20, 2011,
Quote by damienro0
Yes I am asking for your recommendation!

Budget: I was thinking somethin low - mid- price. I wanna know wot the options are. I can really go for the most expensive ones.

Bands: distortion soudns i like are, lamb of god, as i lay dying, in flames( new record), hatebreed, black dahlia murder, messugah, devin townsend. I mix of those or something like that would be cool.

Thank you for recommending me staying away from those, which ones would you recommend instead?

We need exact dollar value, especially for an amp. The lowest price I've ever seen on a new tube amp is $400, unless you're willing to go used? Also, it's typically recommended to use the amp's distortion and an overdrive pedal to tighten everything up.

EDIT: Should clarify, I'm talking amp heads. Also, why wouldn't you be able to take your amp with you to a gig?

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Last edited by kaosxrocker at Jul 20, 2011,
Quote by kaosxrocker
We need exact dollar value, especially for an amp. The lowest price I've ever seen on a new tube amp is $400, unless you're willing to go used? Also, it's typically recommended to use the amp's distortion and an overdrive pedal to tighten everything up.

EDIT: Should clarify, I'm talking amp heads. Also, why wouldn't you be able to take your amp with you to a gig?

I know the best distortion you can get is from a tube amp! however it is impossible to take for me because i dont really have a car, and sometimes i do have to take public transport, and you have to take the guitar as well, so its a lot of things to take if you also take pedals. I wish honestly i could, but I am not famous so got noone to help me!

Thats why I am looking for an alternative with stompboxes for the gigs, and also a good non expensive amp for rehearsals!

As for budget probably spending around $500 in total would be it

Thank you!
Last edited by damienro0 at Jul 20, 2011,
Quote by damienro0
I know the best distortion you can get is from a tube amp! however it is impossible to take for me because i dont really have a car, and sometimes i do have to take public transport, and you have to take the guitar as well, so its a lot of things to take if you also take pedals. I wish honestly i could, but I am not famous so got noone to help me!

Thats why I am looking for an alternative with stompboxes for the gigs, and also a good non expensive amp for rehearsals!

Thank you!

I don't think you're gonna be able to get a gigging amp that'd be small enough to go on public transport, unfortunately. As far as stomp boxes go, personally, I like my hardwire TL-2, which runs about $100. The best you're gonna do amp-wise for the $400 you have left over would probably be the Peavey Vypyr 100 or the Roland Cube 80X.

Quote by wolvenrick
personally I like what I've heard on youtube of the Bugera 55V. Sounds like nice distortion to me, if you need something louder you could always mic it. And normally people use a Tubescreamer to tighten things up. Really punchy.

Cheers!
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
a Good clean ch or an FX loop for the amp. And for the pedals look at AMT electronics Legend pedals. They are really Pre amps in pedal form they have mesa recto,Peavey 5150,Soldano SLO 100, Engl Fireball and they cost $150 ish. They sound tons better than any distortion pedal. look em up on the tube.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Has to go on a bus to gigs and practices?

Do you have a PA at the venues you play and practice at?

If so..... Pod.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by damienro0

Thank you!

put $500 down on a car so you can drive yourself? I really don't see how you expect to present yourself professionaly with out your own amp. I book bands and if a band showed up with out equipment, even if they were really good, would look unprofessional to me
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
sorry but it doesn't sound like you are ready for the band / gigging scene yet. any amp with enough balls for gigging won't be bus friendly and a tube amp would be out of the ?.

what are you using guitar and amp wise now? as for a pedalwell depends on the amp but either a Metal Muff or the Digitech Hardwire Metal would work.
I would look at a rack effects unit like the gsp1101. It's got all kinds of amps and distortions and it sounds great. You really can't rely only on stompboxes to get your metal tone. Most of it will come from the amp itself, not pedals. A rack effects unit will give you a pretty good metal tone if you tweak it right. Hope I helped.

What amp do you have currently?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Its all preference really. Dimebag used solid states for a lot of his career and his tome is unmistakable. But many people love the sound of a tube amp driven hard. Personally for metal I'd use a solid state, just because the distortion is easier to dial in. However, this does not mean that a valve amp can't do the same if not a better job.
I myself use a solid state H&K amp with an old marshall guv'nor for the solo's with the gain and level full and a shit ton of mid.
But in all fairness, go out and try a few amps and pedals! You might find one that blows you away but if not at least it will give you a clearer idea of what you want as your tone is a very personal thing.

Regards
Steve
Killing you for a smile
Solid State for cleans w/ pedals is not a bad thing. As long as you have headroom, you can do anything with pedals.

The best I know of for metal distortion aren't cheap, but you won't need to buy an amp for metal if you get one. Look at this guy's Youtube channel. He's a guitarist in a (pretty good) metalcore band in Europe, and he demos a lot of pedals that deal with a lot of distortion: http://www.youtube.com/user/xtimehascomex
So if you can't take your amp with you to gigs, how do you expect to actually play at the gig?

I have not played a gig which has supplied amps to anyone. everyone there takes their own amp. One time a bloke had problems with his amp as he was setting up and asked if he could use mine and i was fine with it but you can't expect to go and use other peoples stuff.

Also, if you don't even own an amp, how can you even be thinking of gigging?

My adivce would be to buy a multieffects like a pod and a set of headphones for home. Learn to play and read up and learn about gear. When you think you are ready you can make a more informed decision on your gear and with the pod you can start gigging by plugging it straight into the PA.
as far as pedals go, the boss power stack is amazing
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Tom 1.0

If so..... Pod.

+1

The Pod will have the ability to give you all the tones you need from a package. With a PA for the venue, you won't have to worry if your tube amp is gonna get drowned out, or blow everyone's ears out.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Thank you for your answers guys, and even for the discouriging messages sometimes! To be honest English is not my first language
And I am not from USA or Europe or any big Country. Im just from a poor SouthAmerican Country, attempting to play some metal. So please be patient if I ask any stupid questions. I am here trying to learn something.

Quote by kaosxrocker
I don't think you're gonna be able to get a gigging amp that'd be small enough to go on public transport, unfortunately. As far as stomp boxes go, personally, I like my hardwire TL-2, which runs about $100. The best you're gonna do amp-wise for the $400 you have left over would probably be the Peavey Vypyr 100 or the Roland Cube 80X.

So you are saying would use the harwire TL-2 with the Peavey Vypyr 100 or the Roland Cube X in their clean channels?

personally I like what I've heard on youtube of the Bugera 55V. Sounds like nice distortion to me, if you need something louder you could always mic it. And normally people use a Tubescreamer to tighten things up. Really punchy.

i can see the Bugera is a head, you mean you would get the distortion from the bugera or use pedal with it?

Quote by Robbgnarly
a Good clean ch or an FX loop for the amp. And for the pedals look at AMT electronics Legend pedals. They are really Pre amps in pedal form they have mesa recto,Peavey 5150,Soldano SLO 100, Engl Fireball and they cost $150 ish. They sound tons better than any distortion pedal. look em up on the tube.

Wot would be a good clean ch or an Fx loop for the amp for you?
Wot amp would you use with the AMT electronics legend pedals?

Quote by Robbgnarly
put $500 down on a car so you can drive yourself? I really don't see how you expect to present yourself professionaly with out your own amp. I book bands and if a band showed up with out equipment, even if they were really good, would look unprofessional to me

I am sorry I know I am not a professional, And I wished I had all the equipment in the world, unfortunatly i dont, and I'd rather
travel by buses but have at least something to play music with!

Quote by monwobobbo
sorry but it doesn't sound like you are ready for the band / gigging scene yet. any amp with enough balls for gigging won't be bus friendly and a tube amp would be out of the ?.

what are you using guitar and amp wise now? as for a pedalwell depends on the amp but either a Metal Muff or the Digitech Hardwire Metal would work.

Thank you for your message, obviously I am not ready to go professionally, but i have done garage gigs with a couple of friends just
for the sake of playing and having fun, i dont think you need to have cutting edge technology to play a small gig with friends.

I am using a line 6 spider iii at the moment, which is not really mine, but i cant take it to a gig, wot amp would you use
the pedals you mention with?

Quote by kutless999
I would look at a rack effects unit like the gsp1101. It's got all kinds of amps and distortions and it sounds great. You really can't rely only on stompboxes to get your metal tone. Most of it will come from the amp itself, not pedals. A rack effects unit will give you a pretty good metal tone if you tweak it right. Hope I helped.

What amp do you have currently?

I think rack effects are expensive. Would love to use them! But how do you use them?
you just plug a rack effect into de cabinet directly? A rack effect would count as the preamp?

Quote by JDizzle787
Solid State for cleans w/ pedals is not a bad thing. As long as you have headroom, you can do anything with pedals.

The best I know of for metal distortion aren't cheap, but you won't need to buy an amp for metal if you get one. Look at this guy's Youtube channel. He's a guitarist in a (pretty good) metalcore band in Europe, and he demos a lot of pedals that deal with a lot of distortion: http://www.youtube.com/user/xtimehascomex

what's a Solid State? By solid state you mean, a compo amp?
Tell me, wot options are if they arent cheap, please!

Quote by joe_k
So if you can't take your amp with you to gigs, how do you expect to actually play at the gig?

I have not played a gig which has supplied amps to anyone. everyone there takes their own amp. One time a bloke had problems with his amp as he was setting up and asked if he could use mine and i was fine with it but you can't expect to go and use other peoples stuff.

Also, if you don't even own an amp, how can you even be thinking of gigging?

My adivce would be to buy a multieffects like a pod and a set of headphones for home. Learn to play and read up and learn about gear. When you think you are ready you can make a more informed decision on your gear and with the pod you can start gigging by plugging it straight into the PA.

There indded here some places that may have amps, where you can play in. Sometimes they would have marshalls, so sometimes if that is the case I would borrow a distortion pedal
and play in the clean channel of that amp.

Quote by ragingkitty
+1

The Pod will have the ability to give you all the tones you need from a package. With a PA for the venue, you won't have to worry if your tube amp is gonna get drowned out, or blow everyone's ears out.

I dont really want a sound modeller because i dont really want to model any bands, I just mentioned bands because someone asked to I like
their distortion, but a dont think a band is simply about distortion.

Hope you help me with some answers!
I forgot to ask! Whats a PA? people have mentioned this here! is it a Pre Amp?
Quote by damienro0

So you are saying would use the harwire TL-2 with the Peavey Vypyr 100 or the Roland Cube X in their clean channels?

what's a Solid State? By solid state you mean, a compo amp?
Tell me, wot options are if they arent cheap, please!

Yes, exactly. And Solid State simply refers to an amp style. You can have a tube combo or a solid state combo, as well as tube and solid state heads. To achieve distortion, tube amps use vaccuum tubes, while solid state amps use semiconductors. Tube distortion is usually quite a bit smoother, and generally more people prefer the sound of tube distortion.

Also, modelling amps don't recreate bands sounds. They model different amps and effects. It's like having a multi-effects pedal built into your amp.

EDIT:
Quote by damienro0

It stands for Public Announcement. It's basically a vocal amplification system.

Quote by wolvenrick
Last edited by kaosxrocker at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by damienro0

Solid State, means, it's doesn't use tubes.

PA, Public Announcement system, those big speakers at venues that amplify the sound.

You need to get a car, instead of worrying about what amp and pedal, public transport for a working musician is a joke, you'll get your stuff stolen that way.

If you are gigging without a PA system, you're gonna need at least 30 tube watts, or 80 SS watts or something. It's going to be a large amp either way.
Quote by kaosxrocker
Yes, exactly. And Solid State simply refers to an amp style. You can have a tube combo or a solid state combo, as well as tube and solid state heads. To achieve distortion, tube amps use vaccuum tubes, while solid state amps use semiconductors. Tube distortion is usually quite a bit smoother, and generally more people prefer the sound of tube distortion.

Also, modelling amps don't recreate bands sounds. They model different amps and effects. It's like having a multi-effects pedal built into your amp.

EDIT:

It stands for Public Announcement. It's basically a vocal amplification system.

Thank you for your answers man you are very kind! That explained a lot
I was googling the Peavey Vypyr 100 and the Roland Cube X and they say they are modeling amps. I was told that you cant really mix pedals, with modelling amps. For instance, i was using the boss metalcore with a line 6 spider iii in a clean channel, and they told me that was wrong?

Wot would then be a decent amp, if was to use a distortion pedal with it? I am confused!
Quote by damienro0
Thank you for your answers man you are very kind! That explained a lot
I was googling the Peavey Vypyr 100 and the Roland Cube X and they say they are modeling amps. I was told that you cant really mix pedals, with modelling amps. For instance, i was using the boss metalcore with a line 6 spider iii in a clean channel, and they told me that was wrong?

Wot would then be a decent amp, if was to use a distortion pedal with it? I am confused!

There's no such thing as "wrong" in this business, and with your budget, you don't have a whole lot of options. And at least in my experience, the Cube takes pedals fairly well.

However, I definitely agree with the guys who are telling you to save for a car first. I realize that it's not what you want to do, but a car will really, really help you in the long run. Not only will it help cart your gear around, but it'll help you get a job so you can buy more gear.

Quote by wolvenrick
Quote by kaosxrocker
There's no such thing as "wrong" in this business, and with your budget, you don't have a whole lot of options. And at least in my experience, the Cube takes pedals fairly well.

However, I definitely agree with the guys who are telling you to save for a car first. I realize that it's not what you want to do, but a car will really, really help you in the long run. Not only will it help cart your gear around, but it'll help you get a job so you can buy more gear.

Thank you I''ll consider that car! lol

Supposing I had any budget available but i wanted to use pedals, to get the distortion tone? Wot would be my options, or are you saying no one with a good budget would choose to use pedals?
Because I saw the Triple Wreck, the Dominator and the Openhaus and they seem pedals with an awesome tone, but wot amp would you use them with? any amp with a good clean sound? but what amp is that?

Quote by ethan_hanus
Solid State, means, it's doesn't use tubes.

PA, Public Announcement system, those big speakers at venues that amplify the sound.

You need to get a car, instead of worrying about what amp and pedal, public transport for a working musician is a joke, you'll get your stuff stolen that way.

If you are gigging without a PA system, you're gonna need at least 30 tube watts, or 80 SS watts or something. It's going to be a large amp either way.

I am not actually a working musician, i am just a guy who plays music for fun and sometimes plays in small friends when invited. nothing fancy really. but I will consider the car!

So are you saying that you can plug pedals directly into a PA system?
Quote by damienro0
Thank you I''ll consider that car! lol

Supposing I had any budget available but i wanted to use pedals, to get the distortion tone? Wot would be my options, or are you saying no one with a good budget would choose to use pedals?
Because I saw the Triple Wreck, the Dominator and the Openhaus and they seem pedals with an awesome tone, but wot amp would you use them with? any amp with a good clean sound? but what amp is that?

I'm not saying to swear off pedals completely. Some of the most widely recognized guitarists build their tones off of pedals. But most people with an unlimited budget choose to get a high end amp, like a Mesa, Marshall, or Engl, and improve the amp's distortion with something like an Ibanez Tubescreamer. Ultimately, the choice of amp is entirely up to you. If money weren't an object, I'd have a Mesa Dual Rectifier in a heartbeat. However, you could prefer the sound of a Marshall JCM800 boosted with an overdrive pedal. Tone is completely subjective. You've just got to look around and see which amps appeal to you.

EDIT: Damn it, I really need to start re-reading your posts before I send these. If you like a clean tone, then yeah, you'd need an amp with a good clean channel. If cleans aren't particularly important to you, then don't worry about it. Go back to the point I originally made.

Quote by wolvenrick
Last edited by kaosxrocker at Jul 21, 2011,
Quote by kaosxrocker
I'm not saying to swear off pedals completely. Some of the most widely recognized guitarists build their tones off of pedals. But most people with an unlimited budget choose to get a high end amp, like a Mesa, Marshall, or Engl, and improve the amp's distortion with something like an Ibanez Tubescreamer. Ultimately, the choice of amp is entirely up to you. If money weren't an object, I'd have a Mesa Dual Rectifier in a heartbeat. However, you could prefer the sound of a Marshall JCM800 boosted with an overdrive pedal. Tone is completely subjective. You've just got to look around and see which amps appeal to you.

EDIT: Damn it, I really need to start re-reading your posts before I send these. If you like a clean tone, then yeah, you'd need an amp with a good clean channel. If cleans aren't particularly important to you, then don't worry about it. Go back to the point I originally made.

Thank you sorry vocab problem again. Whats a high end amp? Why are they called that?

The only reason i mention amps with clean tone, its because if we were to use distortion pedals the right thing to do is use them with a clean tone, isnt it? I mean if you were getting your distortion tone simply from a pedal, you would need amp with a good clean tone, right?

Its just that I've seen people who use an incredible amount of analog pedals, distortions, and effects. I've seen for example people using a metal zone with a marshall amp head and cabinet, but once i heard someone say marshall are high gain amps so distortion pedals shouldnt be used with them, and you should rather use them with low gain amps so thought he refered to amps that have good cleans?

So all this internet stuff really confuses me!
I dont get that part
Quote by damienro0
Thank you sorry vocab problem again. Whats a high end amp? Why are they called that?

The only reason i mention amps with clean tone, its because if we were to use distortion pedals the right thing to do is use them with a clean tone, isnt it? I mean if you were getting your distortion tone simply from a pedal, you would need amp with a good clean tone, right?

Its just that I've seen people who use an incredible amount of analog pedals, distortions, and effects. I've seen for example people using a metal zone with a marshall amp head and cabinet, but once i heard someone say marshall are high gain amps so distortion pedals shouldnt be used with them, and you should rather use them with low gain amps so thought he refered to amps that have good cleans?

So all this internet stuff really confuses me!
I dont get that part

"High end" simply means high quality, and usually quite expensive.

And here's the thing about the internet. People like to talk out of their ass. There's no law saying that you can't use a distortion pedal with a Marshall. If it sounds good to you, do it. There are some people out there who use a distortion pedal on the distortion channel on their amp, because they like they way it sounds. Either way, if you plan on using cleans when you're playing, you need an amp with a clean channel that sounds good to you. That could be anything from a Mesa Mark V to a Fender Deluxe to one of the amps I recommended to you. It's all about what sounds best to you. Go to a local music shop and try some amps out. Barring that, look up amps that intrigue you on YouTube.

Quote by wolvenrick
Quote by kaosxrocker
"High end" simply means high quality, and usually quite expensive.

And here's the thing about the internet. People like to talk out of their ass. There's no law saying that you can't use a distortion pedal with a Marshall. If it sounds good to you, do it. There are some people out there who use a distortion pedal on the distortion channel on their amp, because they like they way it sounds. Either way, if you plan on using cleans when you're playing, you need an amp with a clean channel that sounds good to you. That could be anything from a Mesa Mark V to a Fender Deluxe to one of the amps I recommended to you. It's all about what sounds best to you. Go to a local music shop and try some amps out. Barring that, look up amps that intrigue you on YouTube.

Cool man! Thanks a lot!
Quote by damienro0
Cool man! Thanks a lot!

No problem

Quote by wolvenrick
Personally i would say blackstar ht-dual
you have two channel, tube in it and all that for nearly 200 bucks
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez SZ-520QM (D-Sonic/Air Norton)
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-Engl E530 + 930/60 Poweramp
-POD X3L
I see a lot of the queries have been addressed... but there are some points want to add on to as well.

Quote by kaosxrocker

As Kaoscrocker mentioned, a modeling amp or multiFX doesn't recreate band sound. It gives you a wide range of tones in a small package (some modelers are better and some are not). For example the Peavey Vypyr is a modeling amp. Similarly, if you get something like a Pod, it will give you access to a Fender Bassman, Twin Reverb, Mesa Dual Recto, Uberschall and ENGL Fireball all within a relatively easy to cart package.

In effect, a modeler can provide you with all sounds of the heavy amps in a easy to carry board.

If you're going through a venue PA, or if your band has a PA to share, you can go direct into the PA without micing. That helps because if you have different sized venue, you won't have to worry if your 30 watts amp is too small, or if your 100 watt amp is too big.

If you're gigging a modeler really helps because you can programme a whole lotta effects you can just bring up at a foot tap instead of reaching down and tweaking your amp or individual stomp boxes.

Also if you need a back-up amp, the modeler is a light weight alternative.

Quote by damienro0
I was told that you cant really mix pedals, with modelling amps. For instance, i was using the boss metalcore with a line 6 spider iii in a clean channel, and they told me that was wrong?

It's not that you can't. How modeling amps work is that it takes your signal and then converts it into 1s and 0s that the on-board DSP can read and translate.

The DSP will then run some fancy mathematical formula and algorithms that will change your signal so that when it is amplified, it sounds as though you're running it through something like an expensive Mesa/Boogie amp.

The problem with a cheap modeler like the Spider III, is that the amp models are so simple, and the processing power so limited, it cannot process anything else other than a clean and unaltered guitar signal properly. So if your signal is distorted or changed before it reaches the Spider, the Spider will try to process it as though the signal was clean. Hence the final output sounds terrible.

Quote by damienro0

People with high budgets still use pedals to give them a specific tone. Pedals add to your existing tone. Its like a building, and your amp is the foundations.

If the foundations is solid and good, the building on top will be stable and solid. However, if the foundations are weak and prone to cracks or movements, the building will not be safe.

Similarly, a good pedal going through a terrible amp will sound terrible.

The prices of boutique pedals like the OKKO and the ToneCzar are really high. If you can afford to buy one of those, you can look at better investments that will get you similar sounds at a cheap (like a Pod HD).

Quote by damienro0
So are you saying that you can plug pedals directly into a PA system?

Not really recommended because without an amp to process your signal first, going from box -> PA will sound pretty terrible.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by damienro0
Hello Guys!
If I am gonna play a gig I wouldnt be able to take my my amp with me so definetly my tone would need to depend on stompboxes mainly and Obviously there are tons of stompboxes and tons of amps so HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS

Why cant you bring your amp to gigs lol????

Anyways dont waste your money on a ml-2 and a cheap amp.
Save up $400-500 bucks and get a used peavey 5150/6505 combo, you wont need a crappy distortion pedal with this amp maybe an od to tighten it up but thats a whole different topic.
There also heavy as shit so start lifting weights in the meantime so you can lug it to gigs.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Jul 21, 2011,
Some good advice here, I'd like to add as well that if you need volume and you're travelling by bus/on foot there's always the ZT lunchbox amp. I've never tried one but I've seen them and felt the weight, though the speaker is tiny and I can't imagine it'll sound brilliant, but it's portable in size (you can easily carry it in one hand) and it should be pretty loud and consistent in tone (it's ~200watts and solid state) Run a good distortion pedal through it and hopefully it'll sound ok.

The advantages of it are that it's loud and you could easily carry that, a guitar and a few pedals on your own. And hopefully you could afford it with a pedal or two. It also means you don't have to worry about the PA system at the venue since I think it'll be loud enough for any gig you're playing.

The disadvantages are that, although I've never tried it, I'm not sure it'll sound great, and the amp itself is very simple. (It's loud and clean. And it has a tone knob. That's about it) However, it's worth a look.
Jet City has a 20W all tube head that I'm sure would be loud enough for small gigs - as far as I can tell runs about $250-300, the combo im pretty sure is under 400. It's single channel, but with a pedal in front of it you would effectively have two channels (clean = the amp, dirty = pedal on). I dont have much experience as far as the pedals go, but maybe someone here could recommend something.

From what I've seen and heard, theyre decent amps.... im likely going to be getting one in the next few months or so.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
You need an amp with good clean headroom to run the pedal on. You'd use it's clean channel.
Quote by Tom 1.0

If so..... Pod.

+infinity.
Stombox into PA=horrible.

What you need is a good MFX pedal with amp/cab models.
guys the OP says he's in south america so half the stuff mentioned either isn't available or will be way more expensive than you might think.

ok try this, see if you can find a Peavey Bandit they have been around for a long time and even down there a used one can't be that expensive. run the amp clean and then use a distortion pedal. won't be the most awesome sound ever but will be useable (i did this for an early band and it works). perhaps letting us know what distortion pedals are available to you would help narrow the choices.