Page 1 of 2
I currently am playing Ernie Ball 10's (Regualr slinky) on my schecter right now, and i can't say im a fan. They feel rough and peircing like they are digging into my fingers. I have been playing this new set for a good 8 hours total now so they should be worn in but i still have that same feel. I wanna try some new strings but i've never ventured away from Ernie Ball but i kind of would like to. I have used super slinkies and i like the movement of those but i dont like the thin. I play a lot of metal and (Ozzy, BFMV, ZW, etc) so i do a lot of bends and i want something comfortable and smooth. Somthing that feel like part of the fretboard. Give me your opinons! (I'd like a set of 10's if possible, but 9's that are heavy sounding will do amazingly!)

Thanks to everyone who replies with a HELPFUL comment

Seth
98' Peavey Wolfgang Special USA "Pat Pend"
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender Stickered Pinecaster Tele
Kramer 5150 Replica-GFS VEH
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Elixir Nanoweb. You will never look back.
Peavey 3120
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet
Jackson RR5
Jackson DKMG
LTD EC-1000
TC Electronic Polytune
BOSS RV-5
BOSS DD-7
MXR 10-band EQ
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
BOSS NS-2
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
nanowebs are expensive daddarios are awesome same with DR tite fits hell even dunlop strings are better than slinkys in my opinion
Quote by KillingMachine
Elixir Nanoweb. You will never look back.

I did when I decided that $15 a pack was entirely too much.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
D'addarios are great. Pretty much all I use. If I could afford it (And they made them in the gauges I want..) I would always buy Elixirs. They sound the best, can last longer than a month (Which is saying a lot for strings for me.. Oily fingers, several hours a day corrodes them within a week or so)
I'm really happy with D'addarios. I've used DR's before and they work good too.
D'addario 10s are fantastic. I used to use Ernie Ball 10s, and had the same problem. Then I happened to try D'addarios and just fell in love. They arent too expensive, either.
Quote by kaosxrocker
I did when I decided that $15 a pack was entirely too much.

I get Pro packs (3 packs) for 22$
Peavey 3120
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet
Jackson RR5
Jackson DKMG
LTD EC-1000
TC Electronic Polytune
BOSS RV-5
BOSS DD-7
MXR 10-band EQ
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
BOSS NS-2
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
heh, it's funny how strings in the U.S are like 5$ but in Norway they're 50$ ea. set. No joke
yeah All I ever use are D'addario or Ernie Ball they are about the same to me.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sounds good guys since the poll here seems to be D'Addario, i think im gonna get a set of tens tomorrow. If they have a set of elixir nanowebs, ill grab a pack of those too just to see if they are worth $15 I'll let you guys know what i think! Still open for suggestions to anyone who hasn't replied to this thread yet!

Thanks,
Seth
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Wait, what type of D'Arddario's? XL Prosteels, Nickel round wound, Half rounds, Pure Nickel round, etc?? :-/
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
I know whatcha mean, man. I haven't used that many brands of strings but seriously. Eff Ernie 10s. I used to get them all the time cause they were only $3.99 per pack at GC. Their lifespan is seriously depressing. You put them on, they sound good at first but feel like crap. Week or less later you can definitely hear the loss of tone. Not only that, but even in Eb you can't bend those ****ers. Sub-par sustain too.

I really like what you said in the OP. That you want some strings that actually feel like part of the fretboard. That's a really good way of putting it. But you're right, Ernies are such the opposite of that. They're like, foreign to the fretboard. Just not a good marriage. I would definitely recommend DR's Dimebag coated 10s. They keep their brightness so much longer and they actually feel good. Bend easier, and didn't kill you to fret them.
Last edited by SamZee at Jul 20, 2011,
how are ernie ball's hard to bend? i use 12 gauge strings and have no real difficulty with bends. it's interesting everyone seems to say ernie balls die quickly, every set of DR's i've used sounded dead straight out the packet
try fender bullets (the pure nickel ones)

for d'adario, go with pure nickel wound, or half rounds.

also, please try the elixir strings. they really are a godsend. if they have them, look at the lthb edition.
I don't mean that I'm unable to bend them... just that I'm literally afraid to in fear of breaking them. You use 12s but for what tuning? I will say that regular DRs aren't that great, but compared to the Dimebag coated 10s, it was like night and day. The ones I tried anyway.
The D'addario Prosteels are the basic right? Should I get those in a 10 i guess?
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
I've been a user of DR strings for a decent while now, almost all of my guitars are strung with Tite Fit 10's. They loose the "fresh string" sound a little faster than most but they hold the "pretty new" sound forever. I usually get 3 months out of a set, 2 months when I gigged at least twice a week for nearly 2 years.

Also, +1 to the Fender Bullets. I really love how they feel on vintage Gibsons for some reason.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Alright guys! I'm officially heading out on my journey of the perfect strings. Here's my list of purchasing (if i can find them)
Elixir Nanowebs
D'addario XL (couple various packs of 10's)
Fender Bullets
DR Dimebag coated 10's
DR Tite Fit 10's/a couple other packs maybe

Thanks to all that posted your helpful comments! Wish me luck

Cheers,
Seth
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Update: Strings i purchased

x2 D'addario XL Nickel Wound 10's
DR Tite-Fit 10's
DR Neon 10's

will try them all out tonight and let you know what i think.

Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
your fav's will probably be d'adario nickels. they are good, but honestly not as good as pure nickel fender bullets, or elixir strings.

the fender bullets have a brass end instead of that aluminum on most strings, which does help to transfer sound slightly better (at least it seems that way to me)
the elixirs last forever and always feel slinky.
Woah, DR Neons? That's crazy, I've never heard of those before. Just checked 'em out on Youtube and they look sweet, but I'm wondering how they sound and feel. Looking forward to your reviews.
Your sig says that your Schecter has EMG 81/85, Ernie Balls are the best for that, however if you dont like the 10s, get the Hybrid Slinkies (.09-.46) as they have the lower end of the regulars and the treble strings of the super slinkies. Also buy a pair of D'addarios(which i believe will feel better but not sound as great on actives) and compare the feel and tone to see what you prefer, and each set can be only like 5 bux lost
GUITAR-ESP LTD MH-400NT - EMG 81/85
1992 BC RICH WARLOCK PLATINUM SERIES
AMP- PEAVEY VYPYR 15
Good idea mate, the best way is trial and error.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Argh, a bit late for this now! But I recommend Rotosound strings.

Usually I go either D'addario or Rotosound, I currently have a set of Rotos that have lasted me about 3/4 months (way too long, need to change them, have a pack here to replace them with and everything...I'm just so lazy) and they're still in that "prime" condition. Didn't take long to wear in either. Have to say I'm very impressed.

Though I'm very tempted to try Dean Markley Blue Steel next.
Quote by Gallardo147
Your sig says that your Schecter has EMG 81/85, Ernie Balls are the best for that

LOL, are you serious?!
I just researched DR Neons. Apparently they're awful!

Though I might actually get some if there's a period of numerous gigs week after week (so as to not waste the neon goodness on only one gig!) just for the flashiness of them!

...neon pink on an emerald-green-burst guitar might go down well.
Quote by Punk_Ninja

Usually I go either D'addario or Rotosound, I currently have a set of Rotos that have lasted me about 3/4 months (way too long, need to change them, have a pack here to replace them with and everything...I'm just so lazy) and they're still in that "prime" condition. Didn't take long to wear in either. Have to say I'm very impressed.

blue steel suck.

they are barely any better than ernie ball, and have a huge break in time.

from the way i string guitars, i usually have like a ten minute break in time. those dean markleys took like 5 hours.
Quote by SamZee
I believe they're referring to this video.

Again are you serious? Anyone who believes that is fact is out of their mind.
Heh, just relaying the information. As far as tone and longevity goes, yeah -- bollocks to EB. (Hah, no I'm not English.) But that video clearly shows the difference in the oscillation problem. Not like he tested every set of strings ever, just a few. But even if I had an ax with active EMGs, I still wouldn't string it with them.
Last edited by SamZee at Jul 23, 2011,
Maybe the strings feel like they are diggin and piercing into your figners because you're going from 9s to 10s, from what it looks like?

Anyways I just use Daddarios. Nickel wound in .10 gauge. I tried other strings and tbh, I don't notice a difference, except that I have never broken a string from daddario.
Quote by Sputnik1
Again are you serious? Anyone who believes that is fact is out of their mind.

people believe what they hear all the time. they just have to make some story on youtube, and people will believe.
It's a bit late, but anyway...

I've just bought a few sets of these:

I used to use D'Addario XL 110s and have used Ernie Ball Slinky 10s before.

Pyramids blow these two out of the water (so far). Have started off bright (in a new set of strings kind of sense), but not too bright (slinky bright). Well balanced. They sound very resonant, and really ring which just feels great. Out of the packaging they didn't feel very slick but I use Fast Fret anyway.

They have a roundcore > hexagonal so there's slightly less tension than other 10s of the same gauge. I can definitely feel this difference. Also because they have a roundcore you're not supposed to do any string stretching. I put them on yesterday and the guitar's been in a cool basement and they haven't really gone out of tune.

The only thing that remains to be seen is whether the sound quality lasts. I'd say they're better than the D'Addarios and head and shoulders better than the Ernie Ball's which didn't mellow well IMO. Scratch that, they didn't mellow at all.

I'd definitely recommend these to European UG-ers (they're hand wound in Germany).
Last edited by Duv at Jul 23, 2011,
^Gotta be careful when you string up round-core strings though, if you cut off the indention along the string's length when you trim them the core wire can move independently of the wraps. This severely shortens the string's life and can cause tuning issues.

I've noticed my favorite strings are almost all round-cores haha
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Punk_Ninja

I do very much want to try rotosound. My shop locally doesnt sell them so id have to order online but i will definitely try them man
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Quote by zincabopataurio
Maybe the strings feel like they are diggin and piercing into your figners because you're going from 9s to 10s, from what it looks like?

Anyways I just use Daddarios. Nickel wound in .10 gauge. I tried other strings and tbh, I don't notice a difference, except that I have never broken a string from daddario.

I used to use Power slinkies all the time for my LP (those were 11's i think) so i do have experience with higher gauge.
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Page 1 of 2