I've been playing guitar for about a year, and the only amp I've ever had is a Line 6 Spider IV (15 Watt). Basically, I just half-assed it by using the nice shiny buttons (shame on me), and now I'm regretting that... So, uh, I'm pretty much a 'noob'.

But I went out today and bought an MXR Fullbore Metal distortion pedal, hoping to mess around with it and get the tone I want out of it. So far it's great and I can get what I want (sort of), but I have one problem...

I set my amp to the clean setting, with everything turned all the way down, except for the master volume up just a bit, and the channel volume up quite a bit. Everything else is at 0. Then, when I turn on my pedal, anything I play sounds like the reverb is cranked. There's this huge echo effect for everything that comes out, even though I don't have that turned on at all. Am I just making a retarded beginner mistake? Any help would be awesome =)

Also, I want a pedal that can give a really sludgy sound, like you'd find in Neurosis or Isis, or even Mouth Of The Architect. Is the Fullbore Metal pedal good for something like this, or is there a pedal at the same price that can out-sludge it?

The guitar I'm using is a PRS SE Custom 24 with .12-60 strings, tuned in Drop B.
Well, it'll be hard to get a pedal to sound good through a spider. Did you plug your guitar into the pedal and then the pedal into the amp's input?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
What are the settings on the pedal set to?
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 20, 2011,
a prs se custom through a 15 watt spider........Im going to be sick
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Uh... these aren't exactly the settings I want, this is just what it's at now randomly.

Volume: 12:00
Freq:9:00
Gain: 1:30
Low: 12:00
Mid: 1:30
High: 12:00

And yes, my guitar obviously deserves a better amp. I'm just too poor to actually buy a good one at the moment :P
Is there distorion coming from the pedal, or just reverb?
Yes, there is distortion. But it's drowned out by this godawful reverb sound - it's like a tidal wave is playing through my guitar.

I know it's the not the setting's on the pedals, because I set it up the same as a video demo just to check. I'm going to assume it's my piece of sh!t amp.
Yeah it must be your itsy bitsy spider amp(no offence). I'm sorry that the pedal doesn't work right. How long have you had the spider? Do you think you could save up for a nice amp that will take the MXR pedal well?
None offense taken, it's not a good amp at all. I'm probably going to save up for a 50 Watt Marshall, which will blow this amp out of the water.

I'll try fooling around with the pedal some more, though. Thanks anyways.
Quote by ZombicidalMan
None offense taken, it's not a good amp at all. I'm probably going to save up for a 50 Watt Marshall, which will blow this amp out of the water.

I'll try fooling around with the pedal some more, though. Thanks anyways.

Ok, but DON'T get an MG! Just don't!

What 50 watt Marshall were you thinking of?

No problem, I enjoy trying to help others.
try putting the eq all on 12 o'clock and see if that helps. Most any modeling amp will not take pedals well.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Nice. That should defanatly take pedals well.
Quote by ZombicidalMan
I was thinking the MA50.

No thats an MG with tubes. And way overpriced for what it is. If you want a marshall look at a used jcm 800/900 or Plexi. I was not impressed at all with the tone that came from it. It is like an MG, because the onlything Marshall about it is the name.

The Marshall Class5 is way better than the MA line for budget marshall tone. Cheaper too.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Zombic, you'd really have to try it out to see if you like it. And try out other amps as well if you can.
Okay, so I found this tiny little Silvertone amp in my closet, and ironically the distortion pedal sounds completely perfect - so it obviously is the Spider that's the problem. Thanks for the help everyone!
Quote by Robbgnarly
No thats an MG with tubes. And way overpriced for what it is. If you want a marshall look at a used jcm 800/900 or Plexi. I was not impressed at all with the tone that came from it. It is like an MG, because the onlything Marshall about it is the name.

The Marshall Class5 is way better than the MA line for budget marshall tone. Cheaper too.

I'll definitely keep this in mind, so thanks a lot. Are there any other suggestions? I'm not set on Marshall in the least, it's just that they're the most common brand my music store has in stock. I mean, obviously I'd like an Orange amp or a Verellen, but I'm much too poor (and not skilled enough) for that. Anything that's like $200-400 is great for now.
Quote by ZombicidalMan
Okay, so I found this tiny little Silvertone amp in my closet, and ironically the distortion pedal sounds completely perfect - so it obviously is the Spider that's the problem. Thanks for the help everyone!

Great! I'm glad it worked out.
Jet City Amps JCA20 is a good amp, alot of people like Blackstar ht-1/ht-5, VHT Special 6 Ultra, Marshall Class 5, Blackheart Little Giant are all good budget amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Okay, thanks a lot, man. I'll go look at amps tomorrow and see if I kind can find any of them.