why are there active and passive volume pedals?

there is only one wah pedal when surely if there was an issue you would need an active and passive wah as well. is this right or do wah's operate differently
Quote by teh_goon
why are there active and passive volume pedals?

a passive volume pedal would be similar to how the volume knob on your guitar works. no battery needed, just throws signal to ground.

an active volume pedal would be able to offer a number of new improvements: buffer, boost/gain (i am sure there are more things).

Quote by teh_goon
[why is] there only one wah pedal when surely if there was an issue you would need an active and passive wah as well. is this right or do wah's operate differently

a wah is 'active', they use batteries, provide a buffer and probably a bit of gain because the inductor onboard throws a bunch of signal to ground and it needs to be able to stay in the mix.

wah's act very different from a volume pedal, but it is not fair to compare cuz there are also a number of different volume pedal designs.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
ah right, i saw it and just assumed it meant as in pickups, i.e you would need a passive one for passive pickups and an active one for actives
The term active and passive has a different meaning when using it to describe pedals by Ernie Ball. Rather than the pedal itself being passive (unpowered circuit) or active (powered circuit), EB uses it to describe the circuit it's in.

Just because the circuit is active, it doesn't mean you need the EB active pedal. This makes it all the more confusing. So having active pups doesn't mean you need the active pedal. In fact, even if you have active pups you still probably want the passive pedal. An EB actvie pedal should be normally used in a circuit with line level devices. This is because line levels devices normally operate in a lower impedance circuit. Thereby necessitating the lower impedance EB active pedal.

My profile has a blog on this. If you are putting the pedal in the FX loop of an amp and the FX loop is running at line level, then you should get the active (low impedance) pedal. Otherwise get the passive.